Earl Sweatshirt
EARL

by Chriss Varvis USER (2 Reviews)
October 17th, 2011 | 8 replies | 2,848 views

Review Summary: Not something your grandmother would appreciate.

For a 15 year old, I really shouldn't even be listening to Earl Sweatshirt -- or any of Odd Future for that matter. I'd be willing to wager that there aren't two songs that aren't about sex, drugs, skateboarding, rape or murder, and Earl is definitely not an exception to that.

First hearing of Odd Future from a classmate who was a big hypebeast regular back around early 2010, I wasn't sure of what to make of it. Especially when hearing the obscenely named 'Assmilk'. But that very foul titled track is what got me hooked on OFWGKTA, and more importantly, Earl Sweatshirt.

EARL is not something you'd want to play when your parents are vising. With rude lyrics, dark beats and don'tgivea*** attitude, it's definitely not the kind of music that'd be ideal to listen to, but I believe that's what gives the whole album it's charm.

While lyrically it's disturbing upon first listening to it, after listening to the album a few times over, what Earl and company rap about almost begin to seem normal. Almost. Like previously mentioned, talk about sex, drugs, skateboarding, rape and murder are all present and accounted for. On top of that, there are lyrics about mixing decomposed bodies and scat in a pan and then eating it followed by something about black chicks and cat fish. Despite how strange and obscene the lyrics are, he's far from being on the levels of Nas, or Rakim (though it's a real unfair comparison considering how young Earl is), some fantastic wordplay is present.

Accompanying his rapping are dark beats containing almost dusty sounding piano licks rolling drums beats and the ever occasional synth. All perfectly fitting with Earl's smooth yet rough at times flow, the basic reason why he's able to rap about such weird ***, while still making it entertaining. That, and actual catchy beats found on Moonlight and Pigions. Altogether, creating the delicious cocktail that is EARL that I can't get enough of.

(Please note, this is my first review of any sort of music, and I'm actually using my brothers Sputnik Music account)

snoopdogg6969 (2)
Earl: The black Aaron Carter...

Marzuki (3.5)
So what you're telling me is, Odd Future ISN'T a vintage science fiction magazine?...

random (4)
Unlike Asher Roth, Earl Sweatshirt definitely isn't asleep in the bread aisle....

Big Baby Jesus (3.5)
Don't let your children listen to this when they're sober....

Doris

VARGHULF
October 17th 2011

Sorry, few minor grammatical errors, wrote this is a bit of a hurry.

Zorak
October 17th 2011

not too bad. try to be a little less personal, and more factual next time though.

iFghtffyrdmns
October 17th 2011

decent sentence structure and flow, just try in the future to actually go more into the music as opposed to just what it means/feels like to you. And that first sentence is kinda lame but whatever.

golf wang

Blackbelt54

my favorite OF release

FromDaHood
October 17th 2011

Considering Earl was 15 when he wrote this, I don't think listening to it is a big issue

Ire