Sepsism
Distorting the Mortal Visage

by B R A N D O N S C O T T USER (102 Reviews)
October 9th, 2011 | 13 replies | 3,029 views

Review Summary: 2 brootal 4 u bro

Aside from Beheaded, Defaced Creation, and Demonic Sacrifice, I generally really wouldn't consider myself a brutal death metal fan; not to say that it isn't a wonderful death metal sub-genre, with a wealth of great and excellent bands, it's just that it never really clicked with me. Sepsism may be the band that changes this. Formed in 1990 the Californian based band have been going at it for twenty-one fucking years, a true feat for any musical act. What's more impressive that it was only as recently as 2009 that Sepsism put out an album that still rested on the bands old-time laurels of delivering an unparalleled brutality and technicality, while exuding an air of relevance that has always kept the band in the eye of the underground.

What has always been most impressive to me about this album was honestly the fucking RIFFS! While undeniably heavy and almost redundantly "brutal", Sepsism's guitarist Leon Morrision has a certain way of really driving home those slam riffs, making them almost impossibly catchy within their utterly devastating outpouring. Fernando Avila's bellow is so fucking deep it causes the very Earth to tremor. These are the strong gutturals that kinda make you want shit your pants they're so fuckking low. He also has some more mid-ranged vocals which are pretty tight but definitely overshadowed by his more powerful shit-inducing lower range.

Honestly the drums are pretty standard here, a fair combination of blast-beats and slower "slam" based beats that are hardly groundbreaking but a certainly sufficient enough as to not bog down the quality of the album. The bass has few moments to shine but honestly who gives a flying fuck motherfucker, seriously guys, this has the FUCKING RIFFS.

Carved Cross Demo IIIBlack Beasts II
Azarath Blasphemers' MaledictionsDoth Datura Wrightii
Cara Neir Sublimation TherapyAsphyx The Rack

October 9th 2011

basically all you need to know is that this has riffs and everything else is adequate enough to make this a somewhat standard but great record nonetheless -- alternate review

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

scissorlocked

needs moar riffs

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

ShadowRemains

20440 Comments

hmmm might pass on this one

October 9th 2011

there's really no excuse to pass on this, it's really solid.

Hyperion1001
October 9th 2011

Inveracity is another brutal death band that's pretty good.

Generally i don't like the genre, bands like Aborted and shit suck. Might give this a whirl though.

Digging: Syndrone - Salmataxia

NocteDominum
October 9th 2011

I thought words like "fuck" got cencored in reviews..... anywho, have a pos sounds like something i should spin once (even just to know what you're talking about).

Crysis
October 9th 2011

Not too into brutal death

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Zyhaal
October 10th 2011

Brutal Death metal is something I really struggle with, except Aborted and Dying Fetus.

December 22nd 2011

Like I said in the review this is pretty hard not to like. There is a decent amount of old school riffage to keep the average death metaller happy

October 18th 2012

God this riffs so good m/

Zyhaal
March 20th 2013

I've taken a real liking to Pathology and Abominable Putridity, does this sound similar?

March 22nd 2013