Sinew
The Beauty of Contrast

by Powerban USER (9 Reviews)
July 20th, 2011 | 10 replies | 4,005 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Overlooked band makes an album. What's new?

The Beauty Of Contrast is one of those albums that falls under the radar. It's really strange how an album like this can go unnoticed, but a band like Fair To Midland can be an instant hit. It's probably because of where the band is based. Their proggy alt-rock origins aren't backed by thousands of Australians, nor do they have the pulling power of being in a locale such as America where word of mouth can promote bands with a cult status to an iconic state overnight. Sinew hail from Marburg in Germany, a place not known for this type of music. However they definitely deserve to be noticed as being on the upper echelon like Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Fair To Midland, Rishloo and the like.

Like all the bands within this genre, their vocalists tend to have amazing vocal range. This doesn't change with Sinew. Sascha Junker can croon along in a similar way to Maynard James Keenan. He can also belt them out in a similar way to Darroh from Fair To Midland. Don't let that that betray you into thinking he sounds unoriginal, his tone is quite different. Sascha Junker also takes care of all keyboard, some percussion and all the samples within the album. Instead of the lyrical subjects being superficial love songs, they're instead written about the path humans are taking. He is the main force within the band, but that doesn't mean the rest of the band should be ignored. The bassist can literally take over a song with his entrancing bass playing. In particular, the whole of the last song is controlled by a bassline with a hypnotic groove which makes a befitting outro to the album. The drumming and guitar work are above par, with each one having their highlights. The drum fills are quite technical when analyzed and they add the perfect build up to Sascha unleashing over the top of them. Combined with the licks, riffs and spaceyness from the guitarist they all do their part in cohesion.

With the albums consistant quality, it's hard to point out where its faults lie. The album has no over-the-top qualities. Sinew doesn't have Fair To Midland's experimentalism, Rishloo's spasmodic vocal approach and the instant catchyness of Dead Letter Circus. While not having the qualities of aformentioned bands, they pull it off well.

Suggested tracks: Charging Loki, Eidolon, Lost/Found, The Allegory Of The Cave

Sika Redem EntheogenFields of Locust Subtopia
Leech The Stolen ViewAmenra Mass IIII
The Paper Chase Someday This Could All Be Yours Vol.1Tephra A Modicum Of Truth
Wunderbar007 (4.5)
Let Sinew be one of the first good things in your life this year....

July 20th 2011

Haven't reviewed anything in a while but I seen that this wasn't reviewed.

Get on it.

Check out Charging Loki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9CWpDNjGPc

Crowe
July 21st 2011

I listened to the song, and I just don't think it's my thing. There are a lot of users that would like this a lot though.

July 21st 2011

Yeah, having a brief look over your ratings it might not be your thing. But you're completely right
about the potential they have here.

Charging Loki is their easiest to digest, but I'm going to link Lost/Found for the killer bassline as
well.

LG
July 22nd 2011

Good review, me thinks I'll have to give this a go sometime soon

July 23rd 2011

It shouldn't disappoint.

Vooligan

Really like this.

Thanks for the rec, Powerban.

cb123

2006 Comments

awesome, someone reviewed this! Great album everyone needs to have a spin of, nice review man

July 24th 2011

I've had the album for ages. I was surprised there wasn't a review for it. They're recording their next album at the moment too.

cb123

2006 Comments

oh sweet, would be real keen to hear what they come up with

Drpibb
December 10th 2011

their new stuff sounds amazing, from the youtube clips