Florence and the Machine
Ceremonials

by ednights USER (5 Reviews)
October 31st, 2011 | 38 replies | 4,521 views

Review Summary: She is the drowning protagonist of What The Water Gave Me, her pockets filled not with stones but musical instruments and industry hype

Ssh now Florence. Get back in your mirrored box.

It's clear what the aim for this album was: taking Florence's goth-pop and blowing it up to epic, anthemic proportions. Instead, what she's delivered is fifteen tracks of overblown, monotonous pop bombast. Mostly, it feels forced, Florence living up to her bands name with a churning machine that, ironically enough, undermines her attempts at epic music. In isolation, singles like Shake It Off are easily digested, yet as a whole album it's relentlessly loud monotone. There's no diversity here, no light and shade, no time to breathe - for us or for Florence. A few acoustic tracks and demos don't count - they're little more than an afterthought. A far cry from the majesty of 'Lungs', 'Ceremonials' is sometimes haunting yet comes far closer to a collection of X-Factor celebration songs.

It's all peppered with electric guitar and synths, though the incessant tribal drums and endless choir choruses become tiresome. Individual instruments do shine - the church organ of No Light, No Light; the deep rumbling synths of Remain Nameless; the shimmering harp break in Spectrum. Indeed, musically there is some great stuff here and some catchy melodies (particularly Never Let Me Go), but it's stifled by bad production. Rarely has music sounded so overcrowded, or a vocal sounded so suffocated. She is the drowning protagonist of What The Water Gave Me, her pockets filled not with stones but musical instruments and industry hype. Florence need look no further than Bjork or Bat For Lashes to see how to do goth-pop with delicate subtlety.

But it's not just the production at fault here, it's Florence herself. The album exposes the limits of her vocals, reduced to screeching banshee for the majority of tracks. I suspect, though, this is to keep up with the overwhelming instrumentation. Also questionable is Florence's dubious songwriting ability. Lyrically, for all its fantastical and religious imagery, this is vacuous stuff. What exactly are the heartlines on your head?

Perhaps 'Lungs' was just a lucky break. Or perhaps success has gone to her head. Is Florence really the musical goddess the pop industry has labelled her as?

MTV Unplugged

Lungs

Aids
October 31st 2011

in before sputnik shits on your face. good review, pos

greg84
October 31st 2011

Good review! I haven't heard this one yet.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

AliW1993

You mad?!

Pretty good review but I strongly disagree.

Knott-

X-Factor celebration songs?

What the fuck?

psykonaut

goth-pop?

what the fuck?

clercqie
October 31st 2011

Good review, and I'm more inclined to agree with this review instead of Ali's one...

Digging: Vessel - Punish, Honey

jefflebowski
October 31st 2011

great review, pretty much exactly my thoughts on the album

'goth pop? what the fuck?'

didn't florence herself describe her music using words to that effect?

Digging: Tom Waits - Bone Machine

STOP SHOUTING!
October 31st 2011

tend to go with this too.
florence and the hype machine.

Valerius

(4.5 + 2.5) / 2 = 3.5

There is your rating.

psykonaut
October 31st 2011

didn't florence herself describe her music using words to that effect?

i dunno. if she did say that i can kinda a little bit understand where she was coming from but if we're gonna cite bjork as an example of "goth-pop" done right then what the fuck

AngelofDeath
October 31st 2011

Should neg for the rating, but the review's not bad.

coneren

angel do it

greg84
October 31st 2011

Troll neg alert! Some people on this site really need to get real.

hamid95
October 31st 2011

Waayyyyy to negative towards this album. I found it to be a positive surprise, after being quite skeptical before the release. Good review, though.

StrangerofSorts

Dat summary.

I haven't heard this LP, don't plan to if I'm honest. I've always been annoyed with FatM - so this review pleases me.

jeremologyy
October 31st 2011

i am indifferent on this LP so far. kind of in the middle. though i actually think it's better / more fleshed out than Lungs, which I did not like too much. I agree her vocals have limitations, which is why I find acoustic versions of her songs a lot better usually. She can make good stuff when she really tries.

Knott-
October 31st 2011

The first line of this review is so fucking stupid, and the same tone carries through to the rest of the write-up.

Fieryfenderz

Oh bullshit

thebhoy
October 31st 2011

your arguments aren't particularly strong. Not sure what album you're listening to either.

zxlkho
October 31st 2011

I'm not sure what to think of this review...