David Bowie
David Live

2.0
poor

by SethPutnam USER (7 Reviews)
August 31st, 2011 | 6 replies

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cocaine's a hell of a drug...

I find David Bowie to be a very hit or miss musician. Opposite the spectrum of Ziggy, Station, and Low you have "The Laughing Gnome," Pin Ups, Tin Machine… and this.

This album's gotten good reviews on Amazon and a few other sites, but I find it pretty awful. It might just be the worst 15 bucks I've ever spent on an album, and that's coming from someone who bought the deluxe edition of St. Anger. Even members of the band have trashed the performance on David Live as stilted and uncomfortable sounding. Apparently, there was some kind of mutiny in Bowie's band backstage and the tension really shows. There were also a lot of technical difficulties, and the backing vocals had to be redone in a studio; the overall mix is thin and distorted sounding, despite producer Tony Visconti's best efforts.

The record is ruined not by the production however, but by David himself. His vocals are strained sounding, and his arrangements obsessive and overwrought. Once straightforward rock songs like "Jean Genie" and "Rebel Rebel" are bogged down by ornate keyboard playing, vocal harmonies, and horn arrangements. Songs like "Suffragette City" and "Moonage Daydream" run minutes beyond their studio versions, not due to added or extended sections but unbearably slow tempos. "All The Young Dudes" barely resembles its original form, and not for the better. Earl Slick's guitar playing is downright wimpy compared to Mick Ronson's, and the most unwelcome presence of all is saxophone player David Sanborn, who ruins each track with his proto-Kenny G noodling. I will concede that Sanborn is a talented player, just out-of-place on this record. In fact, everyone involved in this record was very talented- Michael Kamen, Herbie Flowers, Mike Garson, Bowie himself- just remember that the finest ingredients don't always make for a good meal. Execution is everything.

The overall problem with David Live is that it found Bowie at an awkward transition between his glam rock and plastic soul periods. His soul persona was very embryonic, but Ziggy wasn't quite dead yet either, leaving Bowie stuck in the middle and playing an contrived blend of both genres. His "all-white diet" of cocaine and milk certainly didn't help either. Of his gaunt appearance on the cover, David had this to say: My God, it looks like I’ve just stepped out of the grave. That’s actually how I felt. That record should have been called 'David Bowie Is Alive and Well and Living Only in Theory'".

Indeed, these were dark times for Bowie. He thought England needed a fascist dictatorship, witches were out to get his semen, and that Jimmy Page had brought poltergeists into his home. His antics on the Diamond Dogs tour are rather ludicrous in hindsight, and actually forced him into bankruptcy. Most shows (including the one recorded on this album) would begin with David singing in a massive, diamond-encrusted hand which gradually opened to reveal him sitting in a Lotus Position. "Space Oddity" was sung from a giant cherry picker, and "Sweet Thing" was sung atop a mock drawbridge which descended as the song progressed. Other songs incorporated mime, and props such as boxing gloves, Noh masks, and a human skull, ala Hamlet.

If you are a Bowie fan, please do not get this record. It's a glimpse into a very tragic period of his life, and not in a good way like Station To Station or Low. If you're looking for "David Live," you won't find it here.

Opeth HeritageDream Theater A Dramatic Turn of Events
The Cure BloodflowersThe Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Scatman John Take Your TimeLed Zeppelin In Through the Out Door

August 31st 2011

His son makes great movies

Digging: Main Attrakionz - 808s & Dark Grapes III

Jethro42
September 1st 2011

Ouch
Added to my listen-to-list

dylantheairplane
May 2nd 2013

Yeah so bought this on vinyl the other day. I don't know why it gets such a bad rep, it is pretty cool. The songs sound like his glam era songs fused with the soul influences he would draw from on his next two albums.
Of course it isnt the best live recording ever, but it is a very interesting listen.

Frippertronics
November 16th 2014

what a solid live album, rhythm section on this is absolutely flawless

WillDockery
July 20th 2015

One Bowie album from the 1970s I now remember I passed by constantly for whatever reason and to this day still have never listened to, although I actually loved both Diamond Dogs and Young Americans all those years ago. Quick poll, which is worse, this short time of transitional weirdness, or the Never Let Me Down 1980s... or are they similarly bad?

Frippertronics
July 20th 2015

The transition from Dogs to Americans isn't bad at all, but the material that came before and after those two albums surpass them greatly. The late 80s material after Monsters is a mixed bag. Tunes like Loving the Alien and Time Will Crawl proved that Bowie still had a knack at crafting excellent songs, but the weak material really outweighed the good. Let's Dance was Bowie at his best with his new sound.