Crying Over Pros For No Reason

by Jonny Hunter CONTRIBUTOR (103 Reviews)
October 28th, 2011 | 51 replies | 7,687 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The soundtrack to a late-night drive.

IDM died a long time ago. It bled out artists in the early 00's as they went on to newer pastures. This isn't surprising when you put it under inspection: IDM was so embedded in finding new and inventive ways to produce audio experiences that all there was to do within the genre was done within 5 years of it being established. It's only more recently that a new generation of IDM artists has emerged: these people take the core style of IDM and splice it with more contemporary influences. In essence, they bring IDM into the 21st century.

edIT's roots lie in indie hip-hop, which he produced and collaborated on for many years before deciding to create an album of his own. As a result of this, his debut LP Crying Over Pros For No Reason drips with the relaxed, hip-hop atmosphere that fans of producers such as DJ Shadow will be very familiar with: it's laid back, but with a very subtle hint of melancholy.

A cursory listen will show this hip-hop influence to be heavily dominated by the glitch-IDM style. The fast paced, dynamic drum beats take the lead, while the mix of synths and bass flicker around it. As if often the case with IDM, however, the percussion begins to lose it's prominence to the listener's consciousness after a while, fading into the background to leave the melodies and textures up for a closer look. What becomes apparent as a result of this is that, as an album, Crying Over Pros For No Reason is incredibly soulful. Although there might not be a specific story or theme to the LP, what we get is emotional: from the brief outbursts of vocals on Dex to the blues guitar sounds overlaying Mop Head.

But edIT isn't one to get carried away, this blues mood is only apparent in the late-stages of your time with the LP. The relaxed atmosphere is always at the forefront, even to the point of casual conversation being sampled in Ants. Far from detracting from the experience this works to break down any predispositions you may have while getting you into the perfect mood for the rest of the LP.

Ultimately, Crying Over Pros For No Reason may not be completely redefining genres, but this very smooth blend of hip-hop and glitch is produced with enough intelligence and style to add depth to an already interesting mix.

Throwing Snow MosaicSOHN Tremors
A Winged Victory for the Sullen Atomos VIIPlinth (UK) Music For Smalls Lighthouse
The Correspondents Puppet Loosely StrungSon Lux Alternate Worlds

I like this, a lot.

Yotimi
October 28th 2011

album's so good. Ants is amazing and Ashtray always reminds me of At the Drive-In's Invalid Litter Dept.

MassiveAttack

agreed.

Rev
October 28th 2011

thank you for this review. It really needed one

This is better than anything the Glitch Mob has ever done

October 28th 2011

Yeh I was going to go into the whole Glitch Mob stuff but thought I'd just end up ranting.

MisterTornado

"Burial Untrue
DJ Shadow Entroducing
Autechre LP5"

...wholy fuck those are some quality recommendations.

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

October 28th 2011

"...wholy fuck those are some quality recommendations. "

I'm thinking of putting them for every review I do.

"so... they took music from the 21st century and brought it into the 21st century?"

IDM is 90's. Thought that was common knowledge.

i read early 00s and am really new to electronic music

i read early 00s and am really new to electronic music, my bust

October 28th 2011

It ended in early 00's (at least I think it did - other people may have differing opinions) but it was going strong throughout the 90s.

Yotimi
October 28th 2011

this really doesn't sound anything like those recommendationss though

October 28th 2011

Probably should explain them.

Use of vocal samples on some tracks reminded me of Burial.
Dj Shadow has a similar vibe.
Autechre.

Rev

that

Manic_
October 29th 2011

surprised this never had a review but yeah this is much better than Glitch Mob

this

October 29th 2011

Meh, it's a personal opinion. I've already stated that. And by "dead" I merely mean that its heyday is over. Is that okay? -.-

Manic_
October 29th 2011

I merely mean that its heyday is over. Is that okay?

i can agree with that but "dead" is a bold word to use, a lot of people would say the same thing about house and techno but those genres are still trotting along.

October 29th 2011

In my view it's the same thing as dead languages. Take Latin: people still learn and use it (mostly for technical terms etc.), but we consider it dead because it's not attached to any current ethnicity or social group as a primary form of communication. IDM barely exists in its pure form, usually only appearing in conjunction with some other styles, so I'd say it's similar to that extent. It remains as more of an influence than a straight up genre. Is that fair to say?