GZA
Liquid Swords

by Timeizillmatic9 USER (13 Reviews)
August 8th, 2011 | 29 replies | 7,152 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "I'm on a mission, niggaz say is impossible but when I swing my swords they all choppable" GZA slices the competition to bits with this legendary album

Liquid Swords to this day remains one of the crowning achievements in the history of hip-hop. It is almost universally respected by all critics and rap heads. Because so much has already said about this album, this reviewer feels the need only to gliss the surface of this amazing album to give new listeners an overview.

Liquid Swords is acknowledged as one of the 6 classic albums of the first wave of Wu-Tang affiliated albums. To be honest, it might be the best one of the bunch. GZA was already one of the more respected and known members of the clan, and he was the only member besides for Method Man to get a solo track on the Wu's seminal debut. GZA's smooth, slower flow made him stand out in contrast of other members' deliveries, especially the fast aggressive flows of Raekwon and Ghostface. Unlike Method Man however, GZA operates best on a solo spotlight, and never has he been better than on this album.

RZA's production might be one of the main reasons this album is so well regarded today. Moving further away from the lo-fi sound characterized by the Clan's debut, and Ol' Dirty Bastard's first solo effort, RZA employs some of best kung fu sample to date, and experiments with different sounds, such as the muffled accordion layered beneath the title track. 4th Chamber makes use of a wild keyboard riff and atmospheric sounds to propel the track, while Cold World makes use of minor key strings and soulful vocals. These beats are among the best you'll find in the RZA catalogue.

Now on to the GZA's lyrical performance. GZA is a lyrical genius (no pun intended) who drops some of the most razor sharp lines and memorable lines I've ever heard. The title track is filled with quotables, such as "Lyrics are weak like clock radio speakers" and that very quote that grazes the top of this review. Labels is an interesting exercise in lyricism, as GZA contructs the song entirely out the names of different record labels. The Genius uses stark realism and gritty narrative on Cold World, one of the album's many highlights. There are some great guest appearances from other Wu members and affiliates. Shadowboxin' features a standout verse from Method Man, and Killah Priest shines on the album's closer B.I.B.L.E.

This is real, hard hitting hip-hop, with top class lyricism and production. If you haven't listened to it and claim you like hip-hop, get off your ass and buy it now. Wu-Tang forever baby.

Serengeti Kenny Dennis LPPurling Hiss Public Service Announcement
Chris Webby Webster's LaboratoryMaster P Ghetto D
Jay-Z The BlueprintDays Of The New Days of the New
4.6
kvltwalter (4.5)
Rhyming, label bashing, drug dealing, and shadowboxin' are all in a day's work for The GZA, Wu-Tang'...

Commortus (4.5)
I got mo mils than ho bitches got birth control pills...

◘_◘ ◘_◘ ◘_◘ ◘_◘ (5)
The best in East Coast hip-hop since 1995....

supraman_2 (5)

m/

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

Idnuf
August 8th 2011

This was in desperate need of a review

Killahit

I still might 5 this eventually

psykonaut

m/

August 8th 2011

Okay, I have to review this now.

Drsmith4
August 8th 2011

The hit was sent from the president to raid your residence
Because you had secret evidence and documents on how they rape the continents

psykonaut
August 8th 2011

camouflage chameleon, ninjas scalin your buildin, no time to grab the gun they already got your wife and children
one of my favorite verses ever

Homeslice
September 18th 2011

There are only around 10 rap albums that you can rate a classic without a dispute. This is a classic without a question.

The awesome thing is I found this album in vinyl at a record store in Brooklyn 4yrs ago, in-between a stack of used albums. I inspected the vinyl and it had a few nicks and scratches on it, though nothing from normal wear and tear and the sleeve was in great condition. I pull up to the counter and pass the vinyl to cashier along with a couple of other records. The cashier looks a bit dumfounded that they had such a gem at only $4!

September 18th 2011

Luckily for us all they're reissuing this on vinyl soon.

September 18th 2011

Maybe I should have waited to buy a copy then.

Nah lol.

Lucky bastard.

September 18th 2011

Not as lucky as paying four dollars for it, haha.

September 18th 2011

It would have been lucky had you paid 40 for it.

September 18th 2011

Yeah, I think that's actually about what I paid for it.

hikingmetalpunk
February 21st 2014

when cut across the neck a sound like waling winter winds is heard they say. I’d always hoped to cut someone like that some day. to hear that sound. but, to have it happen to my own neck is ridiculous.

zakalwe
February 21st 2014

Yep it's a right 'pain' in the neck

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star