Universum
Leto Destinatus

good

by no names awesome enough USER (6 Reviews)
August 28th, 2011 | 7 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A decent but unoriginal debut for universum

Universum is a Melodic Death Metal band from Adelaide, Australia. They released theyr debut album: Leto Destinatus in 2008, an album that many will surelly love, and many will also hate.

Leto Destinatus plays a modern Melodic Death Metal, also with use of keyboards, however it falls short on the ''originality'' department, having obvious influences from bands like: Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates and Disarmonia Mundi, the final product of Leto Destinatus will be an obvious: ''ive heard this before'' to any fan of the mentioned bands. The riffs have been used before, the keyboards dont add much, the vocals get very boring after a few tracks even with the addiction of clean vocals metalcore style. All in all, it seems the band was trying to combine diverse elements to create something original, but the album surelly doesnt sound original at all.

The guitar work done here however is preety good, theyr downtuned adding a darker tone to the album (that the keyboards didnt), with a few very well played good solos. The bad production however takes away a bit of the bands capacity, felt like the drums were cast aside from the whole album, and a big zero in the bass department.

The songwritting also falls in the ''This sounds familiar'' situation, while the overall can be enjoyable, none of the songs will stand out as great, let alone any of them being spectacular. It's not just Universum, but this lack of creativity seems to haunt the new Melodic Death Metal bands altogether due to obvious reasons.

A very mediocre album, not a bad one by any means, but many metalheads (specially the fans of the bands mentioned above) will probably hate this release. But im sure there will be many people who will enjoy this album as well. Even 'tho many of them will find themselves skipping most of the tracks after 1 or 2 listens

pros:
-Good guitar work
-Good solos
-Guest solo from Tomy (Mors Principium Est)

cons:
-Repetitive
-Unoriginal
-Vocals are boring
-No bass

Fading Waves The Sense of SpaceThe Mire Glass Cathedrals
Dolorian VoidwardsMore Than A Thousand Vol. I: Trailers Are Always More Exciting Than M
Before The Dawn The Ghost

August 28th 2011

first review, tryed to be quick since im not the long review fan. what u guys think?

Digging: Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST Vol 1

letsgofishing

so good at spelling

lol

August 28th 2011

sorry english is not my native language so i really have no idea of whats wrong :D

TheArkitecht
August 29th 2011

I prefer their second album, but I love Christian's voice so I'm a sucker for anything he appears on.

TheArkitecht
August 29th 2011

I wonder if this review will get as many butthurt fans as Mortuus Machina did. Shit was hilarious.

Willie
August 30th 2011

I pretty much agree with this. It's a good review, especially considering that English isn't your first language.

August 31st 2011