Weezer
The Green Album

by Old Uncle Al USER (86 Reviews)
December 18th, 2005 | 27 replies | 2,774 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

With a couple of great albums, one that was hugely successful and one that was shunned by society, Weezer was one of the 90's premier alternative acts. Hot off the heels of the successful Blue Album, Weezer released Pinkerton, a commercial disaster. The thing is, in the new millenium it was deemed a classic. That's right, a classic. Weezer decided to take a few years off to recover from the Pinkerton, err, disaster, and Rivers decided to move into a house and spraypaint all the windows black and lock all the doors full time. He did this because he was writing songs that Weezer could make a comback with. The first that Weezer would make in 4 years as a band was The Christmas Song, that was featured on the Kevin & Bean X-Mas album. And, shortly following the official return of Weezer, the guys quickly assembled some of the better songs that Rivers had written, hooked up with former producer (and former Car member) Ric Ocasek, and started a speedy recording.
The Result: The Green Album.

The Band:
Rivers Cuomo - Vocals, Guitars
Brian Bell - Guitars, Vocals
Mikey Welsh - Bass, Vocals
Pat Wilson - Drums & Pecussion

Let's put it this way. Weezer haven't knocked themselves out with being the most diverse, inspired and creative band out there for this album, seeing as they never vary out of their limits. Songs like "Crab", "Simple Pages" and "Don't Let Go" are all catchy, up beat power chord power pop with little or no depth (quite the turn off to fans of Pinkerton). The quirky sound is accompanied with Rivers' wimpy high school poet vocals, which never really progress the song. Instead, it seems the band resorts to mere catchiness to entertain the listener, something that easily makes for a boring listen, even if the songs themselves are rather good.

In context, this should either be a complete failure or a complete success. So it's a shame that it's neither, but rather a mere average album with a few power chords, vocal-pattern guitar solos, and (once again) catchy and upbeat guitar song. The song writing is not exactly cutting edge, especially since it's been five years since the band's last proper release. Rivers spent his time alone in a house writing songs for five years, so it's rather dissapointing when songs like "Crab" and "Knock-Down Drag-Out" come accross - both extremely simple songs with little more going for them then accessable guitar pop. But either way, it makes for a half decent listen, mostly if you're looking for a good summer party album. But otherwise, it's almost frustrating to early Weezer fans, knowing that they're capable of so much more, let alone creating actual individual sounding songs.

A dissapointment seems to sum this up, but that's not to say it doesn't have it's moments. "Island in the Sun" and "Glorious Days" are both rather simple, but once again they border on extremely wonderful based on sheer catchiness. But being catchy doesn't save this album from being a dissapointment. It's short, at barely half an hour, and the band sounds bored with their own sound throughout. A huge let down, and a mere average album.

brokeNCYDE I'm Not a Fan, but the Kids Like It!Gregor Samsa 55:12
Niobe White HatsMatthew Good Hospital Music
Bad Astronaut Houston: We Have a Drinking ProblemBad Astronaut Acrophobe
3.1
good

December 18th 2005

I always thought "Hash Pipe" was about, uh, marijuana.

But yeah, I hate new Weezer.

December 18th 2005

I always thought "Hash Pipe" was about, uh, marijuana.

But yeah, I hate new Weezer.

They called it "Half-pipe" on the music channels ROFLMAO

December 18th 2005

i should edit this... hang on

December 18th 2005

That's probably because they aren't permitted to say "hash". On MTV2 last night, they had a System of a Down concert on, and they ******* the word 'cocaine'.

December 18th 2005

It's the same with every drug, like Machine Head's video Days Turn Blue To Grey. When Robb sings "Drinking, fighting, heroine" They edit out heroine. Quite annoying if you ask me.

innerdark

it's the beginning of th overreaction of society

if it ain't PC or pro government, censor it

2 words. #### That!!

crap, it got censored

Sepstrup
December 18th 2005

Censorship sucks. Nice review. I recently bought Blue Album, which I'm enjoying... Is this similar?

it's the beginning of th overreaction of society

if it ain't PC or pro government, censor it

2 words. #### That!!

crap, it got censored

How you not on MSN?

barosjn
December 18th 2005

I saw that same System of a Down concert. They also censored out "ho" in "Revenga", "fix" in "This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song", and "asshole" in "Kill Rock 'N Roll" (just the "hole" part anyway).

BringHomeTheBacon
December 18th 2005

I do like this album. It's a very happy album after a very dark album. But c'mon, 28 minutes long? This Message Edited On 12.18.05

Sepstrup -
As far as the blue album goes, it's alot more pop rock than the other albums. Green Album is the second poppiest. I would recommend that if you like the Blue Album as much as i do, you would like the green album.

pulseczar
December 18th 2005

This is the best of the nu Weezer albums, which isn't saying much. Oh Rivers you silly little man...

December 18th 2005

I'm not sure I even like old weezer that much.

December 18th 2005

The Blue Album was solid.

^HEATHEN

that was directed toward Cheeto T

December 18th 2005

I honestly don't like Pinkerton that much and the blue album is just nothing more than a 3.5 for me.

December 18th 2005

queston: why is no-one comparing this too the other review?
why hasn't any said ANYTHING about my review yet?

December 18th 2005

ANYTHING about my review yet.

There you go.

December 18th 2005

Because no one bothers to read track by tracks anymore.