Greeley Estates
The Death of Greeley Estates

by DropdeadWHA USER (35 Reviews)
August 12th, 2011 | 123 replies | 10,195 views

Review Summary: The Death Of Greeley Estates shows that there must be an afterlife.

Greeley Estates are a band that are overshadowed by their lesser talented peers, fading away slowly, which is a shame. Greeley Estates are a metalcore band with a difference, they play emotional music without the over-abundance of breakdowns; evolving every album, embracing new sounds and experimenting outside their comfort zone. What the metalcore genre lacks is a sense of freshness, there are so many bands it’s hard to differentiate one from the other; at first you could tell the bands apart due to their vocal range, then due to their instrumental capability and then came the synths. With every change or extension to this dead-beat genre came an overwhelming amount of bands which still are prevalent today. Amongst the masses lays Greeley estates, who present their fifth album: The Death Of Greeley Estates, which is a breath-taking emotional journey becoming their best-work yet.

Vocally, Greeley has always been known due to Ryan’s signature howls, screeches and recently his more aggressive approach with effortless growls/gutturals (due to No Rain, No Rainbow). Not only can he scream extremely well but he can sing. He possesses a strong set of lungs, allowing him to reach highs that are melodic, eerie and more importantly, passionate. His screams are diverse and unique; they’re symmetrical to the tone of his singing, also embodying a similar power. His singing is also great. Although it isn’t for everyone, some may find him ‘whiny’, especially within his higher octave. With that being said, Ryan is by far one of the most versatile, brilliant vocalists in the scene to date putting many others to shame.

Musically, TDOGE is experimental and well-structured, showing that you don’t need to rely on breakdowns to capture an audience. There are instances on the record that are fast-paced containing thrash-esque riffs to more slow paced, mellow melodies. The guitars sound raw but polished emphasised to get your attention and to maintain that grip. The drumming is just as strong, it’s fast-paced, heavy hitting and relentless representing the heavy, at times chaotic nature of TDOGE. Here and there Greeley dabble with electronics to enhance the atmosphere of individual songs and the overall album (the interludes portray a sense of brokenness, a delicate yet welcoming feeling). The electronics generally sit in the background of the music, only coming forward at climatic moments releasing that extra bit of quality to the music. Not only are Greeley known for being more than competent instrumentally, they’re also known for their catchy, sharp song-writing. TDOGE is a dark record and the lyrics are written well, from a tale of domestic violence to losing and questioning faith in God. There are positive undertones in some songs, this album is by no means macabre but it definitely carries an emotional weight with it which animates the music more.
The Death Of Greeley Estates' sound is a combination of Go West…, No Rain and Far from The Lies creating a well-crafted album. At its foundation the record is heavy, persevering for the entire adventure, despite this there are moments of relief; whether it is an electronic injection splashed with altered vocals to soft, haunting harmonies with frenzied instruments.

The fact of the matter is The Death Of Greeley Estates offers something for everyone and it doesn’t disappoint. Greeley Estates have released an album that surpasses their peers and themselves, from beautiful vocals to bone-crushing guitar work; this album encompasses everything a band should be, a group of individuals who wish to evolve and to do so with finesse and diligence. Greeley have acknowledged their roots crafting a piece of art. There are a few hit and misses here and there mainly minor, such as the run-time is a bit too long and not everyone will enjoy all fifteen tracks. Yet for me, The Death Of Greeley Estates is a journey of emotion and musical excellence.

Iggy Azalea The New ClassicM.I.A. Matangi
Jex Thoth Blood Moon RiseHowl Bloodlines
Wolvhammer The Obsidian PlainsWoodkid The Golden Age
3.2
good
Taylor Laduron (3)
Greeley Estates truly comes "back to life" in their newest release....

DropdeadWHA
August 12th 2011

This rating may seem too high for most of you but I really enjoyed this record and I've loved Greeley since their pop/punk days. It's 4.5, purely because of how much I enjoyed this record and how good I think it is. I understand this won't be everyone's cup of tea, it's worth a listen though. Only complaints for me are the ones that are mentioned. Thanks.

August 12th 2011

Didn't know they had a new one coming out. Go West was pretty good.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

pmmets07
August 12th 2011

"It's 4.5, purely because of how much I enjoyed this record and how good I think it is."

That would make sense.

August 12th 2011

This is actually their final album, just saw them on the NJ leg of their farewell/album release show. Good stuff here, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

August 12th 2011

No, Ryan explained that the band wasn't breaking up. It was in this interview with heartcore, I think?

August 12th 2011

Oh man, well now I'm confused. I talked to a few of the guys after the show, and they said this was pretty much the end. Not too sure, guess everybody's confused here.

August 12th 2011

Anyway, he explained that whenever they record an album they like to have this mindset that that particular album could be their last. The album title is a reference to that.

August 12th 2011

Oh alright. Thanks for clearing it up, dude.

August 12th 2011

Np. It would suck if these guys actually did break up though, they're one of the best bands in that scene.

twlichty
August 12th 2011

"Greeley Estates are a band that are overshadowed by their lesser talented peers"

except greely estates have always kinda sucked

iFghtffyrdmns
August 12th 2011

I bought their EP when it first came out and I like it, I just never followed the band cause I sort of shied away from that scene.

chesse13
August 12th 2011

how does this compare to no rain no rainbow?

Digging: Slint - Tweez

RosaParks

terrible album

chesse13

sorry for your loss

DinoX
August 12th 2011

I'm calling bull on this review this album greatly abuses breakdowns.

RosaParks
August 12th 2011

yea it's really bad. Not a 1 but Nerf shoutboxed me for giving it an honest 2 so I lowered it to a 1 because hes a cunt

Nerf
August 13th 2011

I would pos this, but there are quite a few grammatical errors that should be fixed.

Please ignore RosaParks. This neanderthal has had nothing better to do than hate on this band for days. Yes, we know you don't like them. No one cares. Get over it.

@DinoX Listen to this album. There are maybe two breakdowns. NR, NR had a lot of breakdowns because it was supposed to sound angry and vengeful.

@Anyone who thinks the band is breaking up due to the album name. Greeley has stated that: A) They go into every album with the ideology that it may be their last, and B) The album name was a marketing scheme.

Satellite

20728 Comments

they're sort of an awful band though js

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul

FourthReich
August 13th 2011

@Nerf, this album is truly not worth the time you are taking to back it up. It seems like you are bringing rubber darts to a gun fight. Ha, but really I liked this?

Nerf
August 13th 2011

@FourthReich That's your opinion, and I have no idea how that analogy is even remotely relevant.