Counterparts
The Current Will Carry Us

by Eli EMERITUS
October 27th, 2011 | 842 replies | 41,833 views

Review Summary: In their utter refusal to progress, Counterparts head down the long and winding road to irrelevance.

Oh how well trodden this path has become, the road filled with the countless footprints of many melodic hardcore bands who’ve vainly tried to make their mark on history. These are the same footprints of those who’ve become mere flashes in the pan, as well as those who fizzled out before ever being noticed. It’s become rather difficult to pay any attention to newcomers, as they simply blend into the glut of metalcore/hardcore acts that have proceeded to form a singular, stagnated sound. Although bands that have stood out before, namely Misery Signals and Architects, did a lot for the genre in regards to popularity and prestige, they did more bad than good, exacerbating the stagnation and lack of ideas.

Enter Counterparts, an Ontario act who’s received quite a lot of attention since their debut, Prophets. Fusing passion and heaviness, Counterparts has captured the hearts of many with their metalcore tinged brand of hardcore. They’re a confident group of young musicians that much is sure, but their sound is derivative to the point that they simply refuse to make a name for themselves. They’ve wrung dry every cliché, making their latest, The Current Will Carry Us nothing more than a tired, vapid excursion into something that’s been done to death, and by many bands better than them.

Perhaps it’s being too harsh to call The Current Will Carry Us expressly bad. It’s not. Even the most menial aspects of the album show at least a modicum of redemption. The young men of Counterparts are very competent musicians, with each member displaying a very nice amount of proficiency in regards to their craft. The vocals, despite being a carbon copy of every melodic hardcore band post-2005, are rather amiable, and never once sound too forced or too trite. There’s a lot of power behind them, and Brendan Murphy has great control. The rest of the band matches Murphy in skill, sowing off a nice amount of technicality, whilst also being somewhat reserved.

There isn’t a whole lot to complain about when speaking of the separate components of The Current Will Carry Us, as Counterparts is a solid group of artists. Where the album fails is in its songwriting. To put it plainly, there’s nothing here to captivate or excite. It bowls along its linear path without taking risks, without embracing creativity, and certainly without ever offering up something refreshing. Without even finishing it, The Current Will Carry Us becomes stale; a forgettable and bland outing that tries to emulate Misery Signals and Defeater to the point of absurdity. The album is composed of eleven average length songs, each containing “furious bouts of passion and melody,” when they each have the intensity of a wet blanket. Even after repeated listens it becomes difficult to discern the difference between songs like “The Disconnect” and “The Constant.” The album runs its course, nary making a wave, until it just sort of ends- a fitting end to an album which lacks any sort of visceral ingenuity.

The Current Will Carry Us is in no way a bad album, it’s just mediocre. Little flourishes of greatness sprout out here and there, mainly in the form of “Thank God” and “Sinking,” but the rest sort of fades into irrelevance. Said songs see the band starting to step out of their comfort zone, experimenting just a tad to break up the monotony. It’s sad, really, considering that Counterparts have so much more to offer. Regardless, their sophomore effort is nothing more than a withered attempt at something profound.

Fell Voices Regnum SaturniHammock Oblivion Hymns

October 27th 2011

Because I fucking love hatin'

Wheelah
October 27th 2011

This is what I feared from this album. Haven't actually listened to it yet, but I was afraid Counterparts would do this. "Prophets" has a few songs I can't tell apart, figures they'd make a whole album like that.

Derkyle
October 27th 2011

meant bad instead of "band" in the first paragraph.

I know its a matter of opinion, but your statement about Misery Signals might be taken rather harshly
especially when you consider the contribution they've made to the genre, i.e. Of Malice and Magnum
Heart or Mirrors. This album really draws a lot of influence from Misery Signals first album in
tonality of the guitars to the up-beat tempos and even in the vocals too. Those are just my qualms but
it's really a good review.

NocteDominum
October 27th 2011

Is your rec'd by the reviewer missing "heard"?

October 27th 2011

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Yeah, I mean, Misery Signals was a pretty great band, but I'd hardly call them revolutionary.

Deviant.
October 27th 2011

Not a bad review, but it's littered with spelling errors like "road" in the summary and i think you meant bad instead of "band" in the first paragraph.

I know its a matter of opinion, but you're statement

Lol'd

Can someone write a review for this that I can agree with?

Digging: Marcel Dettmann - Fabric 77

October 27th 2011

Sorry Dev. Had this at a three at first but after a few listens I couldn't in all honesty keep it that way.

RosaParks
October 27th 2011

I don't think we listened to the same album.

silly me you're right

Deviant.
October 27th 2011

My only problem with this review is that I think it lacks detail. Those small flourishes of greatness you mention -- what are they exactly? What sets them apart from the rest?

Ignimbrite
October 27th 2011

I may check this out at some point, as I liked the debut but didn't adore it as much as many seemed to.

Ignimbrite
October 27th 2011

Also, have a pos. it's not your absolute strongest review ever, but it's still good and undeserving of ghost negs

October 27th 2011

Yeah I may have to go back and extrapilate. It's a tad vague.

cvlts
October 27th 2011

review's okay. i just disagree.

loveisamixtape

writing isn't bad, i just disagree with about 98% of it

Digging: Keep - Hypnosis for Sleep

pizzamachine
October 27th 2011

pos'd for using the word "exacerbating"

not a bad review

nice to see you again xeno

Digging: Trampled By Turtles - Wild Animals

MIXTAPE SMASH

Digging: Messiah - Choir of Horrors

loveisamixtape

TEAR DOWN THESE WALLS

October 27th 2011

Thanks Sowing, nice to see you around too : )