For Want Of
For Want Of

by matthew turok USER (29 Reviews)
October 9th, 2011 | 20 replies | 2,687 views

Review Summary: For Want Of is an up and coming screamo band from Austin, Texas with those noodly guitar parts that made bands like Hot Cross and The Fall Of Troy before them so well known.

The summary might lead the reader to believe that this band is just a lot of math rock twiddling about, with tons of hammery riffs everywhere, and that's partly true. However, For Want Of is a band very capable of pushing their songwriting beyond flashy guitar parts. There is a great bit of emo-violent intensity throughout the EP, down picked chord progressions that make you want to gyrate your body somewhat like the inflatable tube guys outside of car dealerships and the ilk - this is math-rock-skram-life at it's finest.

My major qualm with the EP is that the band needs to slow down. They're very capable musicians, as they let the listener know frequently. Unfortunately, the tempo is only fast and faster. The EP would only benefit from the implementation of slower, more atmospheric segments - this is especially exemplified in how welcome, and down right beautiful the Envy-esque down picked chord segments throughout each song tend to be, especially in track one The Orchestrated Decay Of Self-Sufficiency.

If you're one inclined to move your body haphazardly along with beyond-scronky post hardcore, For Want Of is definitely for you. Most emo fans, keep this band on your radar, because if they stay together, they're destined for greatness.

Stray From the Path Our OceaniaCodex (USA) Delusions
Manners Pale Blue LightCavities Within The Wings
Smile To The Wind MomentsIron Lung White Glove Test

Skram life, CMHWAK baby.

Digging: Stray From the Path - Our Oceania

October 9th 2011

P.S. if you wanna hear this, it's up for free on their bandcamp:

Adabelle
October 9th 2011

Fair enough, this is pretty good, enjoyed the second track the most.

October 9th 2011

The first track is my favorite, really tasty noodles.

iFghtffyrdmns

oooodly noodly

October 10th 2011

Those noodlies be tofoodlies, yum yum! also, weird, yet another review of mine negged without a single
word of criticism, hooray sputnik maturity!

October 15th 2011

Bump because this band is so promising.

ratbastard
January 7th 2012

Perfect. There needs to be less bands aping on Envy, so glad this is one of them. Bring back the chaos! Play faster!

sixthgoldenticket
January 11th 2012

their new record rules

BUT WHAT IF WE WAKE UP?
WHAT WILL WE FIND?

April 26th 2013

Why is it that it's as if their album Smoke never existed? It's not uploaded anywhere, googling it pretty much brings up nothing and I can't even find any album artwork. Surprisingly, I have it but I have no artwork for it. Sigh

I have 100% artwork in my library no lie

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

April 26th 2013

Wanna be a doll and upload the cover for me?

April 26th 2013

oh lol no i just meant that i assigned an album cover to every album in my library so it looks fuckin' nice now, good luck finding it tho

this band looks legit btw

April 26th 2013

God damn you, you got my hopes up. I have artwork for every album I have as well and then I have Smoke, with no artwork. Pisssiiinnn meeee offffff

Band is indeed awesome

April 26th 2013

yeah i'm a sucker for this style of mathy melodic skramz so this looks like it'd be right up my alley

April 26th 2013

Yeah why did they never release Smoke? It's so good.

April 26th 2013

According to their Facebook, they will finally be releasing Smoke sometime later this year. Not sure why they released it for ten seconds and then removed it off the face of the earth for two years but better late than never, I guess.

Agreed.

There's this dude in my area that usually sets up shop at shows and he has a cassette of this that I've been eying up way too long. Gotta get me dat hard copy.

July 7th 2013