Amestigon
Sun of All Suns

by matthew turok USER (32 Reviews)
September 29th, 2011 | 10 replies

Review Summary: Daymares, Ketamine, & Misanthropy.

Amestigon is an "atmospheric" black metal band from Austria. They're of the slower paced, more depressive side of the genre, which I've grown to love, pared with the traditional ever-blasting style of the '90s. Their lyrical topics touch on occultism and drug abuse, which is quite an interesting mix, or not, depending how you view occultism and those involved.

Sun Of All Suns stands out to me over most other recent black metal releases (recent being the past few years), because of it's honest, dismal feel, as well as the almost doom metal grooves here and there. The counter-balanced feeling of misanthropy and head-bobbing groove on this album pairs so well with the dissociative based themes; it's very much a glimpse into the state of mind one would experience while experiencing a "trip" on that class of hallucinogens.

The title track, Sun Of All Suns is very akin to coming up on a dissociative, it's dirging and cold, almost long winded, but over all satisfying. Daymares, Ketamine, & Misanthropy brings you to the celestial intensity of the true trip, interlaced with the sporadic eerie moments of dreamlike calm, always building on that counter-balance of misanthropy and groove, towards the end the song begins to drone more while getting slightly more uplifting, the feeling of coming to the plateau. Satanic Flesh, reasonably follows as the true plateau. It's ever more eerie and dreamlike, a very entrancing, song leading into more of the unquestionable celestial chaos that partners itself with a dissociative experience that is That Which Is Falling..., a track that eventually peters out into the bipolar disarray of the album closer Mary Go Round, which could be very easily described as the come down of the album: it is mostly calming with short bursts of chaos that generally accompany one's exit from the dextroverse.

This is black metal designed for and by dextronauts.