Wavves
King of the Beach

by Micah USER (2 Reviews)
August 13th, 2011 | 15 replies | 2,905 views

Review Summary: Great beach record to blast!

Wavves' third album released in August 2010 departs in sound from their previous releases.(their previous albums being very fuxxy and lo-fi) This can viewed in either a good or bad way, I think a good way.

The album kicks off with a solid drums in "King of the Beach", very catchy and fun song. .when listening to this album don't expect at all complex instrumentation or lyrics. Its not here. Instead expect some great short pop-punk songs. Okay, back to the songs. After, "King of the Beach" , "Super Soaker" rides in, a very similar sound to "Super Soaker", if you liked the the first song then you'll really like this one. In this song I sense more passion and anger in the vocals. "Idiot" comes in next, starting off with a rather odd laugh! Something about this song I just don't like, either the way too repetitive lyrics, and beat. Again, its similar too the last 2 songs, but the repetition of the word "***" is not very enjoyable. For now I'll skip the next song and come back to it later. Next is the shortest and best song on the album "Post Acid", the song I always use to introduce people to Wavves. Its just so catchy, the drums match in with the guitars at parts, and his vocals are very smooth. You'll definitely like this one.

Next song "Take on the World"....you start to realize this guy hates himself, and you'll see why. He sings about taking on the world and everyone hating him. I really think this is the most punk song on the whole album, he really sounds mad at everyone. "Green Eyes" is again about hating himself and chasing a girl with you guessed, green eyes! I'm not sure if Bethany Cosentino has green eyes, never looked into it. Besides the point, yeah Nathan says his friends hate him, not sure...he seems like a chill dude. This songs definitely more laidback. The one and only last punk/rock song "Linus Spacehead", I really feel I punk attitude to this song. It starts out with nice bass and has a really solid drum beat, I could do without the "ooohhhh" interlude, but what the heck, to bad. It makes the other verses that much better. The whole song ends in a mess of disortion and a really cool drum beat.

Now this is where I get on to the bass heavy chillwave drum machine pop songs, that I don't enjoy nearly as much. The first one is "When Will You Come", which actually is pretty cool and is a nice break from the rock songs. Nathan has really high-pitched vocals, almost like a little kid. Probably the better one out of the chillwave songs. The next two I can group together "Baseball Cards" and "Mickey Mouse", both rather irritating songs, Nathan's vocals are just ughh. Lastly is "Convertible Balloon", a nice little happy pop song about driving a convertible balloon! Oh, and I forgot the last song "Baby Say Goodbye", relaly the crossover between the rock/punk songs and the chillwave songs. This album could've used more crossover songs like this tune. Its really great and all until he repeats the same line for over a minute, you'll see what I'm talking about.

So any fan of indie rock, chillwave, pop-punk...any of these genres will enjoy this. If you can just ignore the repetitiveness of some lyrics and the pop songs then you're in for a ride of fun skate punk songs telling stories of hate, bad acid trips, and chilling on the beach!

August 13th 2011

My man!!! So stoked someone reviewed this, though I'm not as much a fan of this one as I am of previous releases.

As for the review though, it definitely needs some work. My advice to you is to read lots and lots of the staff and/or featured reviews at the top of the page and just get an idea how they write, what sorts of things they talk about, and just the general stance of the reviews. I'm sure you'll catch on eventually :] happy 1st!

August 13th 2011

I know nobody that likes this

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

Drsmith4

Recommended:

Japandroids - Post-Nothing

?

August 13th 2011

idk they've both sorta got that "stay young, carpe diem" feel to them.
and that's also a semi lo fi sounding record so I can see the rec working here

OrangeHologram
August 13th 2011

Yeah, review needs a lot of work.

August 13th 2011

The conclusion generalizes a little too much as i'm a fan of indie and pop-punk and not a fan of this

pmmets07
August 13th 2011

the review written for this that gives it a 4.5 is the best fucking review/analysis of the album ever. read that one.

this review is meh

conradtao

2088 Comments

lol this album

August 14th 2011

jeez clean up your grammar before you post a second review

your writing isn't terrible all the time though, so maybe things aren't hopeless

August 14th 2011

It wasn't THAT bad, it was just pretty messy and glossed over basically everything

gaslightanthem

fucking great album

August 14th 2011

"Next song "Take on the World"....you start to realize this guy hates himself, and you'll see why. He sings about taking on the world and everyone hating him. I really think this is the most punk song on the whole album, he really sounds mad at everyone."

Drsmith4
August 15th 2011

There is nothing punk about this whiny bitch.

He writes passably standard indie-surf ditties.

August 15th 2011

i'll give him 15-20% punk cred.

I'll give him 5%