Entombed
Wolverine Blues

by BigHans USER (108 Reviews)
August 11th, 2011 | 75 replies | 13,469 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Death N' GodDamn Roll

Here’s the really short story about “Wolverine Blues:” it’s one of the beastliest, manliest, most Goddamn badass metal albums ever. That should be sufficient enough to technically end this discussion right now and if you own a set of testicles go immediately download this album and experience what death metal sounds like when it isn’t tied down by pointless technicality/wankery, pants-sh*ttingly horrendous un-intelligible vocals, and the “omg we are trying really f*cking hard to look like Satanists TASTE OUR CRED” retarded imagery you see all over the genre. “Wolverine Blues” is about barbarous riffs, the kind that sound like the guitar player just savagely raped a brachiosaurus. It’s about ferocious vocals, as in “I just cannibalized a f*cking lumberjack” fierce. They’re relentless and roaring, and most importantly, they’re comprehensible. They allowed me to determine that singer Lars Gorath-Petrov says not only that he’ll suck your blood but that he’ll also f*ck it in the mighty “Blood Song,” in traditional death metal I would have to just assume he was screaming HAIL SATAN I JUST CUT MYSELF in some incomprehensible guttural roar.

Maybe this is pointless, because a lot of DM dudes will tell you Entombed sold out here and “Wolverine Blues” isn’t real Death Metal but Death N Roll, a term that needs no further explanation unless you like to uncontrollably bang pots and lick earmuffs while suffering from an advanced case of Downs. The concept of “selling out” is abundant in metal, sometimes the claims have merit (Metallica), sometimes they’re just rock-f*ck stupid (Entombed). “Wolverine Blues” has verses and choruses. It has vocals you can sing along to but will still put off anybody that isn’t at a least a 200 level in metal education. Every song is the soundtrack to a cutthroat Ape uprising. The last word of the album is a beastly roared “F*CK.” In short, it’s just Goddamn impressive. The bottom line is I really don’t give a sh*t if “Wolverine Blues” is as “tenants of the genre satisfying” br00tal as their debut, whatever Entombed is selling us here, regardless of the simply NEFARIOUS motivation to sell more records, I’m buying.

The Hold Steady Teeth DreamsPaw Dragline
Drive-by Truckers English OceansRanger Knights of Darkness
Grim Reaper Rock You To HellMachine Head Machine Fucking Head Live

August 11th 2011

worst review I ever wrote? Probably.

accompliceofmydeath
August 11th 2011

This didn't have a review? Album rules.

August 11th 2011

Yeah just discovered it yesterday via an Inveigh rec and was quite surprised it hadn't been reviewed yet.

SeaAnemone

19732 Comments

I'm confused.

I was under the impression that this was this album's main audience already.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

now now Sea

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Dude Hans you should totally try Black 'N Roll m/

review is not bad

August 11th 2011

Black N Roll? Does that exist? And yeah, wasn't going for a good review here, just wanted to get a point across/rant.

Voivod

This didn't have a review? [2]

Oddly enough, i don't have not one Entombed record.

Shame on me.

I've seen them live though (now i have washed my sin for good :P)

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

Tyrael

20740 Comments

Black N Roll? Does that exist?

August 11th 2011

Alright Tyrael I'll jam it now.

Inveigh
August 11th 2011

can't believe this didn't have a review yet

nice work Hans, I think you said everything that needs to be said about this album. fucking metal, man.

Uprising is really good too.

August 11th 2011

sea you are out of your element back to the indie pop threads plz

cool album but LEFT HAND FUCKIN PATH m////////////////////

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

August 11th 2011

Ill admit the title track from Left Hand Path rapes but I just much prefer this style.

FrankRedHot
August 11th 2011

Album and review are ace.

M/ Pit

MO

posd

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

August 11th 2011

m/ Opeth. You ever heard this?

AngelofDeath
August 11th 2011

Yeah, this album's solid but doesn't quite touch their true death metal stuff. Can't do black n' roll without F.O.A.D.

August 11th 2011

Didn't see FOAD in the database Angel.

MO
August 11th 2011

Yep yep, first 3 Entombed albums rule hard.