I Am Abomination
The Passion Of The Heist

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
July 25th, 2011 | 29 replies | 10,978 views

Review Summary: originality is lacking, but it's still loads of fun.

If you thought I Am Abomination’s last album, To Our Forefathers, was pretty goofy, you haven’t seen anything yet. While their previous album was loosely based around a concept, The Passion Of The Heist is an unashamed concept EP – I’ll give you one guess what the story is about. If you guessed that the story involves aliens from outer space abducting someone, dissecting him, and eventually killing off the human race, then you are correct! If any band could do this concept properly, it would have to be this one right? With their technical riffing, generally fun attitude, and random sci-fi sounds/synthesizers, they could definitely present this cheese on a platter of good music. In fact, they have, and it’s time to take notice of this band. They definitely aren’t breaking new grounds with their story about an alien invasion, but they sure know how to tell it.

A sea of eyes beneath me.
They're watching me as I increase in altitude.
Though my future is tainted, what a beautiful view.
Scared to death, on the edge of distress.
My blood is pumping, heart is racing as I enter the nest.

With an EP such as this, it gives the band good reason to fool around, and that’s just what they do. However, this isn’t a fun encounter with aliens, which the ominous, vivid lyrics remind us. Also, I Am Abomination have attempted to grit up their slick, cheesy, metal this time, although they do not always succeed. They are now appropriately heavier at times, and even borrowed Caleb Shomo for some screams in ‘Ascension’. The band have taken the ridiculous concept quite seriously, and it pays off in the end. Unfortunately though, despite the band’s efforts, their fun brand of metal often contradicts the dark theme of the lyrics. Their music is still catchy as ever, with the front man still singing zany vocal hooks that are clean, and easy to listen to, and therefore the music just isn’t convincingly moody. There are many contradictions afoot in the EP, but if one can accept it for what is – fun – all negatives can be safely ignored. Ultimately, whether or not the concept is executed properly, the EP is still a blast to listen to, and a worthy follow up to their previous album.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

Hello, mortals.

Hello, mortal.

Wow, another release from these guys? That was quick.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

July 25th 2011

Yup! I'm not complaining.

bowlofsoup

Nice review. Pos'd

drewkar
July 25th 2011

Abduction is pretty good, I hope the rest of EP is as good as that track.

Digging: Hoth - Oathbreaker

July 25th 2011

Sold on gimmicky yet totally awesome concept.

July 25th 2011

The album cover is pretty cool.

Leatherneck

Digging: Artifex Pereo - Time In Place

FearThyEvil

I like the cover art.

Jruined
July 25th 2011

Singer reminds me of Casey Crescenzo from the dear hunter. Pretty alright. Probably get 2 or 3 more listens out of me before I shelf it.

Jruined

Good review by the way.

Acanthus
July 25th 2011

I remember passing up their debut, though I rec'd it to many people when I worked at Hot Topic.

Giving this a listen now, concept might be cheesy but I really can't recall the last time I heard an album based around it.

Digging: The Cure - The Head on the Door

July 25th 2011

Will check this out. Could never get into this band but the guitar playing is great.

OneMoreRoland
July 25th 2011

I really like their first EP. Debut was cool. Im excited to check this out. Thanks god for Joey Sturgis keeping his dirty hands off it

Spec
July 26th 2011

These guys can play guitar very well. I can't lie, I was expecting them to be awful.

listening now

GOD THE FUCKING GUITAR WORK.

Glorious isn't it?

July 26th 2011

not really digging this song with caleb shomo
it's not caleb, just not a great song
but the solo is the tits

Pebster49
July 26th 2011

I loved the song Greeting from Easter Island from their last album. Can't wait to hear this.

Pebster49
July 26th 2011

"hey, well we realized we can't write decent serious lyrics so here is an alien concept album!"

who says aliens are not serious? Do you believe we alone?