Unearth
Darkness in the Light

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (196 Reviews)
August 8th, 2011 | 125 replies | 8,466 views

Review Summary: If it’s not broken, there is no need to fix it.

Unearth is:
Trevor Phipps - vocals
Buz McGrath - guitar
John Maggard - bass
Ken Susi - guitar
Justin Foley (this album)- drums

It seems this old motto is one that could be applied to many of Unearth’s albums and their latest release, Darkness In The Light is no exception. Unearth could be considered one of the metalcore genre’s essential bands alongside acts such as Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying. For Unearth, not much has changed over the course of their careers, from The Stings of Conscience to The March, Unearth has experienced a steady growth in their music and not surprisingly their fan base.

Slight line-up changes have caused the band to switch drummers before recording could begin and Derek Kerswill was replaced by Killswitch Engage’s own Justin Foley. In many ways this record could be considered a Killswitch/Unearth mash-up as Adam Dutkiewicz headlines the production team. The rest of the band however remains the typical Unearth line-up.

There is not too much to say about the sound other than it’s really the same old recipe for Unearth. However one noticeable change includes the clean vocals that are peppered over the course of the album, most notably towards the end of album opener ‘Watch It Burn’ and ‘Shadows In The Light’. It is easy to say that, Darkness In The Light is relatively up-beat and fast paced. The style is aggressive and hardcore infused and in typical Unearth fashion contains some rather interesting, well-crafted guitar solos. While Darkness In The Light maintains a high level of the listeners interest there are a few dragging moments around the middle section of the album. These dragging moments can be found in rather ‘filling’ tracks such as ‘Last Wish’ and ‘Coming Of The Dark’. There is nothing really disappointing about these tracks, they just lack some of the aggressive punch shown by other tracks such as ‘Watch It Burn’, ‘Eyes Of Black’ and ‘Disillusion’.

Unearth’s consistency can be seen as both a positive and a negative issue. It becomes a positive because a typical standard is met on most Unearth records and listeners’ can expect a quality listen every time they play an Unearth album. As much as this is a positive thing it also becomes a negative issue. Unearth display an unwillingness to be innovative or bend the rules of their own music, recycling musical ideas and riff patterns and if this becomes uninteresting, it creates a dragged out, some-what tiring listen. Fortunately the dragging is kept to a minimum and the album maintains its playback value.

As always musicianship is of a high standard throughout the entire of the record. From crunching breakdowns, stomp riffs, interesting vocal phrases to exciting guitar solos. There is much here to maintain the interest of the listener. Unfortunately the bass work of John Maggard hugs too close to the rhythm section of the guitars and blends to well in the music. With interest centered on the lead work of the guitars and the vocals, the bass falls into the background and gets missed in the mix. While Justin Foley is a talented enough musician, his drum work neither improves nor lowers the overall standard of the music he is helping create.

Darkness In The Light, overall is a great album. There are many memorable quality tracks outweighing a couple of fillers that mar an otherwise excellent record. Darkness In The Light is an excellent show of each respective members talents. Musicianship is what holds this album together, driven by a well done production, Darkness In The Light will keep the metalcore fans coming back for more. Those diving in head first into this album should be aware that Unearth are as consistent as it goes. “If it’s not broken, there is no need to fix it.”

Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Miserable Failure HopeBong Stoner Rock
Devin Earl (4)
Unearth is back with a heavy album that will get anyone's head banging!...

August 8th 2011

My take on this. What do you think?

August 8th 2011

I think you wrote a great review! Good job. ;)

August 8th 2011

Lol, thanks pizza. I figured i better up the quality levels. Let me know if you see anything that's out of place or grammatically incorrect. (or just plain stupid)

Hawks
August 8th 2011

I still need to hear this.

Digging: Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses

August 8th 2011

There's nothing wrong with the review dude, I just saw like one apostrophe out of place. : )

August 8th 2011

I still need to hear this.

It's pretty steady, just don't go into it looking for anything new in their sound.

I just saw like one apostrophe out of place. : )

?? If that's all that's wrong i can fix that up.

jayfatha

I guess I should give it a listen too. Pos'd

August 8th 2011

Cheers jayfatha, should be in the top half of anyones "metalcore, to get list" just maybe not right at the top.

metalcore genre’s essential band’s

Alright then, just fix that!

On it ; ]

Edit: All Sorted.

Thanks for the votes guys!

Did you mean "brodowns"?

Definitely not.

breakdowns nowadays are brodowns

Pharoh

brodown hoedown

False breakdowns?
I should print your comment off so i have something to use as toilet paper later.....

Pharoh

obvious troll alt is obvious

obvious troll alt is obvious

I prefer subtle trolls.

whatever happened to the good ol breakdowns like KSE's Temple From the Within

now it's all shitty binary code riffs

FrankRedHot
August 8th 2011

Pharoah= Obvious idiot is obvious.

August 8th 2011

Breakdowns used to add to the music and weren't overused, especially in the case of the first metalcore bands (Botch, Killswitch Engage, early As I Lay Dying). But they've become a trendy, redundant way to attract younger generation. It's sad, really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 8th 2011

I don't get it, what are you pointing out