U2
Achtung Baby

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
October 18th, 2011 | 14 replies | 2,686 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the most heart warming and yet brilliantly dark crafted albums ever created.

The amount of vibe and praise U2 has accomplished over the years has been practically unfathomable. One could not almost comprehend the amount of sales and publicity the group has achieved in the course of 2 whole decades. It's been a rather powerful and rich journey U2 has seen climbing over them. With the emotional side of "The Joshua Tree", to the more inconsistent and misplaced "Pop." However, "Achtung Baby" slides into being more than just a classic, but a practical odyssey all in one.

U2's overall idea of lyrics and themes includes the following: Anger, Betrayal, Faith, Spirituality and Lust. There are far more accounted for, but these are the main ones encountered on AB. The themes and placements of the lyrics on the songs are brilliantly arranged. They bounce back from being down to earth, to absolute hatred built within. I always find it somewhat amusing how Bono can manage to maintain the gut reaction without having an awkward moment. Let me tell you something, It NEVER happens. The pure emotion the man can round up is almost a fantasy for every song. More than likely, the listener may feel a bit anxious throughout, or solely pleased with the tales Bono explains in the songs. The thing I've noticed is how the sequence of the songs actually runs through. One song may be the most upbeat tune you've ever heard, and the next will be the darkest. Despite some of them being out of place, they are all adjusted into an outstanding story.

That's why they all set a specific mood for themselves. The opener "Zoo Station" starts off with a low heavily distorted guitar, almost Industrial sounding, with it gradually building up to Bono's voice taking over. "One" is probably the most well know U2 song. It's carried away with a quiet bass, and powerful lyrics explaining struggling relationships. "So Cruel" is one of my favorites, and the most darkest. The very shadowed piano which carries out the song through the entire thing is superbly crafted. The themes about being betrayed, lust, and overall gut wrenching disgust give this song its name. Bono's yodeling specialty played in this song is amazingly done. It really adds to the atmosphere and each time Bono stages it throughout, it anticipates more of a strong emotion to come within the next time he delivers it. "Ultraviolet" and "Acrobat" both explain choked relationships that are trying to stand back on foot, but with uneasy progress. Both of them also revolve towards overall desperately needing help towards something specific, and weakness. "Until the End of the World" is about Bono having a conversation with Jesus Christ. The Guitar's sound in the Chorus of the song is literally wicked. The brightly filled whiny strings are a huge highlight.

The legacy of this album is basically not compatible with a lot of records to date in the Rock world. U2 has shaped America emotionally and made some aspects of the country stronger and tougher. It would be a shock to see a person not feel somehow motivated by the songs put out on Achtung Baby. All of them are displayed in a very positive way, despite some being extremely dark. While this album is nearly 25 years old, it still remains as a legend. A legend in the Music field.