Assemblage 23
Meta

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
August 8th, 2011 | 41 replies | 5,134 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: an example of what futurepop should sound like.

It is impossible to describe in words just how amazing this album is, but I will certainly try. You see, futurepop is a genre that tends to repeat itself often; attempting to conjure up descriptive words of something that has been done a billion times before would be like attempting to tell a caveman how to brush his teeth. Sometimes it’s just best to say that it’s an amazing album and leave it at that, but then how persuasive would that be? So it is my duty to make the album sound so good that you will be convinced you like this before you even listen to it. That’s the power of words my friends.

Although this is your typical futurepop album, it’s anything but typical. The first noteworthy aspect is song lengths, which are around five minutes and thirty seconds – surprisingly long. A typical futurepop act wouldn’t be able to do much justice to such long songs, but Tom Shear is a veteran artist. Tom Shear finds ways to keep the listener captivated the entire time despite lengthy songs, and that is no small feat. However, the main reason why the album is so good seems to lie with the execution of synthesizers. The soundscape is always full, with both mechanical and organic sounding synths, promoting an intriguing listen. It is undoubtedly a cold place, yet the atmosphere is so alive – it immerses the listener in something that’s wholly palpable, as if you can stretch out your arm and touch it.

Whereas many futurepop artists rely on choruses as a crutch, Assemblage 23 is reliant on ingenuity. The atmosphere Tom Shear creates is often so engrossing that choruses are hardly necessary. Of course, songs are not without their sing-along choruses, but the variation in songs is enough that each song is something special. This is what happens when a musician actually takes the time to insert decent song writing into songs. Songs are distinct due to their song writing, and that is how it should be.

Music like this has been done before, but not often this good. The main difference between this album and other futurepop albums is that Meta sounds like it was actually made by a human. Synthesizers have too often been used to sound cool, completely ignoring any emotions they could help foster. Meta is precise, yes, it’s perfectly executed, yes, but it’s also real. Artists like Seabound prove to us that it is possible to execute everything perfectly, and yet completely miss the purpose of making music. The audience needs something to hold onto, something they can relate with. Meta will not win awards for newness, but it will surely captivate with its dedication to musical excellence.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

August 8th 2011

I've been wanting to review this for a while. Feedback?

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Great review Pizza! Always looking forward to seeing your name pop up on the front page :]

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

August 8th 2011

Hahaha I just posted it, how did you read it so fast? You're the best Ty!

OH FUCK YES

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

ZombicidalMan
August 8th 2011

Wow, this sounds really interesting. I'll definitely have to listen.

RosaParks

futurepop

August 8th 2011

@ bloc: I figured I would review something you like for a change. ;)

@ zombie: Hope you like.

Futurepop is a thing!

August 8th 2011

Trying to get in bloc's good graces I see.

ZombicidalMan

Listened to one song and I'm hooked =P

My friend got me into bands like Futurecop! and Top Less Gay Love Tekno Party, and this is... way better.

He already is HEH HEH HEH SUCKER

August 8th 2011

Me and BLOC are like peas in a pod.

August 8th 2011

@bloc: not everyone can review to please you.

August 8th 2011

Joe, you just aren't trying ;)

August 8th 2011

You beat me to reviewing this!!!!

My favorite release by Mr. Shear, but also the only one I have too.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

August 8th 2011

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA you snooze you lose!

August 8th 2011

Yeah it is my fault, just been lazy recently. Every track on the album is great, I'd love to see the band live.

August 8th 2011

Oh man seeing an Assemblage 23 concert would be amazing.

August 8th 2011

My friend saw them once, apparently it was a last minute add-on show and hardly 10 people knew who he was. She was insanely excited, even if she was the only one having a blast while he played.

August 8th 2011

Too busy being emo fellas.

August 8th 2011

Probably, the night wasn't strictly one genre or anything so I could see where some would be put off by futurepop playing right after a solid rock show.