Avenged Sevenfold
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet

by plugged my butthole USER (21 Reviews)
September 9th, 2011 | 33 replies | 4,779 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is an original, experimental piece of work that successfully achieves what many up and coming bands cannot; release a decent debut album that appeals to the public.

Avenged Sevenfold’s first album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet contains only two of the members that currently reside in the band – M. Shadows and Zacky Vengeance. Synyster Gates, existing lead guitarist for A7X, is absent from this album for the most part. It was released with bassist Justin Sane and James Sullivan on the drums. In Avenged Sevenfold and Nightmare you see Avenged Sevenfold develop to an almost hard rock style of music, fusing brisk melodies with complex chord progressions. Yet before their abrupt change of musical ideologies in City of Evil, there was a darker, riff-oriented style of music that is Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.

Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is very innovative, and there are many creative moments of brilliance hidden within this record. Avenged Sevenfold experiment with multiple genres, most commonly a combination of punk and metalcore, best noted on “Thick and Thin.” They successfully develop Shadows vocals on some occasions, and overdub his screamed vocals with clean which is greatly beneficial and it also adds an extra punch. This can be heard on the albums preeminent track, “Darkness Surrounding.” At times, however, there are some cons that can be gathered from their inexperience as a band. Without anybody in particular to hold A7X on a leash, they create a few awkward passages that detract from the overall atmosphere of a certain song. During “The Art of Subconscious Illusion,” M.Shadows’ wife lets rip a line of vicious, satanic screams, and although it is tentative, the fruitless attempts at livening the song fail. On “Shattered By Broken Dreams,” the vocals subside into a whisper in the middle of song in a vain attempt to create a unsettling ambience. On the contrary, it is rather annoying and unnecessary. However the brutal punk-based riff that follows makes up for the lack of environment. Frequently Avenged Sevenfold achieve a certain mood by a varying use of instruments. “We Come Out At Night,” and “Warmness on the Soul,” withhold monumental piano refrains that are chilling to the bone.

Without Synyster Gates, the guitar-work contained inside Sounding the Seventh Trumpet is a lot simpler, devoid of the memorable duets that rumble on Avenged Sevenfolds later efforts. It is instead blazoned with brutal riffs and vehement breakdowns, although exceedingly dissimilar to those you would find on a typical Bring Me The Horizon record. The tone of the guitars is very dark, and the heavy guitar tone brings an implausible number of benefits to the table. Where a band could’ve faltered and gone for a frail, un-distorted tone, Avenged Sevenfold blasted in the opposite direction to great subsidy. Although the overall feel from the majority of the tracks is that the guitar-work is sloppy and messy, it certainly doesn’t subtract anything from the records original quality. The album is devoid of guitar solos and sometimes this figure is really apparent in songs that lack a punch. “An Epic of Time Wasted,” seems like a dull, repetitive track until a brief yet effective guitar phrase comes into play on multiple occasions.

Synyster Gates only features once on Sounding the Seventh Trumpet yet when he does, he does it in style, laying down a ferocious solo leading into the short song “To End the Rapture.” The original version of this song, features just an atmospheric piano playing along with M. Shadows unnerving vocals. Throughout the record, the singing seems the exact opposite to what people complain about Shadows’ vocals today: they are under-produced. At times his clean singing seems strained, and slightly off tune, yet it is these exact imperfections that really exemplify certain songs, like “Darkness Surrounding.” The majority of the record is screamed, and the dark growling although sometimes ear-splitting and off-putting is generally performed well.

The musicianship on display isn’t anything out of the ordinary. The bass is generally a non-factor unless it’s the only instrument playing. The drums follow a simple beat for most songs, however on “Lips of Deceit,” the Rev really breaks free of his bonds and shows everyone the supreme amount of talent he suppresses.

Avenged Sevenfold release a very competent and innovative record that exemplifies the ability to release a far from ordinary debut album which many bands seem to be doing in this day and age. There are a few rough patches throughout the course of the album, yet overall it is a very successful attempt to liven an often limited yet over-whelming genre.

Pros:
+ Guitar tone suits the feel
+ Good variety
+ Song-writing ability is there

Cons:
- Awkward passages appearing often
- Inconsistency of good breakdowns

Recommended Tracks
Thick and Thin
Darkness Surrounding
To End the Rapture (Both versions)
We Come out at Night

Dinosaur Jr. BugMuse The 2nd Law
Wongraven FjelltronenLumsk Troll
John Williams Harry Potter and the Philosopher's StoneJeremy Soule The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Soundtrack
good
Brendan Schroer STAFF (3.2)

Spec (4)
A metalcore debut full of imperfections, instrumental chaos and painful screamed vocals that come to...

Drunken Viking (3.5)

TurnTheOtherWay (4)

September 9th 2011

not too many reviews for their first album so I gave it a shot.

I love this album

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

Acanthus

Need to listen to this.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

September 9th 2011

Yeah this is an awesome album.
I love darkness surrounding.

Darkness Surrounding is one of my faves, as is Shattered by Broken Dreams

September 9th 2011

Yeah thats a good song, I don't like the middle part of it (where he starts whispering) but after that it goes good again lol.

which to end the rapture do you prefer?

September 9th 2011

I like the end of that song best, but I like the whole thing

I haven't heard the non-Synyster version now that you mention it, I'll have to look it up

September 9th 2011

It's really good, I'll link you.

I prefer this one.

A7XEric
September 9th 2011

Love this band, but most of this album is sorta bad to be honest, save for a couple tracks.

A7XERIC!
I like half of it, the other half is pretty crap I guess.
But the good half is really good

September 9th 2011

this and WTF are my faves, but CoE is still good

September 9th 2011

I reckon WTF, CoE, STST, Nightmare, S/T.
But yeah first three best easily.

ZilbelPing
September 10th 2011

I loved COE for a long time but it dwindled to listening to a few tracks every few weeks or so. Same for WTF. Self titled and Nightmare should have never existed.

This review really makes me want to check this out. Have a pos

Emim
September 10th 2011

the only standout song is Warmness on the Soul, and the production on it is lolbad

Crymsonblaze
September 10th 2011

I like Warmness on the Soul, but that's about it.

Omaha
September 10th 2011

Yeah, never got into this album. His lyrics struck me as so cheesy, especially on songs like Thick and Thin, ugh

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

jayfatha

I think it goes WtF, this, Nightmare, CoE, S/T
Never really liked CoE all that much. But yeah, good review. I'll pos

Cheers thanks guys.
I was gonna mention warmness on the soul but I kinda forgot lol.

The lyrics on that are eww

theM3rcenary
October 12th 2011

Great review, it would've been pretty cool if the band would have stuck with the style they had on the first two albums.

October 13th 2011

Thanks, and yeah people bitch about this album being punky and over-experimental, but I think it's pretty awesome, especially Darkness Surrounding.