Green Day
American Idiot

by lz41 USER (33 Reviews)
October 19th, 2011 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is the dawning of the rest of our lives.

In my opinion, American Idiot is the best album of its decade. Although competition for this title dropped off as iTunes became so accessible that singles were the safest bet for artists, this is still an effort that holds resonance and furthermore, few people would question it. It went to #1 on ten country’s charts, and has sold 14 million copies.
First of all, the anti-U.S theme of the album was a very risky move, considering their reputation as trailer trash, American, snot nosed brats who could deliver strong punk music. But the album was a massive hit in their home country as the U.S Government was becoming increasingly unpopular for their unsuccessful, lie filled invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. Green Day’s sudden maturity and deep lyric writing would make American Idiot a true monster.

The opening, anthemic title track is one of the greatest political protest songs of all time. Its most remarkable trait is to so concisely capture the mood of America at a very uncertain time, when people wanted to believe that the war on terror was a success yet, deep down, were beginning to suspect that they were being fed lies by the media (Now everybody “Do the propaganda!”) and that the public’s dependence on the power of the U.S was all that was holding belief in the war (Welcome to a new kind of tension/All across the alienation, everything isn’t meant to be OK).

The second track introduces us to the suburbs of America: "A land of make believe/That don’t believe in me." The five part, nine minute "Jesus of Suburbia/City of the Damned/I Don’t Care/Dearly Beloved/Tales From Another Broken Home" is about a teenager becoming disillusioned with the fabricated, contained and empty suburban life and runs away. The poetry of City and the slam of I Don’t Care ("We are the kids of war and peace/From Anaheim to the Middle East") illustrate the crumbling of security in a once ‘perfect’-that is, perfectly manufactured-suburban town.

"Holiday" is my favourite song from American Idiot and one of my all time favourite tracks. About the U.S invasion of Iraq, and their ignoring of the UN order to not invade, this has some truly great lines:
The company lost the war today
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
Pulverise the Eiffel Tower, who criticised your Government!
An absolute classic protest song, followed by another broken hearted, anti-suburbia rage: "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", which became the biggest radio staple off the album. Its theme of loneliness and disconnection with the rest of the world, along with its powerful, stuttering riff, would become instantly recognisable all over airplay.
The fifth track, Are We The Waiting, finishes the political side of the album. Are We The Waiting is a chorus for the masses, with emotive music and a massive anthem of a chorus. Not long either, so its very easy to listen to. Finishes as a plead, yet a hopeful beg, for the future of America.

Between St Jimmy and Letterbomb, the inspiration is thinner, particularly in She's A Rebel/Extraordinary Girl. The bratty punk rocket St Jimmy and Give Me Novocaine still deliver musically.
"Wake Me Up When September Ends", the fourth radio hit off the album, is often mistaken for simply a song about the death of Billy Joe’s father. It is a touching, important tribute to the victims of 9/11, that preserves a love of America for the album.

The second rhapsody on the album is the six part Homecoming/The Death of St Jimmy/East 12th St/Nobody Likes You/Rock n Roll Girlfriend/We’re Coming Home Again. This song is made up of many ideals and tones that are not linked, suggesting a hurricane of emotions blurring and whirring as ‘St Jimmy’ casts off his alter ego, maybe returns home, maybe makes his life whole again. The final part suggests a reunification of everyone involved, and maybe a call for the end of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The final song, Whatsername, is dedicated to the girl that was seen and never seen again. Actually a really good finisher, not a cliché or a soppy emotional song.

Overall, I am prepared to call American Idiot an excellent, brave album.

AC/DC Rock or BustTelevision Marquee Moon
The Clash Live at Shea StadiumLed Zeppelin Presence
The Rolling Stones Sticky FingersBlack Sabbath Black Sabbath

Tyrael

20977 Comments

Paragraphs are your friend

Satellite

20826 Comments

definitely add some line breaks and indents so people will consider reading this.

also you really shouldn't start a review with "in my opinion."

October 19th 2011

The only other people brave enough to give this a 4.5 or a 5 mysteriously vanished
You're next

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

iFghtffyrdmns
October 19th 2011

"In my opinion, American Idiot is the best album of its decade."
Album Rating: 4.5/5

I guess the 2000's have really blown huh

HE JUST HASN'T HEARD JANE DOE YET

vmcoia91
October 19th 2011

Man, I used to love this album. Still got it at a 4.5 though, this is the album that got me listening to music seriously. I imagine it would be kind of grating now.

Electric City
October 19th 2011

fucking yes more american idiot reviews

Axel
October 19th 2011

Forgetting you but not the time.

Auschwitz
October 19th 2011

lol whats with all the high ratings? band sucks.

dammets

2035 Comments

Meh album, but Holiday and the title track are pretty nostalgic for me.

Crymsonblaze
October 19th 2011

Only good green day album

AngelofDeath
October 19th 2011

One of the worst albums ever made.

FromDaHood

This is unnecessarily mammoth

Asiatic667
October 19th 2011

This album would be perfect if it weren't for the stupid title track

Drsmith4
October 19th 2011

"Da! Da! Da! I’m the son of rage and love! Da! Da! Da! The Jesus of Suburbia!"

Power chords and onomatopoeia, I see whatcha did thar

xfearbefore
October 19th 2011

Terribly formatted review man, do a spellcheck too before posting.

I've loved this band since I was about five years old and Dookie came out and my dad bought it for me on cassette tape. I've grown up with them, defended them, but this right here was the point where they lost me as a current fan of theirs. This album is so utterly mediocre and generic, and worst of all it's a complete caricature of what Billy Joe seems to think "punk" is, only he clearly fell out of touch with that culture about 15-20 years ago. It's as if somewhere along the way in the late 90s and early 2000s Billy Joe completely forgot what "punk" actually was and what the subculture was like and so he popped into a sixth grade classroom to see what the Hot-Topic wearing "punk kids" were into these days, and then tried to mimic that. It also tries so hard to be political, but they never actually say anything remotely intelligent, insightful, or interesting. The music is boring, the lyrics are trite, and the entire affair turned me off this band completely, and they were once my favorite band in the world during the 90s.

I suppose it's better than 21st Century Breakdown though. Barely.

Digging: The Smoking Popes - Get Fired

TheSpirit

Love this album

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

Acanthus
October 19th 2011

Beware of making a lot of claims in a review this long, as the few people who read it will automatically regard you as an imbecile for stating ridiculous things even with the #imo thrown in.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

WashboardSuds
October 19th 2011

"Da! Da! Da! I’m the son of rage and love! Da! Da! Da! The Jesus of Suburbia!"

^ I laughed out loud when I read this

review is so sloppily formatted I can't even bring myself to walk away without neg-ing

Digging: Zodiac (VASE) - Zodiac