Primordial
The Burning Season

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (198 Reviews)
October 9th, 2011 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “Claim what is rightfully yours”

The above is a vocal excerpt from the first track of the EP, entitled ‘The Calling’. It makes true of Primordial’s work ethic not only on The Burning Season EP, but also their career. Those who have followed the band have seen them grow into a force and the success that follows is only sure to grow. The Burning Season EP is a strong albeit short release making for an enjoyable listen while it lasts.

The Burning Season EP combines similar elements to create an interestingly diverse listen with a highly progressive sound. Needless to say, while this has all been done before, Primordial has managed to combine these styles to make a fairly unique sound. Mixing elements of pagan, Celtic, progressive and even some atmospheric aspects of doom this EP is a display of how Primordial has had the success that they have for so long worked for. Features that this EP shows include a subconscious mind trick that comes from the length of its tracks. Listeners will notice that each track is longer than the last, which not only adds to the progressive feel of the EP but also makes the entire of the record feel longer. As for the overall sound, the production gives it a little raw edge that adds to the slightly doom inspired atmosphere, and adds to the ever present pagan/folk themes. Each track builds on the last creating a length for the EP that is not actually there.

The EP kicks off with ‘The Calling’, already the band has that practiced and experienced sound, layers are craftily added over the top of the next and while this may seem overly predictable it’s far from uninteresting. A strong show of restraint and talent from O’Laoghaire from behind the drum kit holds this band together and this first track is but a show of what is to come. In many ways The Burning Season EP could be seen as a lead up into their next full length release (and better received) Spirit The Earth Aflame. The EP’s title track even features there and is a highlight of this record. The title track is example of the overall feel of the EP. Incorporating their signature mix of elements all in one track, Primordial have built a staple sound with blast beats, progressive riffing, Nemtheanga’s spoken, screeched and medium high pitched clean vocals, not to mention the obvious lyrical content littered throughout the record (temples, skulls, fore-wind, other medieval features etc.) that not only complement each other but have their own diverse features that maintain the interest of the listener.

While The Burning Season EP is a force in its own right, it fails to reach the success of the full length releases both before and after. It makes less of an impression on the listener due to its overall brevity and does not have that overly polished sound that comes with Primordial’s full length releases. What listeners do get out of this release is a solid show of workmanship, both instrumentally and in creative structuring. The album has a consistent yet diverse sound that relies heavily on its progressive black metal style. A worthy album for anyone interested in the above mentioned styles.

Eden Circus MarulaIn Flames Siren Charms
Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
3.1
good

October 9th 2011

Working 60+ hours on my latest roster, celebrating my only day off with a Primordial review. Thoughts welcome.

October 9th 2011

Boo, slow thread : {

Muse1748
October 10th 2011

I'll be honest, I've never listened to the folksy doom metal type of music, but after reading this, I might as well give them a listen, as I'm always looking for something new and exciting to listen. Very well written, as usual. Pos

By the way, I've been meaning to ask; I'm looking to write a couple reviews soon, would you be willing to look them over when I get the drafts completed?

October 10th 2011

Solid review Ipod - definitely worthy of a pos (which I gave). The only complaint I have is that the
band roster and pros and cons nonsense need to be removed - both are things that are a.) unnecessary
and b.) stuff that folks should be able to automatically glean from your review.

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

taylormemer
October 10th 2011

"insulting of a reader's ability to read" lol that's a bit extreme but ok
I agree though, get rid of the band members and other crap.

Anyway, your reviews tend to read like a more sophisticated Hawks review, which is a good thing trust me, but you still need to veer away from that kind of writing in general.

There are a lot of weird things though which I think are too numerous to cover here; it would be unrewarding to edit them all now. Instead just read more and try to concentrate your flow for a better next review, like always.

peace

Tyrael

20945 Comments

unnecessary and generally insulting of a reader's ability to read

Irving strikes again!

I expect a 5/5 To The Nameless Dead review in a week, Ipod! :]

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

October 10th 2011

I didn't mean for it to come off so harshly but it did =/ Damn. Sorry Ipod.

Editing my previous comment now.

October 11th 2011

Sure man, you know where to find me.

but you still need to veer away from that kind of writing in general.

Um, i like writing with a sense of free thought. But i do understand completely what you mean.

I expect a 5/5 To The Nameless Dead review in a week, Ipod! :]

I have a whole list of albums i want to work through, including Imrama but i can add that if you like lol.

Editing my previous comment now.

You don't really have to Irv's, you have been looking at my reviews for so long now I'm used to it : ]

October 13th 2011

So basically I've been a dick for quite a while now =( Sorry Ipod =(

October 13th 2011

Lol. Vingness, you don't have to worry about it. And, didn't you always say you wanted to be a bit more of a dick anyways. I will admit though that honesty is a quality trait Irving and I appreciate that, if nothing else : ]

Back to topic though, day off coming up tomorrow, so i'll edit then.

October 23rd 2011