Giant Squid
Cenotes

by Alex Newton USER (46 Reviews)
October 26th, 2011 | 43 replies

Review Summary: Once again reinventing themselves, Giant Squid dive even deeper into their seemingly-bottomless musical vision.

Giant Squid are a slippery bunch. They began as an indie-rock outfit with Monster in the Creek, hit us with the contemplative, doomy Metridium Fields, and then threw the playbook out the window on their wonderfully bizarre follow-up, The Ichthyologist. Attempting to pin Giant Squid’s sound down is an exercise in futility, but much like their namesake, it’s generally dark, massive, and mysterious. In crafting The Ichthyologist, Giant Squid gallivanted about between genres that should never have worked together: swamp-rock tinged revenge tale “Dead Man Slough” led into the morbid, bluesy rocker “Throwing A Donner Party at Sea”, followed by the half-dirge, half-duet “Sevengill”, which in turn gave way to the heartbreaking and dissonant “Mormon Island”, composed entirely of banjo, strings, and Jackie Perez Gratz’s haunting voice. And you know what? The result was one of the most interesting and refreshing albums of the year. Sure, it was a lot to digest. Maybe “Sutterville”, with its stop-start rhythm and crazy jazz chords, took a while to warm up to. But what The Ichthyologist lacked in accessibility, it made up for with near-infinite replay value. So what does a band do for an encore after it’s already pulled out all the creative stops?

Cenotes sees Giant Squid returning somewhat to their circa-2006 sound – except his time, they’re armed with a whole new array of weapons. Opener “Tongue Stones” starts with a dissonant, churning riff courtesy of Jackie Perez-Gratz’ electric cello, before being joined by a ridiculously low jangling guitar line. While the sludgy melodies of Cenotes are more out of the Metridium Fields mold than their last album, there’s definitely a renewed overall focus. Where Metridium saw the band occasionally wander off course with unnecessarily long jam sessions, Cenotes trims the jetsam to a compact 35 minutes of impressively consistent songwriting. There’s a distinctly linear approach to the first half of the album, as the first two tracks run mostly through-composed for more than 17 minutes. It’s a pretty massive slab of benthic sludge to start the album, and definitely takes about half a dozen listens to, ahem, sink in. Fortunately, Giant Squid are able to keep things interesting by stringing together several massive headbanging-worthy riffs along the way, while strategically allowing you to surface for air with calmer interludes.

True to the band’s word, Cenotes often features a distinctly Middle-eastern sound. Eight-note scales and diminished chords run amok on “Figura Serpentinata,” which, at four minutes, is by far the album’s shortest track. The disparate vocal styles of Gratz and Aaron Gregory are better integrated here than on The Ichthyologist, and the songs benefit greatly from it. Indeed, Gregory actually sings most of his lines (often nearly intelligibly) and his improved performance helps make Cenotes a more seamless listen than its predecessor. “Snakehead” stands out as the best example of Giant Squid’s newfound coherence, as it builds from an urgent shuffle to a ramming-speed rocker, albeit one with deceptively graceful vocal interplay. The titular track wraps Cenotes up in style, combining the thunder of “Snakehead” in its first half with a more contemplative outro that ends the album on an ominous note.

Giant Squid have always been an enigmatic group, and with Cenotes, their reputation for crafting thoughtful and exciting music is secure. In what might be their finest moment yet, Cenotes sees the band enhancing their trademark sound with new influences and diverse instrumentation. If it wasn’t already clear that Giant Squid are due for bigger and better things, then Cenotes is another emphatic step in the right direction.

Anaal Nathrakh DesideratumRevocation Deathless
Rings of Saturn Lugal Ki EnEchoes of Eon Immensity
The Great Old Ones Tekeli-LiThou Heathen
Elijah Andrew STAFF (4)
Like its namesake, Cenotes is a deep, mysterious entity, displaying a band at the height of their cr...

Relinquished
October 26th 2011

couldn't get into the album at all

eternium
October 26th 2011

I need to check this out.

Rules.

Doesnt need to be said but whatever, Jackie Perez Gratz is the fucking shit.

Wizard

19650 Comments

For fans of:
Mastodon, Isis, Neurosis, The Ocean, Intronaut, marine biology, sea monsters

Don't ever breathe Neurosis in the same sentence as these guys, there is not an ounce of similarity whatsoever. Sounds like you read this off a sticker on the album cover.

Digging: Horseback and Locrian - New Dominions

October 26th 2011

Shitty comparisons aside this slays.

October 26th 2011

Alright so I got lazy and just listed other post/prog metal bands I like. Lesson learned.

edit: actually went and looked up bands they've toured with and like. but it should be noted that
Giant Squid has opened for Isis and their first album was produced by Billy Anderson of, ahem,
Neurosis.

Digging: Taravana - A Visible Chill

Duffluc
October 26th 2011

I love Isis, I love mastodon, I love Neurosis, and I love Giant Squid... So I guess I'd agree that they're for fans of those bands, despite not having that many similarities, hah.

October 26th 2011

this album's pretty great, but I don't like it as much as their last two

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

Hawks
October 26th 2011

For fans of Ludicra huh? I may need to check this band out.

listen to The Icthyologist first

Lucid
October 27th 2011

The Icthyologist is one of the most forgettable albums of all time. Not saying it's bad though.

October 27th 2011

I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the first paragraph then.

WatchItExplode
October 27th 2011

I like having albums from this band around...every so often one of their tracks pops up on random and hits the spot.

Auschwitz
October 27th 2011

this is good shit. unfortunately i dont like the preceding album.

Relinquished
October 27th 2011

They're sound nothing like Asunder, and they don't sound that close to La Fin du Monde

do your research

October 27th 2011

They're were supported by La Fin du Monde on their last tour. Aaron Gregory lists Asunder as one of
their favorite bands. Don't get your panties in a bunch over an opinion blurb at the end of the
review.

RK2THIS
October 28th 2011

I guess I'll chime in, since so many heated opinions are being given about what and who we sound like or don't. I think the point of our band is, with out trying, we really don't sound like anyone else. Yet, every band is influenced by someone. Considering our cellist, Jackie Perez Gratz, played all of the cello on Asunder's final album, played cello on a couple Neurosis albums, wrote and performed the entire first track of the last Agalloch record, as well as dozens of others, it's not a stretch to say at moments our band sounds similar to moments of those bands. It is a stretch to say we sound like Cattle Decapitation or Ludicra just because Jackie played on their record. But, slow, plodding, down-tuned stuff? C'mon.

Our current producer, Matt Bayles, also recorded the most iconic albums by both Mastodon and ISIS, so again, there is a similarity in sound and feel at times with them as well. Would ISIS or Neurosis ever want to sing like we do, or have songs like "Sutterville" and "Emerald Bay" on their albums? Hell no. Doesn't mean we all aren't kindred musical spirits. It's still apples and oranges at the end of the day though, not apples and pecans. Don't get so fucking worked up about shit. Wizard's comment - "Don't breath Neurosis' name in the same sentence" bullshit is hilarious. As Pedro pointed out, Billy Anderson recorded Enemy of the Sun and Through Silver (as well as Asunder, Ludicra, and Cattle Decapitation) and he also recorded both versions of Metridium Fields, our first record. And as mentioned before, Jackie played cello on Sovereign AND Times of Grace AND Steve Von Till's solo projects, as well as being the second most important member of Amber Asylum, Neurosis's sister band on Neurot and Relapse, for over ten years. So to Wizard and Relinquished, please... maybe some of YOU GUYS need to do your research before shouting off. If you don't like us, cool! Join the club that literally has millions of members. But don't get so damn worked up over petty details and comparisons that actually aren't so far of base if you take your blinders off.

Thank you Alex (or Pedro?) for the defense and support.

hey, cool.