Coroner
Punishment for Decadence

by TheNotrap USER (10 Reviews)
October 5th, 2011 | 138 replies | 11,627 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A band start climbing their way into ambitious territories.

The mid-eighties was the most flourishing time for thrash metal, the increasing popularity on both sides of the Atlantic of young acts such as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer or Kreator inspired a brand new generation of bands hungry to explore some yet uncharted territories. If Testament, Forbidden or Xentrix were more...let's say...Metallica oriented, following a more traditional path influenced by the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, bands like Watchtower, Voivod or Coroner incorporated progressive and innovative elements into their aggressive sound, helping to create a more diverse genre catalogue.

Formed by the Celtic Frost roadies Ron Royce, Tommy T. Baron and Marquis Marky, Coroner soon shown a particular taste for avant-garde and experimental musical concepts, however their debut R.I.P was still mainly based on traditional speed-metal neo-classical structures subtle layered with gothic ambiences influenced by their country mates Celtic Frost. Released only one year later, Punishment for Decadence evolved naturally into a more complex sound structure mainly due to the remarkable technical skills of all band members and the creative will to break the established heavy metal boundaries.

Musically, Punishment for Decadence swing between mid-tempo structures and faster sections properly linked with intelligent musical arrangements that keep a sense of direction throughout the album. If somehow the neo-classic instrumental Arc-Lite built a bridge with the previous effort, songs like Absorbed, Skeleton on Your Shoulder or Sudden Fall are definitely a step forward into more sophisticated grounds based on a dynamic rhythm section conducted by Ron Royce and Marquis Marky, a top level performance from the guitar wizard Tommy T. Baron, that instantly become one of the most respected guitar players of the late 80's and also Ron's unique bizarre vocals that gives an unusual mood to the more political and introspective lyrics.
Even if the unexpected Purple Haze cover deserves an honourable mention, the Punishment for Decadence brightest jewel is definitely the amazing Masked Jackal. This song alone perfectly synthesises Coroner's look and feel at this stage of their career and it's almost a show case about how to make an intelligent and powerful thrash metal song, combining high technical arrangements, diverse tempos and multiple melodic ambiences, without losing itself inside overacting musical performances so usually seen on more technical bands.

Overall Punishment for Decadence is a very solid piece of work and fine example of a band start climbing their way into ambitious territories. Even if the sound engineering sometimes sound dated, as expected in a relatively low budget production, Punishment for Decadence helped Coroner to built a solid reputation among the European demanding audiences and still remains one of the most respectable thrash metal albums of the last century.

Pros:
Masked Jackal
Musical performances

Cons:
Sound engineering

Marillion FugaziBolt Thrower War Master
Metal Church Blessing in DisguiseDio Sacred Heart
Scorpions World Wide LiveSavatage Edge Of Thorns
4.2
facupm (4.5)
Coroner's (amazing) transition album...

October 5th 2011

Guys I hope you like this Coroner review.

If you don't know this band or this particular album, if you wish check this out:

Masked Jackal is an absolute TM masterpice.

Digging: Accept - Blind Rage

JamieTwort

20464 Comments

Great review dude. Coroner rules.

Thanks a lot JT.
Yeah Coroner was an unique/original TM band in the late 80's.
Masked Jackal is MIND BLOWING
m/

@Riff
R.I.P is more classic TM stuff. More neo-classic speed metal oriented. Has some cool moments...don't miss it.

This is probably my fav Coroner. No More Color, Mental Vortex and Grin are more experimental sure but I bought this vinyl back in 88, so it has a deep emotional value

October 5th 2011

Grin as also good moments, but in my humble opinion Punishment for Decadence remains their best

MO
October 5th 2011

skeleton on your shoulder is such a good song

Hyperbore
October 5th 2011

No, 'Grin' is indeed awful. But this one's pretty good.

SKELETON ON YOUR SHOULDER

WITH CONNECTIONS
m/m/m/m/m/m/m/

Voivod
October 5th 2011

This didn't have a review??? Good review TheNotrap!!

There's too much guitar wankery in this one, imho, and while it is enjoyable in general, it can become tiring at times.

No More Color, which succeeded this, was superb just because the tension was present as well, minus the guitar wankery.

In the albums that followed, Coroner focused on playing less notes on the guitar, while becoming quirkier and quirkier.

The above is just my personal opinion.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

Thanks Voivod!
I'm trying to review some classic stuff unreviewed yet.

And your opinion is always welcome.

I understand your point. No More Color has a better production and the songs are more progressive and experimental.
At that point Coroner already established their own style, while Punishment for Decadence is somehow still a bridge between their classic speed metal roots and a more sophisticated sound.

But I really like the "fresh and pure" sound of Punishment for Decadence and, in my humble opinion, No More Color don't have a high top level song as Masked Jackal.

Masked Jackal is among the best metal songs ever made IMO

Voivod

No More Color don't have a high top level song as Masked Jackal

"Mistress Of Deception" and "No Need To Be Human" (from No More Color) are way better than Masked Jackal for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

October 5th 2011

Sorry Voivod I don't agree with you.

Masked Jackal is their magnum opus. Back in 88 this song was a complete breakthrough and still remains their best and most known song.

But everything is subjective...

October 5th 2011

grin fuckin rules fade is gay as usual

but yea this, mental vortex and no more colour are the best

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

October 5th 2011

Listening to Masked Jackal atm, my son would dig it no doubt. Good review Notrap.

@Kill
I rechecked R.I.P to make the review and it's also a nice piece of TM. If you don't know it, give it also a listen.

@Jethro
Thanks bro.
By the way, back in the 80's and mid-90's Coroner was called the Rush of thrash metal. This analogy is of course completely meaningless...just a curiosity...

October 5th 2011

If I present him the band as the Rush of Trash Metal, he's gonna ask for their whole discog very quickly.
=]

October 5th 2011

Haha Like father like son.

Coroner was one of the first thrash metal bands to incorporate prog and more experimental elements into thrash. If you wish tell your son to hear Punishment for Decadence first and then No More Color. If the sound grows on him...then start digging the whole discog. ;-)

October 5th 2011

Sounds like a deal, thanks, I will do!

uninvited