Suicide Silence
The Cleansing

good

by DarkZX USER (1 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2011 | 70 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album can get rather generic at times, but it is worth checking out.

This will tear you apart sideways... I love these guys, they aren't that original, but damn are they heavy, I love this style of music, I know quite a few people don't like it, but you should really get into it, it's great music to go moshing to, absolutely intense and adrenaline pumping. However, while these guys may be awesome, they can be rather generic sometimes, as quite a few songs sound nearly the same, it really brings these guys down from being a top notch death core band. However this was their first album and they still had a lot to learn. Let's go into a track by track review.

Track 1: Revelations (Intro):
An intro leading into the first track, not a song. Still kinda cool though.
Track Rating: N/A

Track 2: Unanswered:
"WHERE IS YOUR ***ING GOD?!" When these lyrics blare in your face you will go nuts, it's like this track was made to force feed adrenaline down your throat, holy damn I was headbanging in my room while listening to this. This song is nothing but amazing high and low screams with blistering guitar and drums. I have to say I enjoyed the vocals the best on this song, they really get you pumping, in combination with the great guitar as well. Definitely a recommended track.
Track Rating: 8.9/10 (Very Good)

Track 3: Hands of a Killer:
Killer drums and guitars in the introduction, however the vocals don't really go with the song in my opinion, which kills it for me, this song does have some nice flow though.
Track Rating: 7.5/10 (Good)

Track 4: The Price of Beauty:
"Holding you down by your throat, just enough to keep your ***ing mouth shut, can’t stand to hear you scream god, because he's not ***ing here." As you can tell, the singer is raging like crazy, they all do a really good job in this song, however the drums are the biggest stand out in this song, as they carry the song up on its own. The only complaint I have about this song is about halfway in the riffs get generic for a bit and that's why this song isn't that much of a blood pumper for me.
Track Rating: 7.7/10 (Good)

Track 5: The Fallen:
Cool title, not cool song. Too generic, not enough experimentation was done, they played it too safe.
Track Rating: 4.9/10 (Below Average)

Track 6: No Pity for a Coward:
Starts off interesting and speedy as hell, but then dissolves into something generic.
Track Rating: 5.1/10 (Average)

Track 7: The Disease:
Hell yes, speed, with originality in the riffs, classic death metal style drums combined with pretty damn harsh lyrics and some speedy guitar work. I have to say, I really enjoyed the alteration of the vocals in this, usually the vocalist alters between high and low styles of screaming, but he incorporated some slight cleans into this song, however not that much to make it stand out as a perfectly good song. It's pretty awesome.
Track Rating: 8.6/10 (Very Good)

Track 8: Bludgeoned to Death:
Moar generic songs plox.
Track Rating: 5.2/10 (Average)

Track 9: Girl of Glass:
Pretty sick riffs, not much else, however I like the addition of the breakdowns, as they weren't the usual copy paste ones from the core genre's, they were pretty intense and showed some originality. Decent song.
Track Rating: 7.6/10 (Good)

Track 10: In a Photograph:
Really great guitars, again, more classic death metal style drums, however I felt the bland vocal work in this song dragged it down to a lower rating. It could have been better.
Track Rating: 7.4/10 (Good)

Track 11: Eyes Sewn Shut:
I want to mosh to this song... really badly.... This is a great adrenaline pumper. The drums are even faster than before, the guitar is in your face and his vocals make you want to scream out of sheer blood and intensity. However, all is not perfect with this song, they use the same similar riff style, however the occasional thrown in bass solo's are really nice.
Track Rating: 7.9/10 (Good)

Track 12: Green Monster:
Long and rather annoyingly generic, however the drums save it from being completely average.
Track Rating: 6.4/10 (Above Average)

Track 13: Destruction of a Statue:
A death core melody... Strange? *** no, this song is brutal as hell, the guest vocalist was pretty spot on, as the vocals were definitely a highlight of this song along with the guitars. Easily the best song on the album, this is the kind of song that would get on the news for something like this "teenager killed in brutal mosh pit". This song shows some of the potential they have.
Track Rating: 9.0/10 (Amazing)

Overall Album Rating:
6.63 (Above Average)

2.9
good
BlastRiffsBeatTechno (3)
After a re-listening of Suicide Silence's debut, I have now had a good change of heart....

Jody78 (4)
This is possibly one of the best deathcore albums out there due to the fact it was recorded live it ...

boristhebladexx (3)
Heavy as balls, Suicide Silence's debut CD The Cleansing is 45 minutes of crushing death metal....

Brandon Burton (3)
"The Cleansing" is Suicide Silence's major label debut that will appeal to some. Not so much to othe...

Iluvatar

youre doing it wrong

July 23rd 2011

hahahahaha you actually posted it

July 23rd 2011

This review is what I imagine Naruto and Magikarp's child would resemble.

best reviewer on site

someone make him a contributor

July 23rd 2011

review is all kinds of shit and blows to epic proportions

July 23rd 2011

i especially like this part

July 23rd 2011

I like the quotes of all the great lyrics

July 23rd 2011

the entire track two part is just literary gold

July 23rd 2011

was this room one with padded walls and were you wearing your "special" white jacket

Iluvatar
July 23rd 2011

Cool title, not cool song.

July 23rd 2011

that was a dumb comment moose im sorry

July 23rd 2011

Pretty sure your final average rating for this album is not specific enough.

Plus, if you halved it, it'd be 3.315, which is closer to 3.5 than 3. Just so you know.

July 23rd 2011

@ uhhkriss - i'm tired and bored, it was the first thing that came to mind lol.

July 23rd 2011

No worries, here to help. Seriously though, if you put your own rating on an album, it has to be to 3 decimal places. People get pissy at the lack of conviction otherwise.

"Wow.........."

@ DarkZX - didn't think you'd get such good feedback huh? see we're not all dicks. even though we may not be a fan of you as a person we can at least recognize good writing when we see it

AND THIS IS SUCH GOOD WRITING

July 23rd 2011

i'd go as far to say that it's one of the best first reviews i've ever seen

@DarkZX - no problem bro. let beegones by beegones and all that

July 23rd 2011

I dunno, the album rating did go up from 3 to 3.5...

July 23rd 2011

@DarkZX - well maybe but this is the best one i've seen, and i can tell u one thing, i read a LOT of reviews. if you catch my drift ;-)

dark he's joking jesus