Saintseneca

by ToastScience USER (2 Reviews)
November 10th, 2011 | 18 replies | 4,335 views

Review Summary: An amazing, heartfelt folk album. One of the best of its generation.

My journey into the genre of folk started at an early age, with my whole childhood being brought up on the more poppy sounds of Jack Johnson (an obsession of my mothers.) As my tastes matured to more heavy sounds such as System of a Down and Rise against in my early teens I started to long for the soothing, complex acoustic sounds of folk again. This was well timed as my tastes expanded exponentially and delved deeper into the unknown realms of the indie and obscure, bands such as The Mountain Goats and Iron & Wine soon enveloped my musical tastes. Then it happened; I came across a little blog, the name escaped me now; they were raving about this little known folk band. Well seeming as I am a man of supporting the smaller, unknown musicians I gave them a look. And WOW is all I am able to say.

Saintseneca formed in Columbus, Ohio and as their band page states it was "Childhood and chance that bought us together". A very fitting statement, and is expressed strongly throughout their music, with lyrics that delve into the mistakes, tolls on their friendships and far deeper things such as death, the afterlife and love. An example of some of this lyrical perfection is from the song Shipwrecks and Missing Dogs.

Speaking of lyrics they are masterfully preformed by Zac Little, his roughish, shaky voice adding the perfect amount of texture that compliments the emotion that is expressed and rawness of the lyrics. His voice truly shines through on tracks such as Beasts, where the listener can hear every heartfelt moment that he sings about as if it were their own. Cold Water History changes it up with band member Steve Jacobs bringing his more popish vocal style to make one of my personal favorite tracks off this album.

The instrument playing for this album is top notch, each guitar strum and banjo twang having its perfect place; whether it is in the background or sanding shouting out front. You can hear the obsession that Saintsencea has with acoustic instruments, with violins, guitars, banjos and a plethora of sounds that I wish I had the musical knowledge to place a name to. Stomps and claps are added to amazing effect here, adding that bit of oomph that is lacking from some other folk bands.

After listening to this album for well over 100 times since it was released I can confidently say that the joy of it has not diminished even slightly. This is diffidently my top album for 2011, if not all time (up to now). The joy that I feel from this album are something that is difficult to put into words. Give it a listen, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Eli EMERITUS (4.3)

Dark Arc

InAbsentia
November 10th 2011

Sounds great. I'll give it a listen.

Ovrot

good review
pos'd

Digging: Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

pedro70512
November 10th 2011

Short and sweet, though you don't mention many tracks by name so it's hard to know where to start.
Pos'd.

BugZoid
November 10th 2011

I will need to remember this one. Well written!

letsgofishing
November 10th 2011

Pleasant album to listen to..

Review was damn solid. POS.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

ToastScience
November 10th 2011

There are some track names in there, hard to pick out because I pulled it straight from my blog which lets me bold em. :P

balcaen
November 10th 2011

this sounds really interesting, gonna give it a go. you should ass some albums in "recommended by reviewer".

DinoX
November 10th 2011

This sounds pretty good have a pos

sixthgoldenticket
November 10th 2011

so happy this has a review, it's good to see ohio bands on sputnik

Eskate87
November 11th 2011

sounds great. glad to see Ohio artists getting rep'd. listening now on Spotify :D

Ethics
October 7th 2012

One of the best of 2011.
Incredible band.

Ethics
October 10th 2012

bump for hopes of more people checking this out

Xenophanes
January 5th 2013

Just saw this band. Sooo gooood.

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

TenSecondsToThink
January 8th 2013

Fuck, I hate listening to a new album and then there's this fucking On Or No song that I have to replay so many times that it prevents me from listening to the rest of the album until I get tired of the band. DAMN YOU; PUT YOUR A-SONGS AT THE END OF THE ALBUM:

Digging: Ellie Goulding - Halcyon Days

TenSecondsToThink
January 8th 2013

Well, luckily it only lasted two hours.

ProfessorVeerappan
March 4th 2013

an absolute delight
this album is flipped out
makes you pull down
relax and folk out

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

Aids
March 5th 2013

this is the best thing ever and you are all silly for having not already listened to it

rien333
March 28th 2013

Don't really get why this isn't more popular on here, it seems to go great with other popular albums on Sputnik.