Unearth
The March

by Devin Earl USER (10 Reviews)
August 3rd, 2011 | 14 replies | 2,912 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hail The Shrine!!!

The Boston, Massachusetts quintet Unearth, have released their third full length album titled The March.

First and foremost, The March is still a metalcore record. It relies on breakdowns, thrashy hardcore riffs, and amazing solos that Unearth has very much developed over the years into their own sound. The March is a crisp, energetic, attitude ridden album that only Unearth has the ability to produce. For me, the fact that you can pick up an Unearth record and expect good to great work is very re-assuring in a world where metal bands are constantly changing their identities in order to become more hip.

Despite The March being metalcore, it is still more metal than core in every respect. In fact, it might be easier to call this a modern metal album with hardcore overtones given the level of awesome solos that pop everywhere in just about every song. Not many metal American bands seem to pull off solos like Unearth does, and it’s a very telling virtue that they possess. In addition to the solos, Derek Kerswill is an excellent drummer in the same style as Killswitch Engage’s Justin Foley, meaning awesome fills while the guitarists interweave some great riffs. Also, very few drummers can lead into a breakdown like Derek can, which is a plus.

Probably one of the only drawbacks for this album is that the band tends to rehash some old riffs from previous albums. While this isn’t especially awful considering the riffs still have mileage in them, it makes the album a bit stale in comparison to being the great album it could have been. “Crow Killer” I think relies a bit too much on the breakdowns throughout, but does have a killer solo (like most songs) in its midst. Overall, this isn’t really a huge deal because Unearth does manage to spice things up with a few new riffs here and there that make us wanting more, oh, and did I mention the solos? Basically, don’t expect anything new on this album. In fact, if I am being honest, I’d have to say this is their weakest album to date, though this doesn’t mean much because all of their previous albums are quite good. Essentially, if it weren’t for the tight musicianship and amazing solos, this might be much less palatable.

Recommended Tracks

Unearth Darkness in the LightUpon a Burning Body The World Is Ours
Decrepit Birth PolarityI, the Breather These Are My Sins
Sevendust Cold Day MemoryEmmure Speaker of the Dead
Damrod EMERITUS (4)
An excellent effort by Unearth, going further on the road leading from the dead-end called "metalcor...

August 3rd 2011

it's been a while since i've reviewed. suggestions and tips please.

August 3rd 2011

yeah dude. My Will Be Done says it all.

fsharptrit0ne
August 3rd 2011

is that the one with the tapping intro?

someguest

20340 Comments

Come on dude, this album is awful.

Digging: Your Old Droog - Your Old Droog

FearThyEvil
August 3rd 2011

Too many boring parts within this album I'm dropping it to a 3 some songs save it from being painfully average.

FrankRedHot
August 3rd 2011

I use to think this was bad, until I heard their latest album.

Carnifex

1918 Comments

Album is bland, Oncoming Storm and III shit all over this.

August 3rd 2011

The oncoming storm is still the best.

ShadowRemains

20252 Comments

i remember when i thought this was good...

kerswill kinda sucks js

Pr0nogo
August 4th 2011

Review is running the line between average-lengthed and too short, so I won't post or neg yet. Decent description, though, good job on that.

I haven't rated this band yet, so time to fix that.

NocteDominum
August 4th 2011

Sorry about the time it took for me to get back to ya bud, had to pull a 12 hour trial shift yesterday, (chefs apprenticiship), but i'm here now so it's okay lol.

I don't know why but introductory sentences like this bug me, maybe combine this in the first paragraph, for example:

Hailing from Boston Unearth release their third full length album titled The March. Being a metalcore record, it relies on the use of breakdowns, thrashy guitar riffs .........

The March is still a metalcore record with Despite The March being metalcore

I don't know about using still in that sentence. And you mention metalcore twice. But i do notice the description is expanded in the second use. ie. the 'more metal than core' bit.

And i'm not sure whether you meant for it, but your last paragraph has a switch in persona. Starting with: “Crow Killer” I think relies a bit too much on the breakdowns throughout, but does have a killer solo (like most songs) in its midst.

Bolded section could do with a re-wording, but it does have a killer solo that compliments the music well and draws the attention of the listener
__________________________________
Your descriptions have come pretty far man, and this is my favourite Unearth album thus far. Your ideas are all good, we just got to get you to expand on some points. Well done bro, pos.

Thanks ipod.