Omar S
Just Ask the Lonely

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
October 1st, 2011 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Some albums can really take you on an expedition..

The whole Underground aspect of music is a strange one. Some artists can pop into spotlight with seemingly no real effort, while others struggle to rise up. For Omar S that is leveled. He is solely underground but is trailblazing up to the north, and receiving more and more publicity as the day meets end. With Just Ask the Lonely, Omar S strikes into action and delivers a fortune offering many many deep, groovy, and melodic sequences.

To start the album off you acquire a low-defined buzz noise, incoming through a shock wave of different assorted bangs, hits, and smacks. This song is Jit. The next tune offers a fast paced, get up annotation. I Love You Alex carries on a precious voice overheard by a female, matched with a hard pounce of the bass, and drum. Now moving more onto the Melodic elements, where Striders World most certainly entails for that. Striders World reaches a new momentum, offering an incredible use of the synthesizer, hit, and Atari sounds dated back decades ago. What is moved on throughout the song doesn't hold to much in it, it's more so the mind-indulging. 100% House is defined in the name. Backpacking through very quiet violin marks, shoegazing bell chimes, and motivating clasps, the junction is all within.

Now moving onto one of the most moving Electronic songs( in my opinion) to ever be set foot on land, the title track Just Ask the Lonely. Excursions, in my opinion are somewhat hard to find in Electronic. A lot of them just repeat the same loop repeatedly without much overlaying action to fill in the gap. However, for Just ask the Lonely, that is not the case. The tune is submerged by an amazing, gorgeous, and soft spoken-like piano, gradually gaining momentum, and stepping foot into the Hurricane. The song offers many different drum patterns, and is thrown together all at once.

In all reality, Just ask the Lonely, and Omar S himself are both equally defined as a true Underground artist. However for some, this album might be a little boring for folks. Minimalism is a heavily influenced progression on the release, with equal balances of House and Techno, with parts of Melodic lurking. Just Ask the Lonely is one of those albums that will never fade away. Lets just hope Omar S can live up to these standards in the long road ahead.

Napalm Death From Enslavement to ObliterationBloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesMudvayne Mudvayne
Napalm Death ScumVenetian Snares Doll Doll Doll
Mookid (4)
Some good stuff right here...

Daniel Incognito EMERITUS (5)
Detroit, through and through....

September 30th 2011

It's my first review. Any advice would be welcomed

Liberi Fatali
October 1st 2011

Always nice to see an Alex Smith review, and as you can see by my review I certainly agree with the praise.

As for feedback on the writing, certainly not bad for first review. You do well in actually capturing the sound of each song with some nice descriptors, like how you describe Just Ask the Lonely as "submerged by a gorgeous, and soft spoken piano, gradually gaining momentum and stepping foot into the Hurricane." I also like the line "solely underground but trailblazing up to the north, and receiving more and more publicity as the day meets end"

But as you can see by how I've edited that first sentence, the structuring to your review needs work. Try to work more flow into the way the review reads, and rework sentences until they read logically. For example when you say in the second paragraph "To start the album off you acquire a low-defined buzz noise, incoming through a shock wave of different assorted bangs, hits, and smacks. This song is Jit."

This sentence doesn't really flow and reads a bit awkwardly. Could be reworded to something alone the lines of:
"The album starts off with a low-defined buzz noise, emerging through a shock wave of assorted bangs, hit, and smacks in the song Jit."

Couple other tips:
- Try not to use multiple adjectives that mean essentially the same thing to describe something eg "The tune is submerged by an amazing, gorgeous" "shock wave of different assorted bangs"
- Your introduction is alright, but the last sentence in it doesn't follow on from the rest of it, and really you only want to be making one main argument/point for each paragraph.

foreverendeared
October 1st 2011

Good review. I should probably pick this up.

Liberi Fatali

Incredible album.

Aids
April 1st 2013

this fucking rules, I was a damn fool for rating it 3/5

I gotta re-jam the second one now, too (which I have at a 2.5)

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989