Eyes Set To Kill
White Lotus

good

by Blindsided USER (64 Reviews)
August 12th, 2011 | 50 replies | 10,583 views

Review Summary: The sexy Rodriguez twins try to pull a fast one on us.

In the past year or so Eyes Set To Kill has made some frequent lineup changes. First their long time male vocalist Brandon Anderson left, only to be replaced very shortly for a year by Justin Denson. After that another vocalist was brought on board, only to have his vocals featured briefly on their new album. If White Lotus is looked at from a quality standpoint, it could stand on its own merit, because it’s well crafted. The songs, while sometimes lacking the heavier instrumentation they previously had, are still catchy and flow really well. Still the album itself doesn’t make sense. While we have 10 tracks here, two of them are covers, ones an acoustic version and one happens to be a minute and a half long filler track. If my math is correct that leaves six songs left. Not only does White Lotus clock in at ESTK’s shortest album, but it also seems like these could have been b-sides from previous albums that would’ve been better fit on an EP.

The composition of White Lotus is literally almost half post hardcore and half acoustic. Seemingly it might have been the absence of Brandon Anderson that made for so much influence from the twins, but the acoustic songs aren’t any less enjoyable because of that. The Rodriguez twins seem to have developed as singers, meaning their voices aren’t as pitchy and annoying as in times past. The first half of the album is filled most with the typical ESTK sound, with “The Secrets Between” showcasing chugging metalcore riffs, Cisko’s growls mixed with Alexia and Anissa’s sugary pop vocals. Cisko’s work on this album is sparse, but on “Erasing Everything” he’s able to give a sample of his worth. The rest of the songs on the album are entirely dominated by the sisters. “Stuck Underneath” and “Untitled” are two of the songs sung only by the girls, and it shows that they’ve lost the pitch and annoyance that sometimes made past ESTK albums painful to sit through. In addition to the lack of original content we have two cover songs, “Polly” by Nirvana and “Doll Parts” by Hole; apparently these girls must’ve been grunge fans. “Polly” is a decent representation, while “Doll Parts” has its own scream induced ending courtesy of Alexia.

In the big picture there is no problem with White Lotus aside from the fact that the songs here would’ve been more suited for a b-sides style EP or album. The songs are short, a lot of them are acoustic cuts and there is a serious lack of screaming and growling. However what the album lacks in traditional elements it gains in charm and the respect for the twins developing talents. It’s a short, concise and fun listen for those who have been fans of the band in the past. Those who aren’t fans should be sure to check this out because while it’s easily their most removed from the genre, it’s almost their most accessible.

Love American / Harbours SplitPrawn You Can Just Leave It All
Old Gray DemoThe Lonely Forest Arrows
Sublime with Rome Yours TrulyMischief Brew The Stone Operation
good

August 12th 2011

Originally posted at: http://www.beholdermedia.com/2011/eyes-set-to-kill-white-lotus/

iFghtffyrdmns
August 12th 2011

i'm not really familiar at all with this band and I thought the summary was supposed to be ironic or something... then I googled them and holy shit they're actually kinda sexy. at least both 7's which is pretty good for a band and all.

I didn't read your review though sorry.
Actually no I won't lie, I'm not that sorry.

Great review bro.

Anywho....thanks pizza.

August 12th 2011

I really liked TWO, and BF was alright (I liked their harder, Brandon Anderson feel); might check this out.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

foreverendeared
August 12th 2011

Great review. Where's Balls?

August 12th 2011

I'm a sucker for this stuff.

August 12th 2011

"The Secrets Between" really is a return to form so to speak, I might be getting this now!

IAmKickass

Fantastic review.

They are a solid 5 on the hotness scale

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

Spec

This ain't too shabby.

August 12th 2011

Too many acoustic songs, the heavy songs are amazing.

Spec
August 12th 2011

Your avatar is making me hungry. Got the munchies ya know?

Tyrael

20394 Comments

When I read your reviews I realise how average mine actually are. Good work man. Pos.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

August 12th 2011

I thought the acoustic ones were kinda endearing.

August 12th 2011

"Where I Want To Be" is an early favorite so far.

chesse13
August 12th 2011

i liked their last but im not really interested in this.. kinda lost interest in them

August 13th 2011

Once pizza put up his score I knew mine would be the same.

In2ThePit
August 13th 2011

Um, this IS supposed to be an EP. OR at least, that's what they were calling it. But all of a sudden, White Lotus is an album. Fucks.

August 13th 2011

Been spinning this all day, it's really endearing.