Cynic
Carbon-Based Anatomy

by someguest USER (23 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2011 | 143 replies | 9,807 views

Review Summary: Cynic fall deeper into new age philosophy and mellow out even further.

Cynic has rapidly changed the base sound of their material, but there has been absolutely no effort on behalf of the band to try to hide this fact. It could be a natural progression; it may also be the direction the band has wished to take since inception. The possibility of a chance to chase a more thought-provoking sound might have been realized when the band released Traced In Air, a shift from a technical side of music to one which focused more on an atmosphere and the feeling it creates, to stellar reviews and an enormous amount of fanfare. And so, in the nature of this progression, the band has entirely abandoned almost all of the metal aspects of their sound and is out to showcase their new revelation. This different focus, along with a new bassist and more female guest vocals, try to inspire a new musical awareness in their listeners as well.

Technicality present in past releases has been traded in for a sound which could be described as someone travelling through space. The song structure based around riffs that still existed on Traced In Air has been replaced by upfront bass paired with melodic guitar lines. These melodic lines of guitar are what really give the album a trademarked spacey feel, while the still present guitar solos connect the sections of the songs together to keep them cohesive and flowing well. Fans of the band will be surprised when they hear a breakdown within the title track. However, it remains only a sporadic distant memory of the band’s sound on their debut album, Focus. There are many sounds present here which haven’t been explored by the band before: keyboards, middle-eastern instruments, and no vocoder. The vocoder has been completely replaced by clean singing (and there’re absolutely no growls to be found on this album either). While Masdival isn’t the most proficient vocalist, the parts where he has trouble getting through the songs are helped along by the presence of “group vocals”, or the successful layering of Masdival’s vocals.

When it was discovered that Masdival wouldn’t be using anything but his own voice, it became obvious the band was going to do whatever they wanted to do. There’s been talk that the interludes are nothing but filler, but they complete the overall mood that’s trying to be achieved: transcendence and peace. The huge focus on meditation (“Amidst The Coals”, “Bija!”) keep this mood in the forefront by expanding on the extra terrestrial quality of the album and introducing some musical territory the band has failed to enter in the past. Lyrically, the album is vague to someone who doesn’t understand all of the new age terminology, but it sounds cool and fits the tones presented by the music. All in all, it’s just another excellent Cynic album – the only thing that hasn’t changed as the band continues to age.

Johnny Cash Johnny Cash With His Hot And Blue GuitarNew Order Substance
Deftones Koi No YokanDFRNT Fading
Radiohead In RainbowsArghoslent Hornets of the Pogrom
TheSpaceMan (3)
Cynic created a promising album that falls short in its presentation....

Matthew D. French (4)
Cynic’s future looks bright....

Eli EMERITUS (4)
From the deepest parts of the Amazon, to all corners of the universe, Cynic's "Carbon-Based Anatomy"...

20393 Comments

I couldn't let this sit on my computer any longer. If it's an issue, it can be removed and I can repost it later on in the week. No qualms.

Cheers.

pos

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

Jom
November 3rd 2011

As long as there's a stream somewhere (or an official release date in some country), you should be fine. Thanks.

Hawks
November 3rd 2011

Nice review bud. This is a decent EP.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

Cells

Sweet

climactic

wheres the dm

nah this is pretty sick

dammets

2035 Comments

Seeing Cynic this saturday. Can't wait.

Hyperion1001

neg

Digging: Shed - Shot Selection

20393 Comments

I couldn't find one. I'm betting on one coming out tomorrow. If not, I can just repost it. I believe the official worldwide release date is the 11th.

November 3rd 2011

Cool review. I actually really love Masdival's vocals, both modified and natural. Not sure why, just love his melodies and the timbre I guess.

I'm really loving this right now.. can't stop listening to it. The only major thing I would criticize is the final track. The other two "interludes" are amazing but the last one leaves me wanting more a bit. I get that it's just supposed to be an outro of sorts but I can't help but feel like it doesn't add much and I'm just sitting through it for the sake of completion.

20393 Comments

His vocals aren't the best, but they're fine without all the modification. I just really love the space sound on this album (it might be my favorite release by the band), and the final track really puts that aspect together well.

NOTINTHEFACE
November 3rd 2011

This sounds awesome. Sounds sort of like the Portal LP they put out after Focus. Anyway, I have it preordered and am eagerly awaiting its release. Maybe I'll be able to stop playing Skyrim long enough to listen to it.

Yazz_Flute
November 3rd 2011

I love "Box Up My Bones" so much.

Digging: Eskaton - 4 Visions

November 3rd 2011

Yeah, I think I like the idea of the last track more than I like the actual track. The other shorter tracks just feel more fleshed-out and offer me more to explore. The last one is very pretty but it's a little thin... which especially stands out against the rest of the album that feels so varied and engaging. I don't skip it or anything though, it's still cool.

I want a shirt with this album cover so bad.

20393 Comments

Although opinions are quite varied on the actual sound of the album, I think we can all agree it's the best album cover of the year.

Yazz_Flute
November 3rd 2011

I actually don't really like the album cover. It's kinda gross-looking. Reminds me of Balut.

November 3rd 2011

I would hang it on my wall. Easy.

Album's a little disappointing