Basement
I Wish I Could Stay Here

by Mary Paultese USER (35 Reviews)
August 14th, 2011 | 117 replies | 18,266 views

Review Summary: While not immediately gripping, Basement’s debut LP is a beautiful and aggressive addition to modern emo and punk.

It was announced one year ago that Basement would be joining the already impressive roster of Run for Cover Records, currently stacked with up-and-coming punk artists. This one year has been crucial for the band, as they released a two song EP (ingeniously titled Two Songs) that showcased a slight departure from their pop punk roots (see their first EP, Songs About the Weather), and a tendency toward a slower, more emo driven sound. The band went on multiple tours in their UK homeland this year, and then flew overseas for their first US tour with Daylight. A busy year indeed, and of course, they also released this gem of a debut record titled, I Wish I Could Stay Here, which proved the band was capable of much more than cranking out a few solid EPs.

The sound on I Wish I Could Stay Here is consistent with the tracks from the Two Songs EP. These two tracks, Plan to Be Surprised and Every Single Word (both rerecorded and included on this album) are hard-hitting and catchy, while also persistent and desperate sounding, and that can be said for the rest of the record as well. There are fast paced moments and slower, more controlled sections on the album, and Basement knows how to dynamically switch between the two. The first track, Fading is a perfect example of this, as it begins with an upbeat octave chord intro, then slows into the first verse, momentarily devoid of any guitar at all, as vocalist Andrew Fisher sings ”Rain falls hard, washes me away, I feel sick.” The use of effective changes in intensity and/or tempo throughout the album keeps it fresh throughout, and ensures that no two songs sound too alike. The fifth track, Earl Grey, begins as a beautiful and relaxed emo track, then explodes after a minute into the fastest punk song on the album, then again slows into a chugging, then bleeding guitar riff, over which Fisher yells ” You made the best impression: Perfection on the page. The wildest of hearts will never be tamed.” The variation Basement displays throughout this one track alone, obviously without straying from their original sound, is what sets them apart from other emo and punk contemporaries; no monotony here.

The lyrics on the album mainly deal with feelings of loneliness, worthlessness, and heartache, and while these topics have without a doubt been covered before, Fisher’s lyrics tend to stray from the path a bit and offer some new ideas. Though the lyrics may not appeal to everyone, they are undeniably heartfelt and personal, and they compliment Fisher’s vocal melodies well. Lyrically, Yoke is the stand out track on the album, and the lyrics are as follows:

Gasping for air, choking on my indecision. Hide me in my room and forget me. I'm sorry, if you want to know the truth. This is me against the world. Is my mother happy? Is my father proud? Hide me in my room, but forgive me.

For one to truly appreciate I Wish I Could Stay Here, he may need to listen to the album several times to fully understand it, but repeated listens will certainly help to reveal the special qualities that can be found on this album. Given the appropriate attention and listening time, Basement’s debut LP will absorb the listener and make them wish that there were more than just ten tracks.

Saves the Day Can't Slow DownHouse Boat 21st Century Breakroom
Joie de Vivre We're All Better Than ThisState Lines State Lines
Light Black Ex WivesDaytrader Twelve Years

August 14th 2011

I've been jamming this hard lately and figured I'd write a review since there wasn't one. Enjoy.

omg so much random bold
good review though perry maltese

this sounds like something I'd like, and i've definitely said that before about these guys yet still failed to check them out. someday, someday...

August 14th 2011

i like bolding tracks (and albums) so people know which songs to check out if they don't feel like
reading urrthang. and thanks man. i don't know how much you'll like this if you don't like title
fight...

August 14th 2011

In general, I've found I'm less keen on bands that go for that pop-punk/harcore mix (title fight, four year strong, close to home, etc.), but more keen on bands that mix the pop-punk/emo sound (Dowsing, Pentimento, Amber Pacific, etc.)

we'll see what happens though, whenever I do get around to checking this. Plus I just love EP's cause I've got a short attention span haha, so I'll start with their two songs one and work from there.

August 14th 2011

omg i know. EPs are so much easier to digest. i've listened to some hardcore full lengths easily 20+ times and still don't know most of the lyrics.

August 14th 2011

hah I feel you, looking at my iTunes now I've listened through New Junk Aesthetic by Every Time I Die 45-ish times and, although I could probably scream along to most of it, I still forget lyrics in parts haha

OneMoreRoland
August 14th 2011

Us, andcas, and a few others are going to make pop-punk accepted on sputnik. Fuck yeah. haha

soon people will be saying NEEDS MOAR WONDER YEARS

August 14th 2011

mine's exactly half as big as andcas's
heh heh. heh heh.

Yazz_Flute
August 14th 2011

That album cover is fucking with my head.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

August 14th 2011

woah bro I can keep it up just fine (until about 9 drinks in)

SeaAnemone

would i like this?

50/50 shot I'd say

Eskate87
August 14th 2011

nice review. i will def check these guys out.

Blackbelt54
August 14th 2011

I need to check this out

foxblood
August 14th 2011

this sounds pretty good. the album cover is great too

accompliceofmydeath
August 14th 2011

Cool review, I'd like to be part of the NEEDS MORE WONDER YEARS! group. DEFEND POP PUNK

@Eric: You might like this. It's not the pop punk breakdown crap you hate.

Digging: Crowbar - Crowbar

August 14th 2011

every once in a while while you guys are defending pop punk on a thread, I'll pop in and go "YEAH!", but that's all I can promise.

OneMoreRoland
August 14th 2011

Hahah this is actually awesome. The Sputnik Defend Pop punk group.