Girls' Generation
The Boys

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
October 24th, 2011 | 55 replies

Review Summary: “Girls’ Generation” was great, but “The Boys” is fantastic.

Korea is centuries ahead of us in terms of pop music, and it’s no surprise. Like the arduous process of becoming a full-fledged Jedi, Koreans develop their skill sets at a very early age, and continue to work on them for the rest of their lives. Taken in by star making companies, the path to becoming a pop star is ridiculous. Their lyrics, their dance moves, their music, their clothing styles, even their very lives are controlled. You can never call in sick, quitting is not an option, even if your entire body is sore from 10 hours (or more) of dance practice every day, the show must go on. Now let’s stop for a second. The way I have described Korea’s pop industry makes it seem as if it is some kind of hell, but if you asked the pop artists what they thought about it, they’d probably defend their producers’ actions. It may seem crazy, but really, it’s just their culture, and they’re completely used to it. The basic point that you can take from all this information is that Koreans have pop down to a science, and therefore, they are very good at it.

Although The Boys often borrows from old styles of pop music, it still feels contemporary and relevant. They are making a name for themselves now, generally dumping their electronic side, allowing for musical growth. Unlike Girls’ Generation with its rude bass beats and forgettable synths, The Boys is surprisingly minimalistic. Pop is often at its best when simple, and this album proves it. What’s great about this direction is that the girls’ voices are highlighted, and they just happen to be giving their best vocal performances yet. As a result, the music is classier, catchier, and cuter. However, despite the group’s newfound minimalism, their edge is still intact, which is proven by sensual sensations like ‘The Boys’, ‘Trick’, ‘Oscar’, and ‘Top Secret’. A highlight, of course, being their single, ‘The Boys’, a foot-stomping tune which showcases the group’s intention, “b-bring the boys out!”

‘Say Yes’ begins with one of the girls exploding in happiness, “boy, I see you walking by every day *giggles*, so just stop in the name of love and just say yes”. As evident by only that line, Girls’ Generation is driven by the kind of innocence and cuteness that either makes you sick to the stomach, or leaves you craving for more. You’d expect to hear this music in kiddy shows, children’s musicals, and awful commercials, but never in a full album. However, let the naysayers whimper and vomit silently in the corner, because the music happens to be extremely fun. In fact, the album is so good that every song is worthy of becoming a single. Like their previous album, The Boys is completely stuffed with well-written and engaging material, which is what every movie sequel strives to be but often fails (ex. the Transformers film series). Unless this type of music just isn’t your thing, I see no reason to not enjoy this album.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
Pon Pon Way Way Way (5)
In short, Girls' Generation blew my mind. From a cutesy song like "My J" to a strong ballad like "Ho...

October 24th 2011

Further proof of my ridiculous musical taste.

iFghtffyrdmns

this must be ironic
tell me its ironic pizza
TELL ME

October 24th 2011

Sorry bro can't do that! ;)

iFghtffyrdmns

"06. My J"

wuts her J i wanna know now

Acanthus
October 24th 2011

You and your foreign pop :]

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

October 24th 2011

It's the only way to go!

Acanthus
October 24th 2011

Well pop music here sure isn't getting any more appeasing so you've got a point there.

Tyrael

20946 Comments

They're no Lights that's for sure

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

WashboardSuds
October 24th 2011

these girls are pretty good, never got into Korean stuff as much as Japanese, but this is still solid.

good review too, pizza, you're quite the productive writer. I wish I was as inspired as you

Digging: Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo... - Good Morning Good Night

Iluvatar

October 24th 2011

@ WashboardSuds: Thanks a lot man =], I just really like writing reviews.

@ Iluvatar:

And this is a problem.... why?

BerrySnaps

I love you.

WashboardSuds
October 24th 2011

"god why the fuck are people just starting to get into k pop and j pop and post it all over the site ugh"

I'm to blame for some of this

and no prob pizza, keep penning

=)

edit: oh I'll keep penning alright muahahaha..

MO

nice review pizza

weird they have no knees

Rev

yessssssssssssss

BoSoxorz
October 31st 2011

This is legitimately a very very very good pop album.

lobby
November 1st 2011

The Boys is really the best song here? ughhh tacky western pop-leaning drivel. Didn't think the song could get any worse until they pulled from out of their asses the awkward chant "Girls Generation make you feel the heat!" It's no surprise since the dude who produced the song was the same guy that did the oh-so-westernised k-pop track Dr Feel Good by Rania.

Don't see how this will be 4.9. They have been going downhill ever since they decided to put out "more mature" songs.

November 2nd 2011

Yeah man I just said it was a highlight.

lobby
November 3rd 2011

The highlight, of course, being their single, ‘The Boys’

Yeah man I just said it was a highlight.

No you didn't. You said it was 'the' highlight, meaning best track on the album.

So in your opinion, what was SNSD's best album. Just out of curiosity.

The mainstream k-pop groups have always maintained success on the back of power singles accompanied by music videos. Albums are never the main attraction here. Sure, there could be some decent tracks here and there, but these kind of groups have a handful of singles that they tour around the world performing on stages, and pump the rest of the album with filler tracks. Therefore, almost all the k-pop albums are usually of poor overall quality. As such, I enjoy my k-pop in a way that most of the world does: through mv's NOT albums.

To answer the question. My favourite snsd song is "Oh!". I believe it is somewhat catchy and enjoyable. Then again, it was never really the music that pulled me (and my friends) in, rather it was the choreography and aesthetic (read: perving) factors.

I've mentioned this somewhere before on this website, and i'll say it again: For good music in your k-pop, I think groups such as Secret (e.g. Madonna), 4minute (e.g. Hit ut heart), Brown Eyed Girls (e.g. Abracadabra), and Miss A (any of their stuff) are better bets.