Feist
Metals

by Dylan S. USER (68 Reviews)
October 20th, 2011 | 19 replies

Review Summary: Feist makes a warm and welcome return to the industry.

In a season of big releases such as M83’s grandiose double-album Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, Bjork’s ambitious Biophilia project, Zola Jesus’ acclaimed return with Conatus; the quieter, more subdued artists must not be forgotten. Skipping all the gimmicks and massive promotions of 2011 is Feist’s return to music with Metals. The album comes after Feist having taken a number of years off to recover from the rollercoaster induced by the breakout success of her previous album The Reminder, specifically its lead single “1234.” The song got most of its recognition from a popular Apple commercial, which would soon turn a very lovely indie-pop gem into the dreaded and overplayed “iPod Nano Song.”

With her audience expanded, Feist had a lot more to live up to with her new release. From it’s first single, “How Come You Never Go There,” it became clear that Feist was not changing her sound for this new pop oriented fan-base. The song is a very typical Feist affair with its subtle guitar melody and her lo-fi style vocals, it is exactly what one would expect from a Feist song, but that familiarity does not alter the fact that it is damn good.

The album's opening track, “The Bad In Each Other,” instantly brings the listener in with its gorgeous chorus incorporation gentle guitar strumming and light horn arrangement over Feist’s soft, yet howling, vocals. The entire first half of the album never loses its stride having the perfect placement of tracks with particular standouts, “Graveyard,” where she wails about bringing things back to life, giving the album a natural and organic feel, and “A Commotion,” where she picks up the pace creating, as the title suggests, a loud stomping melody backed by a symphony of quick strings and the shouts of the words, “a commotion, “ by her backing band.

It is following the very sweet acoustic ballad, “The Circle Married The Line,” that the album tends to lose itself though. Unlike the first half of the album where every track is a great stand alone body, the second half gets obscured in too many songs that sound very similar. Songs like “Anti-Pioneer,” and “Cicadas and Gulls,” basically go unnoticed in the flow of the album, which is a shame because they are very good songs, and far from filler, but simply not up to par with everything else.

In a tradition Feist manner though, she ends the album very eloquently with, “Get It Wrong, Get It Right,” a very personal number with slowly building background vocals and a lovely melody that tops most every other on the album. With that the album quietly drifts off into silence concluding a very satisfying listen. While Metals is not extraordinarily gripping, for Feist does not push any boundaries or try anything that she has not done before, it is a very emotionally appealing hour long body of work that can easily compete with the success of The Reminder and well deserving of any future successes she will undoubtedly get from it.

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings Dap Dippin'Blondie Panic of Girls
Bjork TelegramCher Closer To The Truth
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros HereChromatics Night Drive
Conrad Tao EMERITUS (3.5)
Wear walking shoes....

The Reminder

Let It Die

October 20th 2011

I was not going to let this album go unreviewed!

October 20th 2011

Listening to the The Reminder right now. Giving this a listen later.

Aids
October 20th 2011

good review, pos. can't wait to hear this.

1234 will always remind me of the one scene in the office where Andy is trying to hit on Stanley's client.

"Brought you guys some coffees. Stanley, I know you have adult on-set diabetes so, I put Splenda in yours. Let's see, how many did I put in there? 1-2-3-4 Splendas in your coffee Stanley, none in yours Julia, because I don't know how you take it. But if you'd rather--"

"Four Splenda? Are you crazy?"

"Well no I actually only put in two but, that's not how the song goes."

Digging: Marketa Irglova - Muna

klap
October 20th 2011

fantastic album, glad someone got around to it

Digging: Jessie Ware - Tough Love

PurpleDino

saw this on Later Live With Jools Holland

Digging: Backtrack - Darker Half

Good stuff, Dylan.

October 20th 2011

Just a handful of things:

The Reminder, specifically it’s lead single “1234.”

*its

very lovely indie-pop gem into the dreaded and overplayed, “iPod Nano Song.”

Second comma is unnecessary.

From it’s first single,

*its

with its subtle guitar melody and her lofi style

*lo-fi

The albums opening track, “The Bad In Each Other,” instantly brings the listener in with its
yet howling, vocals.

*The album's opening track... Also, I think you're missing a comma after 'chorus
incorporation'. And to make it a little less awkward, I might suggest ending the sentence with
something like: "...and light horn arrangement over Feist's softly howled vocals."

There are a few more instances where you confuse "its" with "it's", but a scan through the rest will
easily reveal those to you. Anyways, make these corrections and you'll be good.

October 20th 2011

Thanks for the tips Gyro, I wrote this pretty fast in between classes

Douglas

gots to get this asap

October 20th 2011

oh wow this is amazing. very different than what i expected. love the mood throughout this album.

October 21st 2011

was going to review this but just kinda figured a staffer would get to it, guess not

i enjoyed this but its still not up to her capabilities

nice review

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

AliW1993
October 21st 2011

Surprised you're the first to review this.

Album is pretty good, need to listen more, though.

jefflebowski
October 21st 2011

this album needed a review, nice work.

How Come You Never Go There is a beautifully understated song

October 22nd 2011

I'm enjoying this more than i ever could've imagined.

Waior
October 23rd 2011

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW OF THIS

October 24th 2011

Definitely a must listen for the year

November 3rd 2011

I am so in love with this record right now.

Itwasthatwas
November 22nd 2011

This is such a great album

natey