VNV Nation
Futureperfect

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
August 30th, 2011 | 13 replies | 5,373 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: the time was set, the deal was done. VNV Nation had just begun.

Futurepop is a genre created by VNV Nation that mixes synthpop, EBM, and trance. As expected, the genres go extraordinarily well together, and especially in the capable hands of a veteran band. As the founders of futurepop, they have used their creative license to the full extent, creating a diverse, constantly shifting sound. In the middle of their career, they released Futureperfect, and surprise of surprises, their sound changed again. Futureperfect is a very different album in comparison to VNV Nation’s older albums. The album fundamentally showcases the band’s first steps onto the moon of their new sound, and surprisingly, they carry much weight. A midlife crisis is the exact opposite of what happened. Futureperfect holds some of the band’s best music and must not go missed.

At this point you’re wondering what the album actually sounds like. In response, I have one word for you: “trance”. That’s right, the band took futurepop’s trance influence to new heights, by unleashing a full force of frenzied synthesizers. Such glorious melodies originating from synths would ultimately create the VNV Nation that we know and love. However, they had not yet fully formed their ideas to fruition, and consequently, Futureperfect seems very random. You see, only half of the songs are taken over by trance elements – the rest are completely different. However, what originally seem like disjointed puzzle pieces, ultimately form a perfect picture.

When they aren’t using synths to excess, they’re creating songs like ‘Holding On’, ‘Carbon’, ‘Structure’, and ‘Airships’. Although VNV Nation are a futurepop band, they have quite a few tricks up their sleeves. From pure ambient songs to industrial aggression, this album has it all, and they employ their variation with care. This is a band that is not afraid to experiment, as ‘Holding On’ proves with its near ballad. Indeed, Futureperfect would have unsettled quite a few VNV Nation fans at the time of its release, but looking back at it, it reigns as one of their best albums. It seems random at first, but take the dive and you’ll find the swim to be quite refreshing.