Red Seas Fire
Red Seas Fire

by Jamoose USER (6 Reviews)
November 14th, 2011 | 10 replies | 4,171 views

Review Summary: A hard-hitting progressive metal feast. And did I say it was free?

Who'd of thought that an album that sounded this good was being released free of charge! Red Seas Fire, hailing from various parts of Southern England, generously bring forth heavy riffs galore, solid vocals and a sleek production design that can easily place them up in the higher ranges of the new prog-metal scene. All this while being easily accessible to those who are the new to the genre, or who just want some good heavy music.

The six-track mini album is jam packed with heavy stop-start grooves, intense chug patterns, melodic leads and cleans and solos even the most hardcore prog-fan would enjoy. This is all embellished by subtle futuristic synth textures and beats, reminiscent of Periphery's self-titled (which would make sense since guitarist Adam "Nolly" Getgood is good friends with the band and will be co-producing their next album). The guitar tones are great, the drum samples are spot on, without any synthetic hints and still resting clear in the mix. And vocalist Robin Adams possesses an impressive singing range, along with his heavy screaming, and complements the music perfectly.

The album is clearly at its best when the band are just riffing out and all coming together. A light interlude in "Epinephrine" prepares the listener for one of the best breakdown sections I've ever heard while an explosion of a groove in "Cipher" is given its extra pacing by subtle synth beat layering, making it one of the highlight riffs of the album. More classic prog elements are prominent in the solo sections of "The Recovery" and "Cipher".

This album is a clear recommendation. I mean it's free. FREE. With this quality, I still can't comprehend how generous this is. You might as well check it out! And spread the word if you enjoy it that much and want to support them!