Behemoth
Pandemonic Incantations

by Shadows USER (89 Reviews)
December 12th, 2005 | 15 replies | 12,125 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Furthering their progression from black metal into death metal, Behemoth’s most underrated release Pandemonic Incantations was certainly that delved into the world of both genres while experimenting with elements that Behemoth would later master. Riffs are suddenly much heavier. Lead guitar is much more prominent. Nergal’s voice is more of a deep shout instead of a high raspy scream, and the band’s themes seem to have taken an eastern approach rather than Slavic cultures. The chants and eastern approach of Diableria are a fitting introduction for a new beginning for the band. It was in this album that Behemoth began to truly take shape into the unique and original band they are now.

This review will be short and to the point for a variety of reasons. I’ll try not to beat around the bush here.

With their third effort, Behemoth successfully littered a raw metal album with brutality and a dark melodic edge. This is easily some of the craftiest blackened death metal ever created, a genre that all too often becomes subject to extreme repetition. Some synth effects and ambience are fiddled with (namely In Thy Pandemaeternum in a manner preceding that which was honed to perfection on Thelema.6. Instruments are taken to new technical levels amplifying the abovementioned melodic side that this album excels in, as in the excellent Driven by the Five-Winged Star. The Past is Like a Funeral is a faster and more chaotic side of the album, throwing in tremolo picked madness with a brighter acoustic backing.

Above all, this album is their strongest glimpse yet into the death metal world. Pandemonic Incantations shows that they’ve risen beyond any shallow black metal expectations people held in the past to prove just how multi-dimensional they are. Brand new experiences are joined with their most extreme style of writing yet to produce an album with a blend of genres and a basis of creativity and execution that past albums lacked. This is easily the most overlooked of all of Behemoth’s fine albums due to circumstances regarding their label and financial standing; however, let no lack of hype turn you away from a record of good metal. Behemoth’s later death metal days have become famous for the depth and originality involved in the writing, and Pandemonic Incantations is the beginning of that incredible legacy.

Recommended Listening:
˘ In Thy Pandemaeternum
˘ Driven By The Five-Winged Star
˘ With Spell of Inferno

Strengths:
˘ A new, creative side of the band
˘ Higher level of playing than usual
˘ Raw, yet heavy and experimental

Weaknesses:
˘ Lack of production clarity
˘ Some inconsistency among songs

Jawaharal

Good work

Ace_of_Bass2112
December 12th 2005

hmmm you do do your reviews in twos. From now on im going to do my reviews in 10's :p

Cravinov13
December 12th 2005

This album is really good. Good Morbid Angel influenced Death.

Shadows
December 12th 2005

This review was one of three.

Thank you very much everyone, this is goooooooood death metal.

Priestmetal
December 12th 2005

Yea I like some Behemoth but Im not a huge death metal fan. His vocals annoy me sometimes though. I really like knowing what the lyrics are without having to look on the interent. Yet if I dont look up Behemoths lyrics I have no fucking clue what he's saying!!!

Thor
December 13th 2005

I just recently started listening to this band, and they are pretty good. The only album that I have is Demigod but I really liked it. Should I get this one next or another one?

Shadows
December 13th 2005

Get some of their latest albums before this. If you like Demigod, then you'll want to get the albums in that vein. Check out Thelema.6, Satanica, and Zos Kia Cultus. All sweet albums, but Demigod is probably the best.

I'm listening to Satanica right now. Good stuff. I can't wait for their next album.

Anglachel
February 20th 2006

I got this album from R&M DU as well. Its great. Good review aswell.

Rugter32
December 19th 2008

This album is the most "meh" of Behemoth's albums, IMO. There's the creativity factor, but the couldn't pull off the sound they attempted here until Satanica. But well, The Past Is Like A Funeral is too damn good anyway. I didn't like any of their first albums much, actually. From Satanica to the present I like.

OvTheFireAndVoid
March 15th 2010

Rugter32, have you ever heard of Grom?

That's easily their most "meh" album.. lol.

DestroyHim
January 16th 2011

this album is awesome. inferno makes himself really known here. anyway this is raw as fuck. only problem is some tracks run into each other because of a lack of key changes.

uninvited

March 17th 2012

Well said

linguist2011
February 2nd 2013

I thought it was actually with 'Satanica' that the band first made their progression from BM to a more DM-orientated sound, but listening to this album now makes me think otherwise. Although there are elements of the band's earlier work still evident on this album, the different vocal styles and guitar work makes it seem not only more melodic but at times, more technical. It is indeed a good album, but the band would improve on this sound over the next few albums and beyond. Still a vital part of any Behemoth fan's CD collection.

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden