Catamenia
Eternal Winter's Prophecy

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
August 13th, 2011 | 37 replies | 5,347 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: tasty cheese is tasty.

Back in the day, when an album was called cheesy, it was seen as a compliment of sorts. Of course, some albums would exceed the level of cheese, but more often than not, cheesy music meant epic music. Eternal Winter’s Prophecy is undeniably cheesy, but this also makes it epic. You know the albums that make you want to don your Viking attire, grab your battle axe, and lay waste to a random village? This is that kind of album. Eternal Winter’s Prophecy may have nothing to do with Vikings, but there are some things that are so epic, they unleash the ancient man beast within. Rise, my brethren, and onward we shall set our sails into the bleeding sky.

To listen to this album is to realize its bombastic qualities. It’s melodic black metal with piercing shrieks, awesome riffs, and the like. What really sets the album overboard with bombast, however, is the melodic goodness. The guitar firstly provides the thrashing, but it also creates catchy, memorable tunes when combined with the keyboard. Although the keyboard instantly makes the album much cheesier, that is the curse of melodic black metal, and it is completely unavoidable. However, what it lacks in subtlety, it gains in a flawless performance. The melodies are so vivid and, well, melodic, that one can easily picture singing accompanying the songs. This is how melodic black metal is done when done properly.

One has to really scratch their head to come up with any negative aspects to this album, but even then, none are found. Eternal Winter’s Prophecy features melodic black metal that is more effortless than flipping a switch. If anyone was to complain about this album, their complaints would bounce off as merit-less. Any complaints about this album would originate from a person’s personal musical preference, and it is quite impossible to blame the album. I wouldn’t say that it’s up there with the best, but it certainly rocks hard. Check it out.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

pizzamachine
August 13th 2011

Good morning Sputnik! :] Time to have a shower.

DarkNoctus
August 13th 2011

good morning! :] i just had me a shower and then a bath, it was relaxing and cleansing :]

review's pretty good, short and to the point, which is what i imagine the album is like so i guess it works. in any case, you've included just about everything. nice!

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

iFghtffyrdmns
August 13th 2011

"You know the albums that make you want to don your Viking attire, grab your battle axe, and lay waste to a random village?"

I better not listen, I can't afford to go back to the big house again.

Nice review pizza, concise yet detailed and clear, as always :]

TheSpirit
August 13th 2011

Not really a fan of this band or "is melodic black metal" in general but pretty good review dude. I enjoy the brevity, it makes them very reader friendly.

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

Tyrael

20416 Comments

tasty pizza is tasty

pos

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

DarkNoctus
August 13th 2011

now i want pizza, darn it :[

iFghtffyrdmns
August 13th 2011

seriously dude I'm starving.
but if I leave my current position that means I can no longer listen to Big Kids, nor can I post on Sputnik.
dilemma dilemma

Irving
August 13th 2011

Dude do you do nothing but pump out reviews all day?

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

Irving

Jealous, much.

pizzamachine

Thanks everyone :DDDD

Don't worry Irving, I do other things too! ;)

Metalstyles
August 13th 2011

Holy crap pizza you're up to 134 already!? Damn man, you must be experiencing a boring summer :D.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

August 13th 2011

Morning Crimson is an infinitely better record than this but this still gets my cheesy keyboard side all wet.

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

lol hyper is gay

August 13th 2011

Cafeful i'm already all moist.

August 13th 2011

yeah like the one time i almost listened to it i got the biggest rager hey hyper i lost my phone help me find it

Hawks
August 13th 2011

Good review man. I haven't listened to this band in ages.

August 13th 2011

Bootz probably took it cause she hates you.

haha she probably did man THAR FUCKIN BOOTZ

August 13th 2011

shut up hawks you are gayer than me

August 13th 2011

Probably hiding it in her rectum you're gonna have to go in there and get it.