Dead Letter Circus
This Is The Warning

by SatelliteYears USER (11 Reviews)
August 10th, 2011 | 19 replies

Review Summary: Spectacular alternative rock from Down Under.

Recent Sumerian signee Dead Letter Circus has really turned heads with the album "This Is the Warning". A spectacular, melodic blend of progressive and alternative rock, blended with the electronic influences of Massive Attack and Nine Inch Nails, Dead Letter Circus has really started to break out in the United States, buoyed by their recent tour with Evan Brewer.

Within the first 30 seconds of "Here We Divide", I had a strong feeling that this album was going to be full of audio layers and textures. I was proven right; there is a strong undercurrent of melody underneath the alternative rock surface. In fact, I'd say it reminds me a bit of Morning View-era Incubus, and Deftones, as well. Being compared with either of those bands is a positive trait, to be sure.

Single "Cage" has a wicked mix of dance and metal that breathes a fresh gust of air into the Australian music scene, and is one of the stronger songs on the album, while "Big" manages to channel the best parts of U2 and Angels and Airwaves, with guitar delay, electronic, and orchestral elements, and some rather impressive lyricisms, midway through the song:

"You and I are the same thing
Simple yet we complicate the design
It's working but I just feel there's a faster way to arrive."

"Reaction" manages to bridge the gap between alternative and progressive rock with a simple "verse chorus verse" structure, while Kim Benzie delivers an amazing vocal performance (as is typical throughout the album). The rest of the instruments are just as solid, with some rather good instrumental parts throughout the album, as well as a loud, thumping bass part on "The Drum" which clocks in at just over 6 minutes, and there is some seriously skilled guitar work midway through this song. It's a must-listen.

There are no weak tracks here, and there's a number of impressive, "what did they just do?" highlights, especially on "Here We Divide" and "Cage".

Austrailian rock fans are already eating this band up, and they're really turning heads in the States.
"This Is The Warning" has really surprised me, because beyond Karnivool, there's not very many Aussie rock bands doing big things. But make no mistake. "This Is the Warning" is epic, on a grand scale. Emotional, melodious, frenetic...Dead Letter Circus may have serious trouble outdoing this album. It's worthy of the hype.

Songs to check out: Here We Divide, Cage, Big, The Drum, One Step.

Of Mice and Men The FloodSaosin Translating the Name
Falling Up Your Sparkling Death ComethFuneral for a Friend Welcome Home Armageddon
This Is Hell MisfortunesScale the Summit The Collective
Synthestration (3.5)
Rocky, proggy and unashamedly catchy - but too much of the same thing holds This is the Warning back...

sularetal (4.5)
PuntuaciĆ³n: 9/10 Lo mejor: El sonido tan fresco que tienen, las ganas de innovar y experimentar, e...

Billy (4.5)
In 'This is the Warning,' Dead Letter Circus have released one of the most exciting debut albums to ...

fromtheinside
August 10th 2011

you had one complete paragraph man. try combining some of your thoughts or, or, expanding upon them. not terrible but you've got some ways to go. biggest thing is beefing up your thoughts and really dive into what you think

Digging: Tragedy - Vengeance

August 10th 2011

I literally just started listening to this band today. It's a bit hard to describe music I am not familiar with, but this album is just...spectacular. :D

appreciate the feedback. :D

August 10th 2011

Awesome album, Gets plenty of repeats. One Step should get a spot on the 'songs to check' - just my 2 cents.

iFghtffyrdmns
August 10th 2011

"I literally just started listening to this band today. It's a bit hard to describe music I am not familiar with"

in general, I'd suggest giving the album a day or two and around ten listens to sink in before reviewing, but that's really your call. that's just usually how I do it.

The review isn't horrible, it just lacks a certain cohesiveness more than anything. Anyway, these guys sound interesting.

August 10th 2011

Gonna hop on the Australian tour for these guys, it would be interesting to see how they go live.

August 10th 2011

That's another thing that I wanted to touch on: they didn't tour in Florida, so I had no chance to see them. But DLC is very electronic and vocal heavy, and I'd wonder how well it translates to the stage. The vocals are astounding here.

August 10th 2011

From what i have been told is that they do everything pretty well, i'd just like to see so myself.

AtavanHalen
August 10th 2011

Very messy review, needs a lot of work.

Great record, though - seeing them for the sixth time next Friday in Sydney.

UnstableConnection1
August 10th 2011

amazing band, amazing album and their amazing live. if you get the chance check them out

themetalpig
August 10th 2011

I'm from Australia and have seen them live...they are amazing as most Aussie rock acts are. Others to check out would be Karnivool obviously, but also Cog, The Butterfly Effect and Chaos Divine.

PistolPete
August 10th 2011

Wow, I must've missed something cuz "The Design" is my favorite song from them period and this guy says skip it? These guys are really good though.

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Vooligan
August 10th 2011

The Design rules. Review is indeed messy, but you can fix that up by expanding on what you've already got and make it a bit more cohesive. Reads more like the notes you've written before writing the review as opposed to an actual review.

Can't wait to see them again in a couple of weeks, will be the 9th or 10th time i think. They do indeed pull the songs off live, i dont think i've seen them play a bad set.

Sounds as though the US tour went really well, too. They're heading back over there pretty soon after the No Fracking Way tour.

August 10th 2011

I'll probably edit it a bit upon further listens...like maybe tonight. And since a few of you love The Design so much, I'll listen to it a few more times, to be sure. :D

PistolPete
August 10th 2011

The amount of times Billy gets to see these Australian bands (Karnivool, Dead letter, Birds of Tokyo, etc) a year makes me sad. As soon as I get money, I'm moving to Australia permanently.

yup yup yup lol

Firestarter
August 10th 2011

Thought their E.P. had more balls but the album is still fantastic albeit a bit samey after repeated listens

Phideaux
August 10th 2011

Album is awesome. Review needs work as was already stated. But you'll get better in time I'm sure.

Also, the Design rules.

Carnifex

1918 Comments

I really really loved this album on my first two listens, haven't listened since though.

FearThyEvil
August 10th 2011

I love this album it was one of my favorites released last year.

peartnoy
August 26th 2011

I like how you favorite songs and mine are the same.