SuperHeaven
Dispirit

by Mary Paultese USER (35 Reviews)
August 8th, 2011 | 14 replies | 6,706 views

Review Summary: Pop punk has never been so depressing.

While many of their punk contemporaries continue to emphasize positivity in their music, PA-based Daylight, instead take a different approach. Their melodic hardcore/emo sound is reminiscent of 90s bands such as Small Brown Bike and Texas is the Reason, but amplifies the aspects of sorrow and misery to a point that the listener cannot help but feel moved. Ironically, Taylor Madison, the guitarist and vocalist for Daylight, was formerly the front man for the pop punk band Bangarang! (whose main intent was to play fun, upbeat music).

Daylight’s second official EP, Dispirit, contains three songs, each dealing with self-loathing, depression, and hopelessness, none of which seem to offer a solution to misery. In the first track, Selfish, we hear Taylor explain his internal struggle with suicidal thoughts, saying ”The only reason I’m still alive, I can’t stand to see my mother cry”. For the most part, the lyrics are brutally honest and gripping, but can sometimes be a bit repetitive and general.

The three songs contain powerfully tense, yet melodic guitar leads that provide nice transitions and background noise for the vocals and heavily distorted rhythm guitar. Youth No More is a track that exemplifies this, while the lyrics describe the difficult end of adolescence. This is a standout track on the EP, and though not drastically different than the others musically or lyrically, it incredibly easy to relate to and honest. Something about hearing a grown man explain how he has “cried himself to sleep” is powerfully haunting.

The final track, Two of a Kind, displays more traditional, clean pop punk vocals, and though the melody is simplistic, it is catchy and works well. The EP comes to a close as Taylor sings ”Oh, I ***ing hate myself, and I hate you too, and I hope you’re well aware”, and an acoustic guitar plays off the band for the final two minutes. If Daylight could part ways with typical lyrics such as these yet remain consistent with their songwriting and emotion, then their upcoming full length will be one of 2012's best records. While they may be "youth no more", Daylight is still a young band with plenty of potential to progress.

Saves the Day Can't Slow DownHouse Boat 21st Century Breakroom
Joie de Vivre We're All Better Than ThisState Lines State Lines
Light Black Ex WivesDaytrader Twelve Years

August 8th 2011

I didn't mean to do a track by track, but it kind of came out that way since it's such a short EP.

August 8th 2011

"Their melodic hardcore/emo sound is reminiscent of 90s bands such as Lifetime and Texas is the Reason..."

Stopped reading and went to download.

edit: This is great. I didn't know this was the dude from Bangarang! I emailed for a bit looking for Bangarang! merch.

Digging: Devo - Freedom of Choice

August 8th 2011

I've listened to some Bangarang! but never downloaded any of their albums. I should probably get on that. There is too much music.

But yeah I feel like there has been a ton of music like this coming out lately. Title Fight, Basement, etc is all very 90s influenced melo hardcore or whatever you wanna call it. Speaking of which I'm seeing both these guys and Basement this month.

August 8th 2011

You can download 11 Bangarang! songs on their myspace, at least you used to be able to, for free. Yeah, so much good melodic hardcore/emo/pop punk whatever the fuck it is lately. New This Time Next Year, Transit and Man Overboard within the next 2 months, too. Not to mention NFG!

Damn your living on the East Coast and catching all of the cool shows.

August 8th 2011

Yeah CT shows rule hard. NEW TRANSIT CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT. I bet there are a lot of dubstep breakdowns now that they're on Rise.

August 8th 2011

Obviously. womp womp womp womp

dansxdead
August 26th 2011

I think even if Transit how dubstep breakdowns I'd still love them. loljk

dansxdead
August 29th 2011

I just saw Daylight and Basement today and let me say, Basement is one of the best bands I have ever seen live and I will patiently await their return to the US.

jlech
June 11th 2012

Seriously.... East Coast let some other areas of the country have good org core / melodic punk / PEPCORE (Poppy Emo Punk Core for Strength)

Quen
July 3rd 2012

selfish hit me so hard

MuhNamesTyler
January 24th 2013

Just what I was looking for

Spluger
September 11th 2013

I think Sinking and Jar are both pretty great but idk about this EP, it just doesn't do anything for me.

haydenslame