Dream On, Dreamer
Heartbound

by BroManCaptainGuySirDylan USER (19 Reviews)
August 12th, 2011 | 22 replies | 14,855 views

Review Summary: As far as the genre goes, you could do a lot worse than 'Heartbound'.

Not much more than a year ago, I criticized Dream On, Dreamer’s EP 'Hope' for being generic, and sounding too similar to the competition, despite being a fun overall listen. I went on to say that they could go on to do great things, provided they find a sound more their own. Fast forward to present day in which they have released their debut album 'Heartbound' and you can see their change as a band. But by adding too much, have they distanced themselves even further?

A rundown of Dream On, Dreamer's sound can be described as heavy vocals, cleanly sung choruses, chugging guitars and added synth. They’ve utilized each member more this time around, Michael McLeod gaining more spotlight with his clean vocals and Daniel Jungwirth on keys emphasizing his role by adding synth passages and in some cases, Dubstep inspired breakdowns. An example of this is best found on leading single 'Downfall' which is essentially 4 minutes of metalcore mush. It’s not a bad song, in fact it’s quite catchy, but it tries to be more than it can. The intro sounds more like Emmure than anything and the clean vocals arrive out of nowhere, all the while a drastic overuse of synth is scattered around aimlessly, resulting in a jumbled up breakdown fest. It’s definitely a fun listen, but from a critical viewpoint it’s a horrible mess of a song.

Luckily, the album holds its redeeming tracks. The short introduction of 'I' leads into the fantastic 'Yourself As Someone Else', which played together, create a monster of an opener, showcasing the bands overall talents and song writing abilities. 'A Path of Its Own' doesn’t necessarily do anything out of the ordinary, but it does it well and doesn’t overstay its welcome. Finally, the last two tracks of 'Come Home True Love' and 'Lifestream' end the album on a positive note, respectively.

That leaves the remainder of tracks up for personal outlook. I found most of them to be enjoyable while they lasted, but not very memorable overall. This seems the main problem of most bands in the genre, as they can all play their instruments well (Dream On, Dreamer being no exception) but occasionally fall into the pitfall of not being able to create attention grabbing music.

Considering what I said earlier, it’s kind of ironic that they’ve managed to find their own unique sound, and yet their progress as musicians is very minor. However, in a genre becoming increasingly popular and flooded with artists hoping to be the next big thing, Dream On, Dreamer are doing things their way; some of it right, some of it wrong, but at least we know they’re having fun doing it. As far as the genre goes, you could do a lot worse than 'Heartbound'.

MGMT MGMTCode Orange Kids Love Is Love // Return To Dust
The Amity Affliction Chasing GhostsThe Faceless Autotheism
Will Haven Voir DirePsycroptic The Inherited Repression
3.3
cameron432 (5)
Originality in post-hardcore? Huh, what a concept....

Hope
recommended by reviewer
House Vs. Hurricane Perspectives
Dream On Dreamer Hope

August 12th 2011

Thought I'd have my say about the album. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

August 12th 2011

I'd say it can be pretty hit or miss, depending on the listener. Maybe check out one of the tracks I suggested.

IfYouRun
August 12th 2011

Seeing these guys on the UK leg of the Rise tour with Memphis May Fire, will have to check them out

August 12th 2011

I really don't think they've found their own unique sound, this sounds exactly like 90% of bands in their genre. It's ashamed, the 'Hope EP' was fantastic.

charlie15
August 12th 2011

I like this more than hope. In saying that though this took me longer to really appreciate.

August 12th 2011

I'm on about my fifth full listen and still bouncing between a 2.5 and 3, leaning more towards average though.

August 12th 2011

I felt that way originally, Kickass, but it took me a while to get into Hope originally, which I gave a 3.

foxblood
August 12th 2011

hey, a review with a reasonable score. thank you

August 13th 2011

You're welcome, fox.

Amstel
August 13th 2011

Album of the year for me!

bornmanh
August 14th 2011

Yourself as someone else slays! I'd say the lead single is probably the weakest song here. Fun listen

TechieCore
August 15th 2011

Pretty generic metalcore if you ask me, as is every other band on Rise's roster.

Elitist's Caves EP or I The Breather's These Are My Sins own this album.

CrimsonLies
August 29th 2011

Great review and I agree with you on a lot of things although I ended up buying the album.

Not overly original but there's potential.

Digging: Craw - Bodies for Strontium 90

HaloDude442
September 10th 2011

If you like metalcore, especially within the "scene", this is pretty awesome. It actually is growing on me, as it gets more enjoyable the more i listen

Shuyin
September 13th 2011

dunno for originality, but their breakdowns with a taste of dubstep were actually preety cool

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

Shuyin
September 13th 2011

album does get a bit boring after 4 or 5 songs

sspedding
October 13th 2011

these guys sound like a better version of House Vs. Hurricane

November 24th 2011

^ Now that I think of it, they do.

LoganM
December 13th 2011

Heartbound was such a huge letdown for me because of how much I liked the Hope EP. They just sound so bland and unoriginal now. I thought your review was well written though.

Vakarian12
December 14th 2012

Its a good album, but 'Blinded' 'Come Home True Love' and 'Lifestream' are the only songs I can come back to and enjoy the hell out of.