Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin IV

by guitarded_chuck USER (4 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 791 replies | 78,649 views

Robert Plant - Vocals and Harmonica
Jimmy Page - Electric and Acoustic Guitars
John Paul Jones - Bass Guitar, Keyboard and Mandolin
John Bonham - Drums and Percussion

This album, with its title-less cover, (it is called, and obviously now accepted, as "Led Zeppelin IV, even though it offically has no title) is, in all honesty, legendary. It is, in my opinion, and most Zeppelin fan's opinion, their best. It has sold the most copies by far. 22,000,000 copies to date. (a stat from 1999) That places Led Zeppelin IV at number 7 on the all-time, best selling albums list. Every single track on this album is well known, and most people have heard of them before. It includes the famous song "Stairway to Heaven." Quite possibly the most famous rock song ever. And the best part about it, Zeppelin didn't even put out a single. And also, they were well known for being camera shy, giving very few interviews.

Led Zeppelin is an all-star band. Robert Plant is an great singer with the ability to hit all of those high notes, and isn't afraid to do it. Although he might take some time to get used to. Jimmy Page is one of the best guitarists of all-time, enough said. John Paul Jones is a great musician, with many talents, and he is great with any instrument. John Bonham is an amazing drummer. He tragically passed away in 1980 from "drowning in his own vomit" after consuming an in-human ammount of vodka.

The Songs

1. Black Dog - My favorite on the album after "Stairway To Heaven", "Black Dog" starts this album of with a bang. You get a good taste of every member in this song, as they all contribute equally. Plant sings a line, and the band responds with a catchy riff. Jimmy Page's solo is one of the best on the album, which is played over the main riff, and Plant singing in the background. This song is quite well known, and is a good example of why Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands all-time.

2. Rock and Roll - Another well known, pretty generic song by the band. This song has been everywhere, movies, radio, and covered by many bands. A fast, exciting song. The main riff, played by Page and Jones, is catchy and memorable. And of course, you can't forget about Bonham's expert talent on the drums.

3. The Battle of Evermore - Just one of the two songs on the album that I am not too fond of. It is an eerie folk ballad, written by Plant. At the time, Plant was obessed over researching religions and mythology. This definitley shines through with this song.

4. Stairway to Heaven - I am sure you all know of this song. Many think it is over-rated, but not me. Maybe the most famous rock and roll song of all time. I was reading a little bit of a Guitar One magazine last night (February 2004 I believe) and it had a little section were Page talked about writting "Stairway to Heaven". He said that the guitar riffs came from fooling around with the acoustic guitar in the studio. The band heard it and loved it. They put together the riff together with Jones on the keyboard (an ecential part of this song) and Plant wrote lyrics to it. Jimmy Page's solo for this song is remarkable. He also talked about the solo in the magazine. How did he write it? He didn't. He sat down and improvised three solo's, and picked the one which was best suited for the song. That just shows how great of a musician Page is/was. Ironically, they have found subliminal messages about Satan in this song as well. Many people here on MX have already seen this but if you haven't, you must check it out.
[url]http://www2.memlane.com/jmilner/stairwaybackwards.htm[/url]

5. Misty Mountain Top - Yet another classic song. Another one of my favorite rock and roll songs. Page writes the best, most catchy riffs, than any other guitarist I have ever heard. This song is no exception. It has been described perfectly as "a pounding hippie satire." That is exactly what it is like. Of course, being in their prime in the 70's, Led Zeppelin was a favorite amongst the "hippie" groups.

6. Four Sticks - An alright song. It has lots of funky riffs, but I just can't get into it. Plant doesn't even sound like himself in this song. If I had never heard of it before, I probably wouldn't have guessed it was a Led Zeppelin song the first time. I have never been able to get into it, but it is my friends favorite song, so I guess it is all a matter of opinion.

7. Going to California - The slowest song on the album is another folk ballad dedicated to Joni Mitchell, the girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair." I really enjoy this song, and put it on when I am in a calm mood. Jones plays the mandolin, Page plays fingerpicking an acoustic guitar. Great song.

8. When The Levee Breaks - A twangy (that even a word?), but great blues epic. Great way to end a great album. I love the guitar, and the main riff is played by Plant on the harmonica. He is actually pretty good with that thing. Only complaint I have about it is that, at just over seven minutes, it is kind of long for such a repetitive song. Almost sounds like a country song to me maybe, but don't disregard this song because of that.

Well, there you go. I have said that it is great album probably a million times, but it really is. If there are any mistakes just let me know. Feel free to do your own review if you wish, I would love to read what you have to say. Thanks. :thumb:

My rating: 5/5

I don't like giving albums 5/5, unless they are pretty near to perfect, and this one is.

Kaden
March 23rd 2004

The only one I don't like is Four Sticks. I think Battle of Evermore is an amazing song, it just drags on for way too long. about 3 minutes, and it would rule.

you forgot to rate the album.

guitarded_chuck

^^
Heh, oh yeah.

Tomahawk

Jigglypuff
March 23rd 2004

[QUOTE=Tomahawk]Good review. I really like this album, When The Levee Breaks is probably my favourite Led Zep song.[/QUOTE]

"When The Levee Breaks" = awesome blues epic. Although I prefer Houses of the Holy by far, it's still my favourite Zeppelin song.

BludgeonySteve
March 23rd 2004

Good job. It was only a matter of time until somebody did this album. I can safely say that Led Zep IV never leaves my tripple cd changer unless i'm taking it somewhere. Battle of Evermore is an amazing song and so is misty mountain top. Stairway is beyond amazing and black dog and rock and roll can get the party started and keep it going all night long. I think i'll go listen to it. :D

*killed the hell out of my record version trying to play stairway backwards :upset:*

Badmoon

MxShredder
March 23rd 2004

That stairway backwards thing creeped me out pretty good :thumb:

This is a great album, all of the songs are above average for me, my favorites being black dog, rock and roll, stairway to heaven, and going to california

4.5/5

superpeer
March 24th 2004

This album has some great songs.

But Stairway remains the classic.

ZEROthirtythree
March 24th 2004

[QUOTE=badmoon349] I don't like this album or band. You can say I can't stand them.[/QUOTE]

surprising

The NPC
March 24th 2004

I never really liked Zeppelin either. Robert Plant's voice just pisses me off.

I stick to The Yardbirds.

jimmypumpkin
March 24th 2004

[QUOTE=badmoon349]Good review, and good job contributing to conquering the 500 list. I don't like this album or band. You can say I can't stand them.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

BludgeonySteve
March 24th 2004

[QUOTE=jimmypumpkin]You've said that about 50 times in other various threads. Honestly, who cares? I personally think Keith Moon is one of the most overrated drummers of all time. Maybe I should go into all the threads involving The WhoKeith Moon and say that about 100 times.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Calm down. He doesn't like zeppelin for being too mainstream and thinks that alot of other classic rock deserves more respect and radio time in place of them. I don't agree but he has a valid point.

jimmypumpkin

sr800bkAGAIN!
March 24th 2004

[QUOTE=jimmypumpkin]Yeah, but everybody knows what he thinks about them. There's no need for him to state his opinion on the band as much as he has. When i see a thread on a topic I don't like I usually don't bother posting. What's the point if you don't have a positive thing to say about the topic? It's contributing nothing.[/QUOTE]
actually this is to discuss the artists and CD's, this forum doesnt limit certain threads only to people who agree with it.

just immagine what the Politics/World Issues forum would be like if MXers could disagree with threads :eek:

guitarded_chuck
March 26th 2004

[QUOTE=no peros calentes]I never really liked Zeppelin either. Robert Plant's voice just pisses me off.

I stick to The Yardbirds.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, like I said it takes awhile to get used it it. And he can get pretty annoying sometimes. Especially live. He screams out the guitar solos with Page, just sounds bad.

Badmoon

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I wasn't expecting someone to get so offended because of my opinion. I also believe that Keith is an overrated drummer. And I'm aloud to have my opinion. You also may have not noticed but I did put "good review", because I thought he did a good job, and I figured I might as well post what I think of them. So get your undies out of a bundle and learn that other people have opinions. It's not like I'm trying to persuade you to stop liking Led Zeppelin.

It is an open forum, open to all discusion, and opinions. If you don't like what I post come up with something better than I state my opinion to much.

P.S Please go into a thread about Keith Moon, and post your opinion about him being overrated, your entitled to it. And if there is a thread about something I have an interest in or hate, you can be sure that you'll see my opinion in there :thumb: .

Lateralias

zepphead89
May 1st 2004

[QUOTE=Lateralias]Excellent review... I think Led Zep IV is by far there best record, and those subliminal messages in "Stairway to Heaven" still leave me wondering...[/QUOTE]

Dude i don't beleive in the "subliminal messages" thing. It was probably started by some crackheads who got bored and messed up their DSOTM album(no disrespect to Pink Floyd)I love this album. It is the only zepp i own on vinyl, and it never bores me. Every song on this album was great from beginning to end. But i would say my least favorite is going to california. I love it, but it's just not heavy enough at points to be as great as songs like black dog and stairway to heaven.When the levee breaks is just a great blues song by far.
*tries stairway thing :confused: *

5/5

Big Tube
May 1st 2004

Nice review. This was another album my dad gave me years ago. When I first listened to it I just couldn't get past Plants voice and only really listened to Black Dog and Stairway, but over the years I have slowly come to love that voice. Led Zep is probablly now my favorite band of all time.

Thanks dad! :thumb: