Laura Veirs
Tumble Bee

by Ali CONTRIBUTOR (130 Reviews)
November 12th, 2011 | 10 replies

Review Summary: Come up horsey, hey hey...

Becoming a parent has a habit of changing one's outlook on life, and on the surface that would certainly seem to be the case with Laura Veirs. The 38 year-old songstress has always shown herself capable of excelling in the art of pastoral folk loveliness, but becoming a mother for the first time has led her to a style that fits her talents perfectly. If you've not already gathered, Tumble Bee is, as it's sleeve states, an album of folk covers for children, and although it sees Veirs embarking on new musical ground the impression you get while listening is that few artists currently in action would make a better fist of such a niche.

Lullabies might be a feverishly simple form of music, but you'd be surprised how challenging it is to perfect them as Veirs does rather frequently here. As you'd expect, it's a record that's perennially upbeat, friendly and wouldn't sound out of place in a creche full of bratty unappreciative two year olds. Thankfully, though, its appeal reaches far broader than that. You'll be hard pushed to find an adult who won't crack a smile to 'King Kong Kitchie Kitchie Ki-Me-O,' and wonderful melodies such as those of the classics 'Little Lap-Dog Lullaby' and 'The Fox' have provided the essence of all great pop music down the ages. Indeed the fact that these traditional songs remain popular today proves their immense staying power, which is at odds with the simplicity with which they are driven.

To her credit, Veirs channels these basic aspects brilliantly. Her cutesy, inviting voice suits this particular genre to perfection, while her stripped down acoustic takes of the songs exposes the raw qualities within each cut. Her rendition of Woodie Guthrie's 'Why Oh Why' is especially lovely, as is 'Soldier's Joy,' which features a contribution from Decemberists mastermind Colin Meloy, but in fairness there are only a handful of tracks which don't hit that particularly pleasant spot. Indeed while it may not be her strongest album from a creative perspective, Tumble Bee certainly ranks among her most enjoyable, and should provide a welcome dose of cheer during the bleak winter months ahead. A simple and rather juvenile pleasure it may be, but the enjoyment we can gain from albums like this proves that there's still a child alive in all of us.

King Creosote From Scotland With LoveRM Hubbert First and Last
Withered Hand New GodsThe Twilight Sad Live at Paisley Abbey
Stephen Malkmus Wig Out At JagbagsThe Strypes Snapshot

Also posted on http://www.muzikdizcovery.com/

Nothing outstanding but something that everyone will enjoy

theacademy
November 12th 2011

urgh i might have looked into this until i saw your "recommended by reviewer"

BLECHHHHHHH

Digging: Chris Brown - X

Tyrael

20883 Comments

Cool review but I'm not gonna check it out because lol Sufjan Stevens

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

November 12th 2011

Take all of those with a pinch of salt, they were merely the first things that spring to mind. I find it hard to envisage anyone not enjoying this at least a bit.

theacademy
November 12th 2011

yeah i pos'd though so don't feel too bad :D

Sounds like a fair deal

November 12th 2011

If you've not already gathered, Tumble Bee is, as it's sleeve states

its*. Superbly well written review, my friend. I love how consistent you've been recently.

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

thebhoy

nice didn't know she had a new album coming out, I liked July Flame

Xenophanes
November 13th 2011

Ah Ali, you are so damn good. Seriously great review!

Couple instances where the wrong "its" is used, but other than that it's absolutely grand!

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

X12Celtics3
November 20th 2011

I don't understand why people don't like the "recommended by reviewer" albums. July Flame and Seven Swans are incredible, and From the Choirgirl Hotel is really good.

Anyway, I haven't heard this yet, but I'm expecting to find it enjoyable.