Sepultura
Nation

by nibblinghellgoat USER (1 Reviews)
July 21st, 2011 | 21 replies | 6,512 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Massively underrated

In retrospect, this second effort from the often-maligned post-Max Sepultura suffered commercially for its poor timing; had this been their first outing, I think things might have been a little bit different. As it is, a lot of people heard 'Against', compared it with the first Soulfly album and decided that Max had taken all the creativity with him when he left.

So those are the circumstances by which I've always felt this album was criminally overlooked - what of the content? First off, this is easily the most melodic and diverse Sepultura have ever sounded. There's a new, bouncy lead-riff style best exemplified by 'Vox Populi' and the opening track 'Sepulnation' that really drives Derrick Green's lyrics home. And those vocals, along with the tone of the album, has a much greater dymanic range than we'd seen before. Green's shouts change in tone and - gasp - pitch. He even does some actual singing.

It's tempting to attribute this diversity to the number of guest appearances on the album, until you read down the list and realise there isn't even close to the glut of contributors that had appeared on 'Roots' and 'Against'. Sepultura can calls this their own; and categorising it beyond the catch-all "metal" proves to be a challenge. Its core is the rhythmic post-thrash/groove metal that was established on 'Chaos A.D.' (itself pretty difficult to pin down to a given sub-genre), augmented with a new melodic style of writing and the odd well-placed excursion into dub, hardcore punk and even classical music - 'Valtio' is the supposed anthem of the nation that lies at the centre of the album's concept. (I use "concept" for lack of a better word - I can't help but think that a concept album must, by definition, have me cringing in the corner.)

So they really pinned it down here - the music's great, it's different, it sounds absolutely massive in some places - the chorus of 'Border Wars' springs to mind - and ridiculously catchy in others - see 'Who Must Die?'. Jello Biafra's appearance is, as with his previous (lyrical only) contribution 'Biotech is Godzilla', on point and topical. Derrick's opening lines "a nation built on sweat, a nation built on blood, a nation built on dreams" are delivered with a new-found confidence backed up by the band. The whole thing just screams unity of purpose.

It's difficult to know what spooked Sepultura after this record. This was their last for Roadrunner, understandably perhaps as the label was apparently much more interested in pushing departed vocalist Max Cavalera's Soulfly project. Notably Roadrunner failed to finance a promo video for 'One Man Army' and ultimately the band shuffled off onto SPV and followed 'Roorback', which firmly sandwiched this album between two certifiable duds - leaving most fans to write off the pre-'Dante XXI' Derrick-era Sepultura records altogether.

Sad, because I think this is easily the best album they've produced since Max left, but more recent efforts suggest they're content now to thrash away at increasingly anonymous material until the end of time.

2.4
Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (2)
A tired, lifeless effort....

Leviathan8937
July 22nd 2011

Sadly I don't agree with you ,everything that Sepuluta has made sepultura after roots sucks

Pyosisified

after arise*

NocteDominum
July 22nd 2011

Thought this would have had a couple of reviews. Looks pretty good for a first.

everything that Sepuluta has made sepultura after roots sucks

This years release isn't so bad.

pacedown
July 22nd 2011

its a point of view. me i love the Load album of Metallica while many others think it sucks. so i appreciate how the reviewer loves the record. not a bad review either.

none
July 22nd 2011

what in the name of all that is good

ShadowRemains

20246 Comments

this is unbelievably bad

lostforwords
July 22nd 2011

I really liked the review, however I don't really agree with the mark, I think Nation drags a little towards the end. I believe Dante is their best post Max album

Gene
July 22nd 2011

Shocked to see someone who actually enjoyed this release. I personally thought it was horrible and way to bland. That and Against were my two worst

linchpin313
July 22nd 2011

The first Sepultura album i purchased and still is one of my fave of theirs... holds good memories.

Good review man, Pos'd

KronosRage
July 22nd 2011

This is a really bad album

XGoDDamaGeX
August 4th 2011

What hell are u taking about this is one of there best albums, yeah maybe its not there ussual thrash but like its said eariler at least u can understand them..... They had to find a new found sickness to ajust....the leads voice is perfect contrast to the music they bond almost like the band sevendust. They were just playing the rite sound in the wrong year anywayz most new metal artist look upto sepultra as greats with out the bs of beening main stream... X LaTeRz X

December 7th 2011

Border Wars is an amazing song. But album is not.

thumbcrusher
March 3rd 2012

i'm usually a defendant of the Green era but this is pretty poor

terrible

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

March 3rd 2012

Yeah it sucks ass besides "Border Wars"

cant remember it lol

March 3rd 2012

i think ur forgetting deliverance came out the year after

sylosis...ugh

gigioneumatica
September 27th 2013

I agree with the description. An "underrated album". Good songs, great stuff and versatile!

you have it inside, Max! you should never have quit the band!

September 27th 2013