Anathema
Falling Deeper

by Trey Spencer STAFF
September 6th, 2011 | 126 replies

Review Summary: Be careful what you wish for because sometimes the results won't end up how you imagined.

In 2008, Anathema released an album called Hindsight. Essentially, it was a collection of reworked songs from the band’s previous albums but it was also far more than that. It was more simply due to the amount of time and effort that went into presenting the songs under a new light while still staying true to the originals – to the point that some of the recreations actually rivaled their (already excellent) original counterparts. The only real problem was that the band completely ignored the songs from their early doom releases, but it seemed as though they were ready to correct that issue with the release of Falling Deeper. Unfortunately, the problem isn’t going to feel corrected after listening to Falling Deeper. Despite what has been said, Falling Deeper isn’t nearly the masterful collection of recreations that its sister album was. Barring a few exceptions, Falling Deeper feels more like a rushed and lazy attempt at silencing all of the people that had wished for a few older doom songs on the Hindsight album and nothing more.

One of the best aspects of Hindsight was its ability to re-create the older songs while still staying true to the originals, but that just doesn’t happen very often here. Instead, a majority of these songs are (largely) instrumental pieces that latch onto one or two melodies from the original track and recreate them with hardly more than a piano, the occasional guitar and subtle orchestral backing arrangements. So, instead of a new, more atmospheric version of the slow-building, ten-minute “We, the Gods”, we are presented with a three-minute instrumental version that has been distilled down to a single melody reproduced by a piano and a subtle synth undercurrent. This isn’t an isolated occurrence, either. The seven minute “Crestfallen” is whittled down to three minutes, “Sleep in Sanity” also loses three minutes from its original runtime and the list goes on. On the flipside, they’ve also extended the lengths of a few songs that really didn’t need it. The two-minute “J’ai Fait Une Promesse” was perfect as it was with its acoustic guitar and female-sung French lyrics, and definitely didn’t need to have its runtime doubled while stripping it of all vocals. Even more confusing was the band’s decision to take the underwhelming “Alone…” and extend it from a boring four minute piece to an oppressively long seven minute track that somehow manages to bring nothing new to the table.

I don’t know how the band let it happen, but they finally released an album that is completely unremarkable and even feels a bit lazy. From the abridged runtimes to the decision to make most of the songs instrumental, the band just didn’t seem to want to put much effort into this. Understandably, taking songs that were originally written for death vocals and transforming them into lush atmospheric rock could pose a few problems, but it could have been done. Tracks such as “Crestfallen”, “Sleep in Sanity” and “Sunset of Age” prove that it was possible for the band to transform lethargic doom metal into chill atmospheric rock, but they just didn’t make an effort. Anathema have referred to Falling Deeper as the follow-up to Hindsight, but anybody expecting the same remarkable quality as that album will be sorely disappointed. Whereas Hindsight took the original songs and completely re-imagined them, Falling Deeper seems mostly content to offer up abridged, lazy renditions that are short on creativity and effort.

Kenn Nardi Dancing With the PastSick of It All The Last Act of Defiance

Damn

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

crazyblinddude

Really good review, Willie. This does make me sad though :/

I hope their actual follow up LP is at par with their standard quality.

Gmork89
September 6th 2011

That's a shame, I really enjoyed the first 3 tracks so far though.

Willie
September 6th 2011

The first two songs aren't bad, and the third one might not be too annoying until you realize that it's virtually all you're going to hear for the rest of the album.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

zxlkho
September 6th 2011

I really like this album. It's a very relaxing listen for me.

Willie
September 6th 2011

It is relaxing, but it's supposed to be more than that. It's supposed to be re-creations of those older songs, the same way Hindsight was. This isn't it, though. Also, it may be relaxing but the music isn't all that interesting for the most part.

Try: In the Nursery - Era

September 6th 2011

Hearing this makes me sad...I'll probably still check it out but my expectations have been lowered

Digging: Low Roar - 0

iamSeraph
September 6th 2011

makes me sad...I hope I like it more than you, willie.. ./

Irving
September 6th 2011

All the sadness in this thread has made me sad too...and I don't even know Anathema.

pizzamachine
September 6th 2011

What was the bad thinking? Good review.

Deviant.
September 6th 2011

Will still check out for curiosity's sake but then again I was never expecting this to be great in the first place

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

DarkNoctus
September 6th 2011

yeah this blew. i liked the first two tracks but then it's just a blatant cash in on their old material without even changing things much. hindsight totally reworked songs, this just stole a few melodies and stretched them out into empty, hollow pieces. :[

Makemebad35
September 7th 2011

Wow, this is a shame. I really liked Hindsight and was hoping this would be around the same. I'll still listen since it is Anathema.

YouGotLucky
September 7th 2011

Oh sheett.. edited my last post.

We're here because we're here was amazing.

Voivod

Superb review.

These guys are lazy for quite some time now.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

Gmork89
September 7th 2011

Considering their last full length rules, right Voivod?

kangaroopoo
September 7th 2011

Great review. I am disappoint.

Voivod
September 7th 2011

Considering their last full length rules, right Voivod?

Their last full length is a good album (as in 3/5), but its final merit just doesn't justify the 6 years interval between it and the previous one.

Whispered4tw
September 7th 2011

I'm not particularly familiar with the older albums of Anathema, so for me this is just a very relaxing album with piano, string arrangments and some occasional guitar. If you focus on the music presented here, instead of constantly comparing it with the older songs, it's a pretty good album.

Alone is boring though

bodiesinflight57
September 7th 2011

I really like this. Prefer to the originals in some cases.