Lights
Siberia

by Nick Habisch USER (53 Reviews)
October 4th, 2011 | 473 replies

Review Summary: Lights progresses nicely.

Lights’ first full album, 2009’s The Listening saw her being compared to Owl City and other solo electronic acts. While that album was generally well received, there were still questions of whether she would evolve from the cotton candy electro-pop present on her debut album. With her 2011 release, entitled Siberia, Lights throws some grit and muscle into her electronic sounds, and manages to retain the elements that made The Listening a tasteful record.

Lead single “Toes” starts off with a bubbly synth reminiscent of “Savior”, but further along there is just enough of a gritty underbelly of tones in order to nicely show the new direction Lights has taken. Her vocals still hold all the air and melody that were present on The Listening, and the bouncy pop sounds are still present, but each song sees a layer of dirt being poured on. Whether it’s the distorted bass line of “Siberia”, the bass wobble of “Fourth Dimension”, or the noise of nine-minute album closer “Day One”.

Siberia shows a new side of Lights’ musical journey. There’s still the child-like melodies and innocence, but there’s growth there. It’s less “Pretend” and more real. Whether this is good or bad is up to each listener’s preference, but for Lights’ musical career this is a step in the right direction. Although Siberia is a nice move forward, there are still flaws that hurt the album. Some of her electronic work can be annoying, particularly the glitchy synth line in “Banner” which feels off-time; the guest vocals also tend to degrade the songs they are present in, instead of adding another dimension to the music. Siberia also suffers from relative repetition, as songs tend to feel similar in their structure and tone, but this is to be expected from a growing artist.

Lights is as popular as ever, and Siberia will likely increase her renown, as the production is bigger, and the music catchier. Although it suffers from a few setbacks, Siberia shows Lights progressing from what she showed on The Listening, and is in itself a very solid album worth picking up.

Animal Collective Merriweather Post PavilionBreathe Carolina Hell Is What You Make It
Animal Collective Water CursesAnimal Collective ODDSAC
Michael Andrews Donnie DarkoThe Famine The Architects of Guilt

WhiteWallStargazers
October 4th 2011

It's a nice step from her first (real) album.

October 4th 2011

So excited to hear this :D

October 4th 2011

"..nice move forward, there is still flaws that.."
should be are

also imo "plague" is thrown around too casually; everyone and their mother uses it and i don't think any album being given an excellent rating should be described as "plagued" by anything. i'd use a much less harsh synonym

pizzamachine

I'm so on this.

October 4th 2011

oh and yeah this is def better than the listening. cactus in the valley and flux and flow are sweet

MrGlass
October 4th 2011

Flux and Flow is the best song she's ever recorded.

cvlts

nice album cover.

gonna go fap.

she needs to do more flux and actually SING more GIT LOUD GIRL YEAH

acad
October 4th 2011

album is DEFINITELY not as good as the listening but has a few winners

BassDemon333
October 4th 2011

This album is so great. I love Where the Fence Is Low.

Digging: Mudvayne - L.D. 50

October 4th 2011

Pretty good stuff. Her previous album was terrible.

Toes all the way for me.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

20700 Comments

still tap

Digging: Banks - Goddess

October 4th 2011

Ice is still her best song

DinoX
October 4th 2011

I like the listening a lot more but maybe this needs time to grow

someguest

20527 Comments

too bad she's flat

fish.

21932 Comments

Is it just me or does she look slightly like balcaen.
and they're both canadian.
I think I'm onto something here

Tyrael

20876 Comments

Is it just me or does she look slightly like balcaen.

I'm not seeing it...

Also, F YES

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

TooLateToGoBack

Good review.

Really digging the album. I never cared for her, but instantly fell in love this year after listening to "Everybody Breaks a Glass".

Title track is my current favorite.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You