Scorpions
Eye II Eye

2.0
poor

by mark sammut USER (37 Reviews)
September 10th, 2011 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A bad album with a few good songs.

Scorpions are one of the best bands to ever grace the rock scene, and also one of the most underrated. Forming in the 60s, this band from Germany had a bit of a slow start, but things started to come together in the early 70s with their debut album. Due to the departure of a key band member the band looked to have reached a premature end, but the band recollected itself and rose to fame with the release of the brilliant ‘Fly from a rainbow’ album. The band followed the record with ‘In Trance’, but the band really found commercial success with the 1979 album ‘Lovedrive’.

The 80s saw the band at their best musically, and also it was during this decade they had their biggest hit In ‘Rock you like a hurricane’. The 90s came, and like most 80s bands, Scorpions realized they need to change their music style. This saw a departure from the more metal influenced albums, to a more commercial sounding era. 1990’s ‘Crazy World’ was a huge success resulting in hits in the form of ‘Winds of Change’ and ‘Send me an angel’. Despite the change in tone, the album was still very good. This would be the last truly great album Scorpions would release until 2007 with the release of the perfect ‘Humanity Hour I’.

During that period Scorpions released a total of 4 albums, with the worst being ‘Eye II Eye’. Being their most pop oriented album, it alienated the fans they still had, and also saw a drastic slide in their marketability.
Despite how poor the album is overall, it is not all bad. At points Scorpions actually decided to rock out a bit. ‘Mind Like A Tree’ is the best track on the whole record. An extremely heavy track with metaphorical lyrics, contains some really haunting chants, and a chorus that should not work half as well as it does.

‘Aleyah’ and ‘Yellow Butterfly’ are two more tracks worth noticing. They both are in the same mold of the pre-mentioned track. ‘Aleyah’ has the best lyrics on the whole, with a great bridge and an even better chorus.

The album also contains the only song Scorpions have ever recorded in their native tongue. ‘Du Bist So Schmutzig’ is actually one of the better tracks on the album. Even though I don’t understand any of the lyrics, they still seem better than most of the drivel that invades this album. The song is quite heavy, but it also contains an almost alternative metal feel to it, making for an interesting listen.

So from a total of 14 tracks, four are truly good songs. ‘Mysterious’ was the highest ranked single from the album, and it’s an okay track. The rest of the album is mostly ballads, with a few pop rock songs thrown in. ‘Freshly Squeezed’ and ‘To Be No.I’ are generic pop rock, sounding like something Nickelback would release as b-sides. The rest are ballads, and the only song that I believe is worth listening to is ’10 Light Years Away’. Despite its cheesy lyrics, Schenker and Jabs acoustic guitars give the song a mystical vibe that I don’t mind admitting I enjoy. The rest of the songs should be avoided, unless suffer from insomnia.

Here’s an album that almost ruined Scorpions, an album that saw them disappear for 5 years. The follow up, ‘Unbreakable’, is a decent enough album, but it’s their 2007 release that saw them reclaim most of their lost fan base.

Butch Walker Left of Self-CenteredPink The Truth About Love
Barenaked Ladies Everything to EveryoneMetallica Death Magnetic
Avril Lavigne Let GoGuns N' Roses G N' R Lies
2.1
poor

scissorlocked
September 10th 2011

Scorpions never seemed underrated to me

mark1991
September 10th 2011

Fair enough, i just believe they should be included with bands like AC/DC and Rolling Stones as legends of rock. As popular as they are, they never quite reached that level of acknowledgement.

Lebren
September 10th 2011

Eye II Eye is one of the worst albums I've ever heard...

And I don't see anything perfect about Humanity Hour I. In fact it's not much better than THIS

rockandmetaljunkie
September 10th 2011

I really hope that the scorps will be inducted in the rnr hall of fame one day so that their hard work will be recognised even more.

mark1991
September 10th 2011

@Lebren - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO its one of the best hard rock albums of the last decade, each track is single worthy for me. But obviously that just a matter of opinion

JamieTwort
September 11th 2011

20672 Comments

This album is terrible.

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt

danielcardoso
August 27th 2014

Besides Mysterious and Aleyah, this album sucks for the most part.