Game
The R.E.D. Album

by gottagetmine92 USER (3 Reviews)
September 3rd, 2011 | 24 replies | 5,594 views

Review Summary: A solid album that could REALLY cut down on the tracks and cameos.

Game may not have the once-successful hit single formulas at his disposal much anymore (i.e. a track with 50, Dr. Dre, or Lil Wayne), but one thing is for sure: his mouth still works. From calling out Jay for the umpteenth time to calling Lil B the worst rapper ever, Game still has that backup plan of letting the superstar speak when the artist cannot. Game had not one, not two, but five singles that failed to create a huge impact on the charts. Five singles.

Now it doesn't mean that R.E.D. is an automatic failure. It is a great album that nonetheless is long and messy with its many positives outweighing its many negatives. First off, if an album has more than 20 tracks, expect some filler. And there is a lot of filler in the R.E.D. album. The first half contains some memorable tracks but the second half contains a cluster of filler with some hardly unique production. Quite a shame considering the first half contains some really great beats like the energetic "The City" and the intense Boyz-N-Tha-Hood ode "Ricky". In fact, the only memorable cuts from the second half are produced by Maestro (the paranoid and bombastic "Paramedics") and of course, the king of NY hip hop, DJ Premier ("Born In the Trap"). You would wonder why Dr. Dre couldn't help out a little more beyond one track and a bunch of pointless skits. Really, the album has no actual theme or story attached, so why do it?

Collaborations are another impediment but not in the way one would usually characterize as. While Game holds his own against the other MCs, the whole comes as a mixed result. Either he sounds less dominant ("The City" and "Paramedics"), or he ends up taking a piece of their style. Some work ("Martians vs Goblins") and some don't ("Speakers on Blast" with a poor imitation of Big Boi's flow).

Nonetheless, Game sounds as hungry as ever on R.E.D., maybe as hungry as he was on Doctor's Advocate. He hasn't stopped the name-dropping but he has bettered it. He sounds funnier when he name-drops in "Martians vs Goblins" ("Sniff a ***ing unemployment line of cocaine/ Tie Lil B up to a full tank of propane/ Swag, now watch him cook.. and just stand there and look/ Have a bonfire with old Harry Potter books"). Even though he commits the occasional mistake (confusing Captain America as a DC superhero), he sounds more calculated with his name-dropping even when initially "It got old like Betty White" sounds straight up stupid till he says the next line.

"Red Nation" is another great ode to his former gang with the brilliant Cool and Dre flipping another dance record for the gangsta rap audience. "Heavy Artillery" stands as the best collaboration with Rick Ross, Game, and Beanie Sigel going hard over the ominous beat and chorus. The short but sweet "Drug Test" is one of those tracks to make an old West Coast hip hop fan smile. The album's most anticipated track ("Born In The Trap") however best represents Game with its poignant insight delivered with Game's usual style that comes close to Nas'.

"So what's going on with you f*ggots?
And what you gonna do when your swag no longer matters?
And your bitch ain't the baddest cause she in her mid-40s
And your Phantom played out so you hating on the shorties...

"Go to Haiti and feed to the Bahamas and breathe
On the way back, to my nigga Sean from Belize, you know
Sometimes I feel like this rap *** is heaven sent
Then I get a high, feel like it's irrelevant"

Despite its flawed moments (in which case there are several), R.E.D. is still a great release that shows Game bettering himself while still sticking to the script that has brought him fame and respect for years. And while the script itself does get old, Game keeps it fresh with his better rhymes. It could be trimmed but at least Jimmy Iovine didn't shelve this.

3.2
good
snoopdogg6969 (4)
The Game over-hyped this album by delaying it multiple times but it is still an excellent album with...

TheeLAMadMan (4)

DarthMann
September 3rd 2011

decent review

Fuff24
September 3rd 2011

decent; talk about the production and a little more about the album this will be better

Tupik
September 4th 2011

^^^I agree, it's really too bad there isn't even a small paragraph in regards to the production, because otherwise this is a very good review (certainly better than the other one), and you summed it up very well.

I agree with almost everything you said, this is his best work since Doctor's Advocate, which I liked a lot.

I'll still pos because I like everything you wrote, perhaps you might want to edit the review and add a little something about the beats though.

Deviant.
September 4th 2011

'Martians vs Goblins' is one of the hottest beats I've heard this year

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

jefflebowski
September 4th 2011

This album is a mess. Good review though

September 4th 2011

your second and third paragraphs hit the nail on the head. the review could use a little cleaning up but overall it's good.

the beats on this are by and large great, but does anyone else feel like the EQ levels/mixing is a bit messy at times? i.e. Drug Test

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

Relinquished

123 deviant

this is real good

NickelbackFTL
September 4th 2011

Cut out like half the tracks and this could be hip hop album of the year.

gottagetmine92
September 4th 2011

I edited the review to include more info on the production, as asked. Indeed I should have put more info about it on the first time. But I tried to squeeze it in somehow.

Scrambled
September 4th 2011

Doesn't seem like Game is really trying with this one...

jefflebowski
September 4th 2011

let's be honest though, he isn't a top-class even when he does try, technically or lyrically. All his best moments have been through solid performances and great production, not his rapping flair

Sleaper
September 6th 2011

dunno wtf u guys talkin bout.
he killed it wit this one.. apart from the second half >.>
1 - 11 and add born in the trap for last track. Ignore rest and you got an awesome hip hop album.
What eva i didnt mention dont bother with. ive deleted em from my itunes album rofl. 12 track album
awww yeee

Digging: Future - Honest

joesmoe4000
September 22nd 2011

sputnik users for the most part condone dick riding and didn't hear of kendrick lamar till this album!

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

October 19th 2011

Martians vs. Goblins is pretty boss, might need to get this.

qwe3
December 22nd 2011

"Ricky" is so fucking good oh mann

December 22nd 2011

I have to be in the right mindset to really dig that one. definitely not one of the songs I always go
to on this (i.e. Drug Test, Martians, Red Nation, Speakers on Blast).

qwe3
December 22nd 2011

yeah martians has the best beat holy sheeit. i actually really like this album much better than his last one

December 22nd 2011

oh for sure i don't think it's even close. i jammed this all summer.

FromDaHood
January 5th 2012

Martians vs. Aliens is so sweet. I wish Weezy did more than just the hook though.

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

snoopdogg6969
September 6th 2012

Mama Knows is one of Games most lyrically complex songs... Speakers On Blast is the best song on the album. All I know is really good as well. The second half is not bad you need to stop making such ridiculous generalizations because people actually believe it!

"Cut out like half the tracks and this could be hip hop album of the year."

Try 3. hello, pot of gold and basic bitch are the only bad songs on here (and the interludes of course). The rest are gold.