The Devil Wears Prada
Dead Throne

by YetAnotherBrick USER (28 Reviews)
August 26th, 2011 | 151 replies | 7,992 views

Review Summary: Improvement doesn't mean that much when you weren't that good to begin with. Oh, and this isn't really that big of an improvement, either.

The Devil Wears Prada have always been a band with bad habits, habits they’ve had a particularly difficult time getting rid of. Fans of the band, some old, some new, praised last year’s Zombie EP for supposedly eradicating these habits, habits like those awful, invasive keyboard passages, and those notoriously uninspired breakdowns. While the Zombie EP didn’t have anything as gimmicky or hilariously out of place as some aspects of the band’s previous work, it was still, to be frank, pretty boring. But however small, it was still a step in the right direction, and thus, left me wondering how big their next step was going to be.

With their latest offering, Dead Throne, The Devil Wears Prada has officially traded being frustratingly awful for being frustratingly average. Yes, it is technically an improvement, but hardly a significant one. Rather than awkwardly transitioning from dull breakdown to terrible synth passage and back again, the songs on Dead Throne consistently chug along through a neutral-colored haze of mediocrity, boasting their proficiency at being listenable, but never really that interesting.

Yes, the riffs are still disappointingly uncreative, and the breakdowns, though fortunately fewer in number, are just as mind-numbing as ever. But those aren’t the main contributors to the album’s monotony, the real problem lies in the album’s extreme lack of dynamics, a lack of dynamics created by all the uninspired riffing. There’s hardly a passage on the album that has any real power or emotion, because there’s no build-ups, climaxes, or calm-downs. What you see is what you get with Dead Throne; when you hear a riff at the beginning of a song, that’s as loud and powerful as it’s ever gonna get. The only song that actually layers different sounds, adding more and more until the song finally peaks, is “Chicago,” which, incidentally, is the best song on the album. It’s the only song on the album that actually makes me feel something, and the vocalist’s screams actually sound quite nice against the atmospheric guitar backdrop. The growls still sound a tad awkward though, which is another kink the band really needs to work out of their formula.

Another negative aspect of the album is the fact that virtually all its ambition, especially in terms of musicianship, lies in short, insignificant passages. Dead Throne only has quirky, nothing truly impressive. The trade-off between the guitar and bass near the end of “Untidaled” is cool, it’s too bad it only lasts a few seconds and really adds nothing to the song as a whole. Same with the dissonance in the ending breakdown of “Mammoth,” and the almost-actually-memorable intros to “Vengeance” and “My Questions.” All of the good parts end too soon, only to once again drown in a sea of chug.

The songs on Dead Throne aren’t bad, they’re just very, very dull. All the things the songs consist of are laid out for all to see at the very beginning, leaving no surprises, and no special treats at the end. This would be a tad more acceptable if the sounds the songs consisted of weren’t so generic, but unfortunately, save for a number of quirks (you could also call them teases), I practically feel like I’ve already heard these songs before. Dead Throne is indeed dead, an album with practically nothing to look forward to, and nothing to look back on, remembering fondly. But hey, it’s an improvement.

The Beatles Rubber SoulSerengeti Family and Friends
The Chinese Stars A Rare SensationThe National Trouble Will Find Me
The Story So Far Under Soil and DirtAesop Rock Labor Days

August 26th 2011

Tryin' to de-rail the hype train here

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Austroglide
August 26th 2011

Album is so boring. Plus Mike's highs are so unbearably annoying it ruins anything the song would have to offer. Pos'd.

foxblood
August 26th 2011

how many reviews do we need lol

August 26th 2011

Pretty much all metalcore albums suffer from that problem, but taken in small doses this is really good

Deviant.
August 26th 2011

Okay, let's have no more reviews for this today

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

August 26th 2011

two negs, and ya'll probably didn't even read it. lol

AfterTheBreakdown
August 26th 2011

4 reviews already! Holy shit.

AfterTheBreakdown

I pos'd.

August 26th 2011

Kansas is awesome, and I'd say it has a fair amount of power and emotion, but I can see your viewpoint, because the impact of these songs is lessened by their repetitiveness. Sadly making a br00tal album is pretty much a guarantee that things will get mired. Still, I don't see how this is any worse than, say, ABR or like TOCS-era underoath

rasputin

YetAnotherReview

Toadstool
August 26th 2011

I agree with Deviant. 4 is enough for a while lol.

And about the review.....I disagree with almost everything you've said. There are plenty of build-ups,
climaxes, and slow-downs. Mike is at his best here, his growls aren't really growls, they sound more
like an old man yelling at a low tone with high amount of emotion.

"Dead Throne is indeed dead"........so being dead is a 2.5?

none

shitty

August 26th 2011

It isn't any worse than either of those. I mean, I don't think you meant that directly at me, but...just sayin lol :P

And I found Kansas very, very contrived, to be honest. It just feels so...placed, so "oh, we have to do a song like this now for more variation."

August 26th 2011

Toadstool, I meant "dead" as in boring, dull, uninspired, lifeless, etc. Also, give me an example of a noticeable build-up on this album, besides Chicago.

August 26th 2011

Brb guys writing my first review for this

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

loveisamixtape
August 26th 2011

People who say this isn't any better than their past releases is fucking stupid.

Digging: Keep - Hypnosis for Sleep

August 26th 2011

Sigh, I can't say I'm surprised by the negs. Eeeeeeeeeverybody's fappin all over this for some reason.

none
August 26th 2011

ya it's slightly better and still shit

August 26th 2011

exactly. what did you think of the review, none?