King Krule
King Krule

2.0
poor

by Sean Milo USER (24 Reviews)
November 13th, 2011 | 28 replies | 5,069 views

Review Summary: I am confident that our generation could do better than this.

It's not often nowadays you see seventeen year-old musicians getting critical attention. I feel like the younger generation is usually ignored in the music business, so when I saw the young True Panther signee Archy Marshall, who records under Zoo Kid and King Krule, on the front page of Pitchfork, I got pretty excited. However, after reading an interview with him, I was rather discouraged. He seemed awfully pretentious for somebody his age, almost to the point of sounding immature. Hoping that Archy's wry personality would not be reflected in his music, I gave his debut self titled EP a try.

Unfortunately, Marshall's music does not seem to do the younger generation much justice. His music is said to reflect the dissilusionment of his generation in the wake of the recent London riots carried out by the younger British demographic. I'm sure this is quite a simple parallel to draw, but Marshall's gloomy blues driven by hip-hop inspired beats shows nothing more than the bored expression he wears in all of his photo shoots (along with his wardrobe which appears to be intended for someone twice his size).

The release opens with a short instrumental piece titled "36N63", which gives the listener a good taste of basically what the King Krule is all about. It opens with a bluesy guitar line, melancholic with reverb playing over an upright bass and a dancey beat. It all sounds very nice until Marshall starts to sing on the next track, "Bleak Blake". Marshall's mumbly and low vocals blend with the music just about as well as Lou Reed blends in with Metallica. His overly-British exaggerated vowel sounds get extremely irritating by the end of the thirteen minutes the ep occupies.

On paper, Archy Marshall's music really does not sound like a bad idea. The bluesy guitar and distant snare hits on "36N63" really go together well and sound like something that could go places if done right. But Archy Marshall, unfortunately, does not seem to be doing it right. The single on the EP, "The Noose of Jah City", sounds far too hazy and weary for it's own good, and in the end, doesn't seem to go anywhere. King Krule really sounds like a project that could go places, but at the moment Archy should worry about filling out his clothes.

Sinforiano Diaz The Moosup SessionsThe Cure Disintegration
Death Grips The Money StoreDinosaur Feathers Whistle Tips
Math the Band Don't WorryCloud Nothings Attack on Memory
huf (4)
"Being into graffiti you look at words as the letters, so I'd look at the aesthetics of a word and i...

danielsfrebirth (3)
The debut from British teen musician Archy Marshall contains four and a half good songs that transce...

6 Feet Beneath the Moon

robertsona
November 13th 2011

i haven't heard anything from this but did you like "out getting ribs" and "ocean bed"? because those are gorgeous and if you dont like them then this is probably worth gettin :P

Shrapnel94
November 13th 2011

I actually really enjoy Out Getting Ribs. I wasn't a fan of Ocean Bed though.

Shrapnel94

Doubl post

Donkey Kong 64 is a great game

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

November 14th 2011

I agree that Archie is really pretentious, but I still love him and I kind of like the reverb-y, hazy sound and the apathetic vocals.

AliW1993
November 14th 2011

This guy's been getting a bit of hype so I may give this a go. I kinda suspected it wouldn't be great though.

iluvtweepop

It's good, I think

Aids
November 14th 2011

nice review, but I feel like it was too short or something. Short reviews are usually fine but you don't really go into too much detail here and I don't think you really justify the 2/5 rating. It was a good review though so I'll pos.

I heard one song from this guy and it was pretty good. Didn't seem worth the hype imo but I'll need to hear the whole thing I guess.

November 14th 2011

Yeah, I'm not just saying this because I like the guy but your review doesn't really seem like a "2" and most of your negativity seems to be about the artist himself.

Adabelle
November 18th 2011

Enjoyed Noose of Jah City, debating whether to download the ep.

foxblood
December 1st 2011

i'm surprised that this isn't terrible, jah city is somewhat interesting. idk if i'll listen to the whole thing or not

Jash
December 1st 2011

I really enjoyed this EP, I can't wait for his full length. I read that Jay Electronica wanted to lay down a verse on "The Noose Of Jah City", I hope that happens

foxblood
December 12th 2011

i see you gave this a 4 silent, i guess it's worth listening to the whole thing.

December 12th 2011

This is so good. The main drawback is that it's so short and it feels like some of the songs have been cut short, but it's obvious this kid has so much talent. His collection of singles as Zoo Kid is great, too.

Electric City
December 12th 2011

i really dig jah city. would love to hear a whole album from him. when he hits his potential, he's fantastic.

December 12th 2011

Yeah, I feel like when he can make complete songs, they're ridiculously well-done. Unless something fucks up his talent, I feel pretty confident that his possible full length next year should be great.

00mee
January 26th 2012

just gandered up some of those zoo kid songs

the kid has talent for sure.

BASTAG
May 13th 2012

The EP is really short. But it's really great.

Adabelle
May 13th 2012

All dem faux hipster indie posers up at my school are all over this

May 13th 2012

I can't wait for whatever he has hopefully in store for this year.