World's Strongest Man
Every Woman Wishes To Wed

by RATCHET SKANK 777 USER (203 Reviews)
November 7th, 2011 | 24 replies

Review Summary: Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little: More than machinery we need humanity; More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all wil

Up until last week I wasn't even aware of a local music scene but thankfully to the kind folks hanging around the entrance to The Talent Farm I was introduced to some pretty cool bands. A conversation developed between me and these random high-school kids. It began with Touche Amore and blackgaze, evolved into dolphin rape and closed out with a "dude you better check out World's Strongest Man they're pretty good" recommendation. So I took heed of that advice. And what I found was a pretty nifty post-rock band taking cues from emo, indie rock and math rock.

"Every Woman Wishes To Wed" is a four track, mostly instrumental affair that boasts sociological themes and dynamic songwriting. The guitars are the primary focus, often making use of the genre's staple traits. Soft to heavy dynamics, twinkly melodies, soaring crescendos and so forth. In addition some screamed vocals, stop-start rhythms and offbeat riffage are incorporated into their cogent sound bringing in a mathy screamo element. The contrast between the two styles is significant because of how well they accentuate one another. Despite the shifting from soft to heavy or low to fast, the band keep the music engaging and accessible due to their exceptional musical talent. The songwriting is passionate and inspired, ambitious and expressive yet fluid in it's delivery. Nothing comes off as sounding forced or disjointed and for that I give World's Strongest Man two thumbs up.

A prominent message of hope and optimism radiates throughout this recording. The album title alone indicates that. The message is furthered through the opening sequence of "This Is Nothing Like Riding a Bike" which takes a page from the great Charlie Chaplin with his impassioned Great Dictator speech. "We think too much and feel too little." Once the music begins the mood still remains sunny and optimistic. That's the thing I like about this album. The mood. World's Strongest Man play music with real emotion and a real sense of positivity that affects me deeply. These days I rarely feel happy or maintain high spirits for long so when something like this comes along it leaves me feeling satisfied and in a better emotional state. Something that black metal really cant do for me. This isn't quintessential by any means but it's worthy of your time.

Destroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & WarSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the WormTheophany Time's End: Majora's Mask Remixed
At Dawn They Sleep Red SunBlack Magick SS Panzerwitch

Ovrot

I'll wed you

November 7th 2011

Feeling pretty vulnerable right now, NEVER LEAVE MY SIDE!!!!!!

Also link.

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

Relinquished
November 7th 2011

I relate to this review for the Talent Farm reference.

November 7th 2011

I can't believe a band this good hails from the area. Or at least closeby.

pizzamachine
November 7th 2011

Yo, your summary looks unfinished.

Artie makes music?

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

Xenophanes
November 7th 2011

Sounds like this could be my type of thing. Great review.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

November 7th 2011

Summary could have been expanded upon but ehh...maybe i'll revise it later. Thanks bras.

Acanthus
November 7th 2011

Front page reads: World's Strongest Man - Every Woman Wishes to Wed BallsToTheWall

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

Giggity giggity.

November 8th 2011

I never thought I would see the day when a Pete and Pete reference would go unnoticed. fuck all of you.

November 8th 2011

I'm not really sure im familiar with that.

November 8th 2011

one of the greatest shows from the early 90s. i think it's on netflix. watch it.

Adam speaks the truth. Great review btw =D

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

TheTalentFarm
November 8th 2011

World's Strongest Man, at least for this album was a confluence of style and structure unlike most of the things I've recently heard, let alone having had the opportunity to record.

WSM at the time was a collaboration of two very talented musicians who were literally on the same page throughout the entire recording process. Drawing on old school techniques and modern day looping pedals & electronic wizardry, the effort had a uniqueness to it from the very start. Fast forward two, maybe three sessions later and the blueprint for the album was in place. To be quite honest, the recording process for me was minimal. Simple good mic'ing technique (yes, SM-57's) and very little touch up, left the original vibe unscathed. That is to say basically whatever you hear on this album actually went down in the studio.

I've never worked less on an album that came out so good.

Big props to Jared & Josiah and WSM for reminding me again, that less is more.

Aids
November 8th 2011

this sounds great, I shall check it out.

awesome review, pos.
awesome avatar, mindpos.

November 8th 2011

Production on this is really, really good. Definitely looking forward to the opportunity of seeing these guys live.

TheSpirit
November 8th 2011

Saw this and initially thought it was the same as worlds end girlfriend

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

November 8th 2011

Still never got around to listening to World's End Girlfriend.

TheSpirit